Man...It comes and goes fast

For sure.
I've always got out fishing as much as I can.
And when I am out there, I make the most of my time

Been with a lot of people who wrap it up early, to get home at a decent time.
I stay until the fish stop rising, or I absolutely can't see the fly anymore.
Guess that's why I need to drive by myself.....
We would get along great. My wife hasn’t fished with me in probably 30 years but when I get home really late, she jokes, “how many last casts did you make?”. It used to drive her nuts when she fished with me.

Agree. The four streams that I love fishing the most each year have me waiting for the water to get to 58F-60F. Some years they never hit that temp.
That's awesome.. Really, really awesome.

Do flows remain good most summers on them?

once i had kids. time flys by. before that everything seemed slow motion. i fished hard march-now for trout. its that time of year for me to switch over to bass,carp, and wet wading. let the good times roll. i love trout fishing. but they just cant compare to a fiesty smallmouth or a 20 pound carp getting you into your backing. memorial day weekend for me is time to put the 3 and 4 weights down and break out the 7 and 8 weights.

I love the early summer shift on those cold creeks, myself, and I love the winter too. As others have said, there is water to fish. Fishing by 5:30 AM done by 9, and you have the rest of your day to do other things, like nap....

Is it just because I'm older? Nah... I think it has to do with being so rainy this spring. But WOW it was like I was waiting for grannoms just a bit ago bit then I fished in a green drake hatch on Saturday. Yeesh. Is it just me? Anybody else? \
Syl.
I resemble that remark!

Not really.
I started fishing BWO's this year first week of February.
And they can go for a good 2 months or more.

Hendricksons - my favorite - started last week of march on a central pa limestoner, (which I contacted you about)
After a week pause for high water first week of April, I continued fishing them again on Kettle creek for two weeks.
Then fished them on the Clarion river for another 2 weeks after that, when it got wadable.
And finally on to the Delaware river earlier this month, where they were still going strong as of a week ago.
Spent a month and a half just fishing them alone.

Sulphers starting now, and can be fished right through June and into July.
Often with Iso's too

And even once the spring hatches finally wind down, I catch fish on terrestrials all summer and fall.
It pays to move around
I think Kev means he fishes when he can at any point in the year. I don't plan my trips around hatches because that's too limiting for me. Between kids, work and adult responsibilities if I get a day I go. Kind of sucks I live so far away from decent trout fishing though, makes a quick trip for a few hours impossible.

For me and the streams I fish, the best fishing is just starting. Late spring early summer evenings, plenty of bugs and rising trout to frustrate you. Dark at 9:00, water Temps in low 60s, doesn't get better than that.

As mentioned above you gotta move around. Yearly I fish small streams early, moderate streams mid season and large rivers last. Take advantage of high water on small creeks early, and the low water on large rivers later. Also a general rule for me is to fish prime water in marginal conditions, and marginal water in prime conditions. Keeps you away from the crowds and ontop of fish most of the year.

Hatches seemed to be moving at warp speed by me. And temps just touched the mid-high 60s the past 2 days.

Water temps touched the mid-60's? Oh boy, put away the trout rods, boy. It is time to catch bluegill on your spincasters with a bobber and some butter worms.
68 is a bit high for me. But you do you boy.

68 is a bit high for me. But you do you boy.
68 degrees is my cutoff for trout fishing. I would hang it up if the water is 68. It is pretty early for any real "trout stream" to be 68 degrees, and I bet none of the waters I trout fish are 68 yet. Most are never 68 degrees or, at best, they hit 68 degrees or just slightly higher at their lowest and warmest time of the year.

Thanks for encouraging me to do me. That is why this weekend I am going to drown worms in my jon boat at Little Buffalo State Park. I'm hoping to catch some panfish to fry on the open fire around camp that night. It should be fun. Wish me luck. Actually, I will probably toss tiny flies on my 4 weight looking for those panfish, but I am sure that my woman and step son will drown worms in search of dinner.

68 degrees is my cutoff for trout fishing. I would hang it up if the water is 68. It is pretty early for any real "trout stream" to be 68 degrees, and I bet none of the waters I trout fish are 68 yet. Most are never 68 degrees or, at best, they hit 68 degrees or just slightly higher at their lowest and warmest time of the year.

Thanks for encouraging me to do me. That is why this weekend I am going to drown worms in my jon boat at Little Buffalo State Park. I'm hoping to catch some panfish to fry on the open fire around camp that night. It should be fun. Wish me luck. Actually, I will probably toss tiny flies on my 4 weight looking for those panfish, but I am sure that my woman and step son will drown worms in search of dinner.
bluegills are fun on the fly, so hope you get into them.

looked at my regular trout streams and most hit 68 yesterday afternoon. gonna be hotter today so it's early
fishing if your hunting trout. looks like mostly smallies for me going forward.

Temps on Manatawny Creek got to 71 or so yesterday. I wanted to look for risers in the evening, but ended up not fishing. No worries though. It will cool down next week. It just got way too hot the last couple days. Cooler temps on the horizon.

Time has been flying it seems, between work, family and trips out of state I haven't fished PA much. I was hoping to get up to Central PA in May but that looks like its not happening.

I'm not complaining though, the last month I've gotten to fish in Western PA for brookies, Cape Cod for Stripers, and this upcoming weekend Vermont for whatever fish is willing to bite/gooooood beer.

bluegills are fun on the fly, so hope you get into them.
Bluegills are awesome fly rod quarry. Especially when they are smacking dries as soon as they hit the water.

Bluegills are awesome fly rod quarry. Especially when they are smacking dries as soon as they hit the water.
Catching slabs and gills on the fly rod is how I got started. Reliable action and great sport imo. Perfect for someone just breaking into FF.

While mid 60s and slightly more is not necessally lethal, I find temps greater than 64 subdues hatching activity or it becomes a after dark affair. Morning usually has the lowest water temps during a warm spell.

Back