loops for leaders

I have used the Orvis braided loops in the past. If you decide to go that route I recommend adding some sort of adhesive to keep it from slipping. I followed the instructions on the packaging to the letter, but had two of them fail on me. Luckily, I didn't have a fish on the line on either occasion.

I'm also a nail knot guy. I've found in some lines the loops tend to sink faster over time than the line right behind the loop. Or come out kinked when I nail knot a piece than loop. I need to try a perfection next time.

On my bigger rods (pike and salmon) I also run a section of 20-30lb mono than a double surgeon loop works fine. Or the heavy end of a leader nail than cut and loop to get the loop u want if you don't have any heavy line handy. I don't like this on a grayling or trout rod as much, the knots I use don't always come out straight. I'm too stubborn to learn a new system lol! Or lazy. Not sure which.

The nail knot tools are really too big. I loose straws and pens. I prefer a large saftey pin. For u military types I would save the pins from 5.56 ammo. They are ALMOST too small for anything larger than a trout leader and I have at times had to cut a small section of the heavy end of the tippet off. I'm running low on pins. Simple solution is to jump to a larger size saftey pin.

To keep the coils from jumping I pinch firmly and at an angle. My idea is to keep the coils together by getting them to all lay over. The saftey pin isn't so big that the coils are huge like on a nail knot tool. My buddy can use them, for the life of me I cannot. Once u pull the pin, just snug the coils. Position the knot and tighten it up. It really is simple.

Keep the pin snapped under the opening in a vest or pack. I usually have a few they come in handy for wind knots and other oops's as well. Simple cheap effective and easy.

I still carry a nippers, some with the nail knot tool and to this day struggle with them lol. My buddy snaps them off forcefully. I end up looking like a rag doll covered in a rats nest ;)

Factory loops are fine. The hinging discussion is illogical.

Make sure you know how to connect a loop to loop. I have fished with fisherman much better than myself who simply did not know how to connect a fly line loop (be it factory or amazing so awesome self created loop) to an extruded leader.

Take the line loop and shove it through the opening of the leader, then take the tag end (the light line you will attach your fly to) and shove it back through the fly line loop. Pull everything through and you are golden. Hinging? LOL.

Back