loops for leaders

C

chuck2701

anyone like or dislike the loops you put on the fly line to connect the leader? I use them because I can not tie the nail knot. seem to work pretty good for me. any reason I shouldn't use them?

Chuck, there is nothing wrong with using the factory loops. Although I prefer to add my own loop. I use a needle knot which is just a type of nail knot. A nail knot is not difficult learn. Maybe I am just old school but I think all flyfishermen should learn how to tie the knots. I have found a few guys over the years on the stream bank being frustrated and not able to fish becaues they did not know how to tie certain knots. To me the learning part is a big part of the fun. Just my 2cents.

GenCon

I tie my own perfection loop into the fly line instead of buying the factory loops. I had the factory made loops fail before, so I switched to the perfection loop, and so far I've only tied one. I only use it for trout however, I imagine that a good sized bass would break it relatively easily.

You can also buy a tool for like 5 bucks that can help you tie the nail knot efficiently.

I prefer loop to loop connection. Being able to switch leaders is important to me.

I like the nail knot myself. I cut the loops off. IMO the nail knot just seems more streamlined.

When I first started fly fishing way back, last year, one of the guys at the Delaware River Club helped me set up my line. He nail knotted a heavy piece of mono on and then tied a perfection loop about a foot from the fly. Sorry I don't remember what weight the mono was, I'd guess about 30# test.
Later I talked to the guys at my local fly shop and they recommended this set up as well. So I've stuck with it.
I've learned to tie a version of the nail knot using a small tube. I use a piece of the tube that holds the ink in a Bic pen. About an inch long. I've seen others say they use a piece of drink box straw. I've never had to tie one on the stream but I can if I have to. I have a piece of tube in my pack if the need ever came up.
A little knot sense or super glue and it's not going anywhere. I've snagged trees and broke the leader at the perfection knot on the loop to loop connection. But the piece of mono was fine.

I cut off loops whether on line or leader, but I certainly understand the usefulness of them in quickly switching leaders and or tippet. I make too many casting mistakes and tailing looping a dry into a leader loop is a mess that does not happen if there is no loop there to start with. Same with dry/dropper fishing. This is how I do probably 90 percent of my fishing if not more.

On the other hand, if I grudgingly resigned myself to mainly nymphing for the day becuause of the conditions, then I would likely use one for the leader butt connection to the leader along with a tippet ring for the flexibility it allows to change sections quickly, escpecially if also using shot which dings up mono and needs replaced regularly.

Loops are ok for this because in all likelihood the delivery will be more open and hence avoid the loops getting snagged with flies during the cast. But I am using the same fly line so there is no getting around learning the nail knot for that first connection from line to leader butt, which then gets a perfection loop at the end.

I tie my nail knots free-hand and once learned is very easy. I have used knot tools but my experience with them was that they do not allow the exact placement of wraps without springing out of place when you remove the tool when using stiff, bulky mono. Can't rule out my own fumbling nature in that so it may not be the tool itself just my lack of ability to use one.

chuck2701 wrote:
anyone like or dislike the loops you put on the fly line to connect the leader? I use them because I can not tie the nail knot. seem to work pretty good for me. any reason I shouldn't use them?

if you are talking about the braided loop things..... TRASH THEM.

On the other hand, factory made welded loops, whipped loops or permanent mono butts with a perfection loop are the way to go. So convenient and should not have any effect on performance.

I don't like loops, it feels like a hinge. I nail knot the leader butt directly to my fly line. I tie my own leaders, and a few extra inches of midsection, that slowly gets reduced while changing tippet, doesn't seem to hurt my casting.

On my nymphing rigs I use one of the tiny steel o-rings between my sighter and tippet.

I don't know how some of you tie those nail knots free-hand. I can barely do it w/ a little piece of tube. They are definitely my bane.

I can't bring myself to cut a brand new fly line. If a new line has a welded loop in the end I attach my store bought leader with it's loop or tie a perfection loop in the leader butt if necessary.

After I've used the line for awhile and I get tired of the loop hanging up on my tip top guide I cut it off and nail knot a leader to the line. Apply a little UV Knot Sense over the knot and it is good to go.

I don't change leaders nearly as much as some people do. Just add or subtract tippet as I go through the season.

I will not use a loop and if the fly line has one, I will cut it off. I believe the leader turns over much better without it. I have been using an easy knot for almost 20 years. I learned it from great illustrations (as well as a blood knot) in a book by Art Lee titled something like "Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Streams". You need nothing except the fly line and leader to tie the knot. I cannot remember the actual knot name but it is something like "uni-splice" or "uni" knot. You can PM me if interested and I'll get you the information. I can tie the knot in less than a minute with just my fingers and I have NEVER had one slip. I do add a drop or two of UV Knot whatever just so that it flows through the guides easily but I guess it also strengthens the knot.

For those interested, the book I referenced above is no longer in print but is available used on Amazon in various conditions (both hardback and paperback). If I were going to recommend only 1 book to beginner's this would be my first choice. I'm sure others would recommend different books and their opinion is as valid as mine but for the prices of these used books, it sure can't hurt to have it in your library.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I don't know how some of you tie those nail knots free-hand. I can barely do it w/ a little piece of tube. They are definitely my bane.

No tool, tube, or nail needed. Really, it's very easy.

Nice Video Ed. Learn something new every day!

i use a plastic tube to create a nail knot or needle knot on a fly line - but i try wherever possible to buy Rio flylines as they are usually looped at both ends and i trust their loops 100%.

for any knot i ever tye in a fly line i cover it in a flexible cement like softex.

I tie a mono loop (surgeon's loop) to the end of my fly line with a nail knot. I also used to have a lot of trouble with the nail knot, but then I saw a video similar to the one posted and now nail knots are much easier to tie. No need to bother with a nail knot tool when you tie them like that!

Fwiw, I tried those braided loop thingers that you attach with shrink tubing. Didn't like them - I once had the loop and the whole leader come off while casting! Just lucky it wasn't in a fish.

Being a beginner myself I use the loop to loop. Why complicate things with tying a knot when you don't have to. The loop has done nothing to me to make me want to change. With fly line so expensive I also do not want to nip it away.

I don't like the factory loops my father taught me the perfection loop in my lone that's what I use everytime now

Lots of interesting insights here. I do use a loop to loop connection. The only problem I've ever had is the loop getting hung up in the tip guide. So now I whip all connections with red thread covered with a dab of flexament.
Coughlin

Back