Looking for sweet cased caddis pattern

Here is another pattern
http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5148.html

Look for Aaron Jasper's "Iced Cased Caddis" on youtube.... Very easy to tie and its a killer pattern. All the TPO flies are awesome fish catchers in my opinion. Good luck this season fellas

Look for Aaron Jasper's "Iced Cased Caddis" on youtube.... Very easy to tie and its a killer pattern. All the TPO flies are awesome fish catchers in my opinion. Good luck this season fellas

Intresting caddis sandfly.. good use of Turkey

Here is a link with lots of cased caddis patterns.
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/search/index.php?cx=014704887094750446699%3Anpg9oajabay&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=cased+caddis#1381

This one wins for looks but not sure i want to tie it..http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/patterns/cased-caddis-2/1836/

That last one looks REAL CLOSE to the "Stickbugs" i spoke of up there^^^^^ If you all read what i wrote closely you'll see that i don't say they won't eat them , I say they don't eat them. What i mean is that when they , the stickbugs , are piled up in the eddies in bunches , i've never seen a trout go in there and actively feed from the mass of readily available food , but , when they are ready to hatch/emerge , i'm sure their behavior changes and probably the color , when they are in that pre emergence stage they signal something to the fish like maybe vulnerability or better taste or something and at that stage the fish DO eat them. If someone can show me absolute proof that they feed on them when they are in piles in the slackwater eddies , probably the most vulnerable stage of their life , i'll eat my fishing hat. Sandfly.....the more i look at that last one the better it looks , it's an almost exact imitation of what they look like in that stage of life but..........have you ever seen a trout or a fish of any kind go in the eddies in the piles and actively feed on them? I think that right before they hatch , when they start to move around and get ready to head up top , a switch goes off and the fish eat them. I can't explain what i mean any better than that but as an example , hellgramites , if you find them in the winter months up higher on the bank , out of the water maybe under a log. In that stage the fish will not bother them. They must taste bad or not provide enough nutrition or something. If you find a hellgramite under a rock out of the water in the winter months , try it , you'll see what i mean. Then go back and find one that is in the water in the same area , put it on and BANG. I'm not a scientist i go from what i've observed and learned from years of watching water and fish. The next time you are around when they stock trout , take a bucket and put it in an eddy that is loaded with stickbugs and watch them , even stockies don't eat them in that stage.

Osprey,
Most times I see them in the eddies its shallow, and maybe the trout are to spooked to feed then but at night i would say they feed on them as i have found them crushed inside of their stomachs. Preatty hard to swallow when thay are that size, but remember they grow from an egg and have to enlarge the case as they grow, one reason i tie them in a few sizes down to 16. It is one of the largest caddis out there (october caddis)

The locals call the caddis that comes off in the fall a Sedge , i don't know if that is just a local thing or if it's a more universal name for them but that's what they call them in the Bedford area. I always thought they were the early caddis that hatches on those streams (grannom?) that was the stickbug but the October hatch happens there too so i think you're right about that Sandy. Man that last pic looks like the real thing. That's as close to an exact imitation i've ever seen , forget the "Strawman" drews and learn how to tie Sandflys version. Another example of what i was trying to say about the "stickbugs" is scud , there are tons of them in the watercress and i'm sure trout root for them and eat them but right before they die and possibly right before they mate and reproduce , they undergo a color change , from drab green/grey to a kind of yellow/brown/tan color when this happens it's like the dinner bell going off for the trout , i can't explain the science i just know that it happens.

osprey I like the looks of that version too... I was reading through all the posts and not nearly as experienced as the majority of the posters here, but makes sense to me that we may not see the fish in the pools/slack water during daylight...seems a little exposed. I dont know if it even matters to me, looks like a fun thing to try to imitate...

Thanks for all the responses as usual you guys have helped a lot...tight lines

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?oq=cased&id=3528604&pageid=r&_charset_=utf-8&bcd=%C3%B7&scs=1&query=cased+caddis&mode=ALL&search=all

Even more Cased Caddis.

Back