Looking For Help With Fly Identification

semperfish wrote:
Pardon me for jumping in here. I'm a complete newb to FF and I am feeling like a sponge; trying to absorb all I can from experienced guys like Maurice. I really appreciate this site and can't wait to spend "too much time" on my local creek this year.

That being said (and this is certainly a small point that probably doesn't matter) I noticed that you are mounting your flies
hook-point-in towards the slits in your boxes. That's how I was doing it and noticed that it had a tendancy to tear the foam when I removed them. I have since rotated them all 180 degrees and now I push the bend of the hook into the slot.
Again, with all the humility I can muster as a newbie, just my $0.002 (that's 1/10th of 2 cents).

That's a good point. Im not having trouble with tearing yet but I haven't used it much yet either. Putting them in bend first would cut down on the wear and tear. I'd like to hear how some of the others do it.

See above. I know this. I'm a hack, but not a newbee. :cool:

L_soult wrote:
semperfish wrote:
Pardon me for jumping in here. I'm a complete newb to FF and I am feeling like a sponge; trying to absorb all I can from experienced guys like Maurice. I really appreciate this site and can't wait to spend "too much time" on my local creek this year.

That being said (and this is certainly a small point that probably doesn't matter) I noticed that you are mounting your flies
hook-point-in towards the slits in your boxes. That's how I was doing it and noticed that it had a tendancy to tear the foam when I removed them. I have since rotated them all 180 degrees and now I push the bend of the hook into the slot.
Again, with all the humility I can muster as a newbie, just my $0.002 (that's 1/10th of 2 cents).

That's a good point. Im not having trouble with tearing yet but I haven't used it much yet either. Putting them in bend first would cut down on the wear and tear. I'd like to hear how some of the others do it.

In the solid foam fly boxes, the fly hooks are inserted point first. The foam holds the fly in place. In the slit foam fly boxes (like the one you show in your pic) the hook bend is inserted first and the fly is held in the slit.

I like the slit foam because I bend down the barbs to make my flies barbless. The flies do not hold well in a solid foam fly box without a barb. HTH.

Sorry Jack. I must have been typing while you were posting. Thanks :)

semperfish wrote:

I just flipped over all my flies. Nice and snug. Thanks!

Back