Looking for a nice reel

You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't consider the Orvis Large Arbor. I've put mine thru hell without a hiccup. Best warranty in the biz. Sealed drag or not, don't let some internet buzzword turn you off from a great product. Its lightweight, dependable and the drag is VERY good. I use them on every rod i own.

I wouldn't consider "sealed drag" to be a buzzword.

Great article afish. That's a lot to digest. Quote that stuck w/ me was...

Synthetic-drag reels most often employ carbon, Delrin, or Rulon plastics (or some combination of these materials) as brake surfaces, backed up by a spring system to maintain tension. Rulon and Delrin are both extremely dense composite plastics, based on fluorocarbon and nylon, respectively. "They last more or less forever," says Orvis's Lepage, "and you don't need to maintain them since they are self-lubricating."

Easy to care for and long lasting. I still have a Hardy Marquis from the early 80's. It's been beat up badly but the click drag is still kicking. I have it displayed on a bookshelf next to a fish carving. Maybe some day I'll take the old gal for a walk again.

I've got an Abel Big Game, and I've got a Pflueger Medalist, and both were bought to use on the 5wt.

They both do the same thing, and do it equally well. Between the two, I prefer the peefloogur 'coz it cost $25 and a spare spool is $10, versus $250 for a spare Abel spool.

I knock it against stuff, I dunk it in water, and I generally don't care.

(full disclosure, the Abel didn't get much use before it got sent back for cosmetic reasons, but I was awful touchy about abusing it, far more than I thought I would when I bought it)

(even fuller disclosure, i'm still waiting to get it back)

(the utmost fullest disclosure, i want it back, damnit, because i bought it for the ocean, and yet i still intend to put the peaflowerger into the salt, it worked for wulff, kreh, and ted williams)

Sight_Nymph,

Ill take a look at all the reels you mentioned, I wrote them all down. Thanks for the other words of advise.

Heritage-Angler,

Do you think my Lamson Velocity (it's from the year 2005-2006, can't remember) will have the same problem as yours? (not being corrosion proof). That video is really long, I'm still watching it... You'd still vouch for the Konic though? Hows about the Guru?

Afishinado,

That was a really good article, it explained a lot of things and cleared up some stuff for me. Thanks.

To every one else,

There is a lot to consider with so many choices, it's so hard to just pick one! Ill probably check out the reels at the Evening Rise, I'm sure they will have some different reels than Cabelas.

Though having some experience with Lamson and watching that video makes me lean towards them. I'm really going to be open minded about this decision so I'm still considering all the other mentioned reels.

Jay has spot burned 'sealed drags' forever. Thanks.

bassist,

Much of the advice that's been given I agree with. I have no experience with the issues HA expressed as I didn't own any lamsons back then. I can tell you now that I've owned (and still own) reels from Redington, Galvan, Lamson, Ross, Pflueger, Teton, Okuma and a few other less well known manufacturers. I currently own 2 of the velocity HA in 3.5 and 4 and the guru in 2. I have nothing but good things to say about these reels.

You can get really technical with the features and functions of the various manufacturers but things to consider. Does it work? Will you have to perform maintenance? Will it stand up to some abuse? Is it backed by a warranty?

Most of higher end reels you can say yes to so the other factor comes down to cost. They're all nice but which is the best bang for your buck? Also remember we're talking about a 5wt rod (correct?) I've had to use drag on trout but it's not the same as needing drag for salmon, steelhead or other larger, more powerful fish.

Lastly I'll restate to make sure it balances your rod well. I'm noticing more and more that these super light highly machined reels don't balance my rods even when loaded with line. I've recently been putting the next reel size up on my rods and have found that the balance is much better as is my overall casting experience. YMMV but something to really consider.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

bassistjon112 wrote:

Heritage-Angler,

Do you think my Lamson Velocity (it's from the year 2005-2006, can't remember) will have the same problem as yours? (not being corrosion proof). That video is really long, I'm still watching it... You'd still vouch for the Konic though? Hows about the Guru?

My first one was older. Lamson switched to the stainless clutches to solve the problem, and it has.

I'd buy a Konic in a New York minute. IMHO - the best reel for the money, period. The Guru has an anodized finish, but it's clear, so you won't notice scratches in the finish as much. It's just too shiny for my tastes. I prefer a more stealthy finish.

If you don't change spools often - which wears on the o-ring that seals the drag - my guess is you'll never mess it up. Lamson recommends putting a tiny bit of grease on the o-ring if you swap spools often. I like the fact that you don't have to back off the drag setting for storage, so as not to develop a set as in most other disc drag reels. Set it, and forget it.

My biggest Litespeed is the reel I use for steelhead fishing. No worries about it freezing up, since the drag is sealed so well. It handles the hard runs of those big fish with ease. Ross uses an external "dog" to engage the drag (4 of 'em on the Evos), and I could easily see that system freezing up in the cold. YMMV

IMO Orvis Battenkill

Joe E

jon,

Let us know what you end up getting. I'll be curious to see which reel catches the fisherman.

FWIW, I think its important to buy something that you think is appealing to you, as well. Be it brand, or visuals, or both. If you're of the belief you've bought an inferior product, you'll never be completely satisfied. To this, I offer up my own personal feelings on a Cabela's branded reel (well, actually, any of their branded stuff I own). I know its as good as anyone elses, its certainly cheaper and it (was) backed up by a warranty that (was) among the best, but y'know, I don't like it. There's something about it that sort of strikes at my vanity. Case in point, as I prepare for a trip to the shore tomorrow, I looked at my three rods (all Cabela's branded), and two of the three reels, and realized that I felt a little silly. Is it any less capable? No! Not in the slightest, but I don't like it anyways.

And something about using an item with the word "Bass Pro Shop" on it burns me at my core, that's not even a store name, its a description. I can't do it. Yes, its pure and complete vanity, but it affects me none the less.

Although, the point of my earlier post is that you don't need to be suckered in by high cost for exotic features, pure simplicity and ruggedness is every bit as important, as well as the fact that you know its a tool and won't cringe every time you sit it down on a rock that it might get marred.

The website price and store price are very different. I got the Watershed for $99 and it was $199 in store. Website was running a special. I'm really pleased with the reel. If I were going to spend 150 for a Watershed or a Rhythm, I'd get the Rhythm just for the warranty.

Cabelas warranty is just as good if not better than Ross. Just walk in the store with a complaint and they give you a new one or you money back for lifetime.

You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't consider the Orvis Large Arbor. I've put mine thru hell without a hiccup. Best warranty in the biz. Sealed drag or not, don't let some internet buzzword turn you off from a great product. Its lightweight, dependable and the drag is VERY good. I use them on every rod i own.

Have to disagree on some points with ya on that one. I have 4 BLA's (I,II & III) and a couple of spare spools. I have one spool out of service because it is damaged interior somehow. I can't figure it out. I have to take the spool out and clean the reel occasionally as dirt, sand, etc gets between the frame and the spool causing grinding, gritty sound which I know is not good for it. I would not say this reel handles abuse well as I am pretty darn good to my reels and have these issues. Having said that, the drag works well (if there is no debris in it), it has good tolerances, is very lightweight for the price, looks great and as you mention has an excellent warranty. I just wish I did not have to use the warranty.

Honestly - take a good look into Allen reels. Like Jay, Im not a big "reel" person and think paying hundreds of dollars for one is a bit ridiculous. I have a season on the alpha reel and LOVE IT! I have it strung up with allen line and it performs just as well as my lamson lightspeed with 70 dollar line : /

Why not the Lamson Konic? Same drag just a bit on the heavy side but all depends on the rod and rod length. I have one and the drag is the same as my lightspeed.
Even the Sage 1600's and 1800's series are very nice.

+1 on the Lamsons- I have 2 Velocities, and love them. I would also consider buying a Teton Tioga, if you can find one on eBay. The original company went belly up a couple of years ago. They have started back up, and you can find their new Teton reel (similar design as the old) at Cabela's. Not sure if they are as good as their older reels. http://www.tetonusa.com/

For what its worth, I own a Battenkill BBS II, great reel. Looks nice, functions great, and not too expensive. Is it the best reel on the market no, but it works great and looks good too!

I have a Wright Mcgill plunge 5/6wt. It's a great reel for the $. All aluminium construction.
8105591b6ddb598051f0e51d2521de7f.image.187x200.jpg

So I checked out every reel they had and it came down to two reels. The Lamson Konic or the Velocity, I chose the Konic due to its way smaller price tag and some you would say "its just a trout reel" so that's what I told myself. It feels like it's a solid reel and I can't wait to try it. Not the coolest looking thing though... Oh most other reels were way to light in weight.

Back