Looking for a loooong nymphng rod...

TUNA

TUNA

Just curious what you guys would recommend for a good high stick nymphing rod. I've been looking at the 10' and 11' Loop Opti's, 10' and 10.5' Echo's, and the 10' Hardy rods. Just wondering if anyone has any of these and could share any input.
Also any Winston guys get the 10' 4wt yet, and what do ya think?

I've read, in a few places, that the 11' Loops rods are prone to breaking, especially the 3 weight. I want something that is long, light, and strong. Not too concerned wwith price.

Thanks in Advance guys

Dan Craft Enterprises makes a 10ft 4pc in both 3 and 4 weight in their FT series of blanks. I know this can be argued many ways but they are the best true nymphing blanks available.

do you want only factory rods for consideration?
if so, Sage 99s come to mind and Loomis Czech nymph rod are probably exactly what you are looking for.

Orvis makes a 10ft 4wt. I own quite a few Helios rods and cant say enough good things about them. I've had a die hard sage guy tell me he liked the 10ft 4wt helios he lurks these boards maybe he'll chime in! A very well know fly fisherman out of the poconos fishes one alot and loves his.

Awesome big water dry fly rod as well!

On the cheap side of the house, Cabelas sells the CZN line of rods, too.

I'll get a review up for you in a couple of days on the Greys Streamflex 10' 4wt and the Winston BIIx 10' 4wt. I have had the Greys Streamflex for about 8 months and really enjoy it. The Winston was built for me and delivered to North Carolina where I am currently vacationing. I was afraid of some reviews I heard on the Winston 10' but found it was an absolute pleasure for the miles and miles of technical pocket water. But right now I am dead tired and have to get to bed. Been fishing like a maniac all week!

Alpabuck wrote:
I've had a die hard sage guy tell me he liked the 10ft 4wt helios he lurks these boards maybe he'll chime in!

That'd be me. That Helios 10' 4wt is a VERY sweet rod! Soft tip, lots of power in the lower sections, and SUPER lightweight. I like my Sage 99 4wt, but I'd rather have that Helios (said while ducking and running from the lightning strike). :-o

Heritage-Angler wrote:
That'd be me. That Helios 10' 4wt is a VERY sweet rod! Soft tip, lots of power in the lower sections, and SUPER lightweight. I like my Sage 99 4wt, but I'd rather have that Helios (said while ducking and running from the lightning strike). :-o

What's that weird spinning noise I hear?

beanl2.jpg

Sorry Uncle Leon, but I gots ta tell it like it is.....

I haven't actually fished it yet but I just picked up an Echo 2 5wt with a 9'6" tip and a 10' tip. The 10' tip is softer and I suspect will be an awesome big water nymphing rod while the 9'6" tip is more of an all around usage tip. I'll be testing it thoroughly starting the end of next week on big alaskan bows :)

I also liked the Echo shadow rods but I was looking for a little heavier rod than a 3 or 4 wt. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not dead set on a factory rod either, just would like a good rod that I don't have to worry about while fishing. I actually get out over 200 times a year, I live 10 mins from the Little J, so it definetly has to be durable. A great warranty is a must. So far I really like the Orvis Helios, and the Loomis, but just can't decide.

Also, does anybody even know where I could find a Loop, and actually see it person before buying? I also saw that Cortland has a Brook series rod in a 10' 4 wt, is this a good option as well?

I nymph almost all the time, and usually have a good amount of weight on as well. I usually fish pocket water and faster water sections, just to give a scenario. Thanks again for all of the great info guys.

Those Tenkara rods are super long, seems like a nymp fishermans dream. Im planning on getting one, maybe Santa will deliver this year.

the problem with Tenkara is if you ever get a fish on with size there is no line to give out. It's main uses are for smaller streams, which is kind of the opposite of what we fly fisherman think of as it is a very long rod.

I'm a TFO fan. I love their rods, and will probably get a new 4 wt off of them in the next year or so. Here's a 10' 5wt from them.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/professional.html

Alpabuck, isn't Orvis putting out a 10' 6wt in the Helios?

TUNA, if you can get out during the week next week we can get together and I can let you try the Greys Streamflex and the Winston on the stream. Just PM me.

surveyor06 wrote:
Those Tenkara rods are super long, seems like a nymp fishermans dream. Im planning on getting one, maybe Santa will deliver this year.

When it fails at that role for you, remember I'll buy it off you...

From my reading, tenkara isn't about casting weighted nymphs, but unweighted wets and dries. I believe someone referred to the line as functionally equivilent to a 000wt.

Of course, I don't have one and am speaking out my posterier... So, if you could buy one, become dissatisfied and sell it to me, that'd be awesome.

The question asked was in regards to a long nymphing rod, more specifically, high sticking was mentioned. Im thinking smaller nymphs are going to be employed for this kind of fishing. Certainly, I wouldnt be fishing streamers or large nymphs, but if your looking for a long rod for high sticking, tenkara seems to be a good fit. Not saying its going to work for every situation, but neither is a 10' 4wt. As far as landing fish, I typically fish moderatly sized streams, like Valley and the Little Lehigh, and sometimes the tully. Of all the fish I catch, there, I usually have 3-5 feet of fly line out, and Im not having fish take my line out. I usually use 5x for 6x and rarely get broke off. I think not having a reel would not put me in a huge disadvantage. Plus the simplicity of it seems nice. Just a different style, I dont think it should be over looked

As of right now I primarily use 8.5 ft 3wt, 8.5 ft 4wt, and a 9ft 5wt. I'm not hating on Tenkara, but I can tie some string and tippet to a stick and do the same thing, it's just not for me (sorry if I offended anyone). I'll try it sometime in the future, just not right now. In my opinion a 10' 4wt would be a do all for how and where I fish, although a 3wt is not out of the question. A lot of the situations I encounter are either fast riffled sections or somewhat deep runs. In the end I hope to find a faster action rod with some backbone to throw weight and to throw it through the wind, but be sensitive enough to detect light pickups and strikes.

Thanks again guys.

No offense taken here, just wanted to give you another option thats all. I think the whole thing looks pretty cool, its suits my style of fishing very well. Best of luck with finding a rod.

Thanks surveyor, I like the whole Tenkara idea, but like I said, its just not for me. If you get one let me know how it works out for ya.

Back