Looking for 8' (+/-) 5 or 6wt

D

DavidFin

Looking for a short, heavy rod for mousing/streamers on smaller streams.

Have cash or potential trades if the right rod comes up.

I too kind of like the idea of a rod with those type of specs, but have never bought one. Truth is there's not a ton of current rods out there made in that range. So you may not get a lot of hits from folks who have one looking to sell it.

To get shorter than 8'6 it seems like you usually gotta drop down to a 4 weight, and there's pretty much no one making a 6 weight shorter than 9'...unless you start looking at fiberglass, which probably isn't ideal for mousing or streamers.

A couple that I do know of that have models in that range are LLBean's Streamlight (8' 5wt) and Orvis's Clearwater (7'6 5wt). I have a Streamlight in a smaller configuration as a Brookie rod and like it, classic middle of the road med-fast...they're currently on sale ($80-100ish depending on model) as if Bean may be replacing them in their lineup with a newer model. Have buddies who have Clearwaters ($200ish) and they vouch for them too. Redington's entry level Crosswater line ($70ish) also has an 8' 5wt. Not sure on your budget, but just FWIW. May end up having to buy new.

Look on the bizarre, err, bazaar sites like EBay, etc. for either an older (80's vintage) Lamiglas G1000 in an 8' 6 wgt. or even the old Orvis Mary Marbury Premium in the same length and weight. The former was a durable workhorse rod and a good tool and shouldn't be expensive if you find one. Probably under $100 unless I have grossly mis-assessed demand/value. The latter is becoming more of a collector's rod and might run you up to $250 if you can find one. But it is a very nice rod

I'd think either would work well for what you have in mind. Both are slower, 2nd generation or so graphite...

Saw a vision 8ft 5wt on sale at Dette Shop .
Hope this helps. https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.detteflies.com%2Fcatalog%2F2&h=ATPQLhjGg9hLVqT89_GvtwEsCvD_b8ywHmdIcRToavt0ZdMHtKLbQeDGBDfIv007oOvRj9R3kFbfzYooBqz9aixkYreL_nWPr-d_icWy2CSDTYpn2TBthyYKwD9rE9hFnON1UJqb-M_KRdhv&s=1

Thanks for the input guys! I'm in no rush so I can take my time considering this stuff. I basically want something that will load quickly under these circumstances. I've been thinking about glass, though, just for the fun factor. It's a real oddball size so it wouldn't be something I'd use that often.

Funny thing though is that I've been using a 486 for mousing on a smaller river at night, and its limitations actually keep me from overcasting and limits snags in the dark. It really only gets bogged down once the fly sponges up water.

I had a vintage st croix imperial 7' 4/5 wt that was really super stiff and I think would do the job your looking for. Hope that helps.

I have an 3pc 8' 5 wt glass rod that needs a new home for $95.
Its only been used by me about 5-6 times (i bought it new from the builder)
Orange blank with red wraps. i believe the blank is from the Anglers Roost line of rods/blanks.

I would recommend an 8' 6/7 wt. fiberglass Fenwick. There are lots of models to pick from over the years, most are fairly cheap. The guys who buy these rods to fish are always looking for the 7 1/2' 5/6 wt rods, so these area a little bit cheaper on the ...bay.

Jesse

Look at post before mine, he has a nice deal too.

Finally a thread where someone isn't looking for a long light line rod LOL. I have (7) 6 weights ranging from 6'10 inches to 9'6 inches in both glass and graphite. And have sold 3 or 4 more.

Here is I'd consider if I were in your shoes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272745330260

I have an 8'3 steffen glass 5/6 weight that is pretty much a prefect rod for what you're looking for. The best part about that rod is it will throw a 7wt line as well which allows you to throw some bigger patterns. I will not sell this rod, but you might be able to find one.

I fish both glass and graphite and have for a long time. I think they both have their place. I use graphite 80 percent of the time. With that being said an 8' 6wt will be a lot easier to find in glass. Most likely it will also handle 7 weight line which opens the door for larger flies. I have an 8'4 6wt graphite rod and an 8'6 6wt graphite rod, for streamers the glass beats them both because it will handle a heavier line better.

I have a two-piece 8 Ft 6 wt Orvis Rocky Mountain series rod (bought mid 1990s). I've fished it with a 5 and 6 wt line. Very good condition.
I have an Orvis battenkill mid arbor reel (III) with spare spools (multiple) that could be sold with it.
If you are in the state college area you can take a look.

Thanks man, but I'm shifting gears, as is my tradition. I still want to get a rod like this, been thinking about it for a few years when I was fishing a medium/small tail water in Jersey with browns in it, but I'm moving on to a different direction that will involve spending all my cash on room and board, hah.

That said, anyone want to buy a Winston TMF or a silver label Whiting Cree saddle? Or need any yard work done?

I have a st crouch avid 5 wy 8 1/2. If interested Pm me

I have an 8' 4/5wt Cortland Brown Topaz rod in mint shape with cloth bag and metal rod tube if interested. This rod can throw streamers very well with a 5wt line.

Back