Long Overdue? Catch and Release for some sections of the Juniata and Susquehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Dave Weaver (“Fishidiot”)
October 6, 2010

For many of us in the Pennsylvania smallmouth bass fly fishing community, the decline of the bass fishery in the lower Susquehanna River, and to a lesser degree, the lower Juniata River, has been a source of sadness, concern, and hoped for recovery. While the cause of this decline has been intensely studied by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) and other agencies - and these studies
dwsmallie.jpg
continue, no clear cause can yet be identified. The current studies suggest low dissolved oxygen and low, warm water may be at least partially the culprit in the failure of young bass to survive. Many frustrated anglers continue to debate different theories and possible causes among themselves (quite evident on the forums here on PaFlyFish). Another topic for debate revolves around what measures to implement to limit the decline and perhaps expedite the recovery of bass in these sections of river. Among the most common suggestions has long been implementation of catch and release regulations.

This week the PFBC led by their new Executive Director, John Arway, has announced this new catch and release policy will be put into effect at the beginning of 2011. At that point, all smallmouth bass in the Juniata River downstream of Port Royal, and in the Susquehanna downriver from Sunbury, will have to be released. Undoubtedly, this will be welcome news to many in the angling community. These sections of river have been managed under Big Bass regulations for a decade or so. Although these regulations have been embraced by many, in my opinion they may do greater damage by requiring anglers to release smaller bass and kill bigger fish. In particular, the 18” minimum size limit on smallmouths in effect during the colder months of the year is particularly worrisome to me. It’s not uncommon, especially during the pre-spawn, to see a boat at a ramp with a pair of 18” bass on a stringer.

More after the break

Chaz
C & R regs aren't going to improve the fishing. The only thing that's going to make a difference is catching the polluters that are causing all the problems in the watershed. There is a reason that the Susquehanna River was listed as the most endangered river in the US a couple of years ago. It's a very polluted river in spite of the water clarity.
As for PFBC and DEP, I think they know where it's all coming from, they are just refusing to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Chaz
C & R regs aren't going to improve the fishing. The only thing that's going to make a difference is catching the polluters that are causing all the problems in the watershed. There is a reason that the Susquehanna River was listed as the most endangered river in the US a couple of years ago. It's a very polluted river in spite of the water clarity.
As for PFBC and DEP, I think they know where it's all coming from, they are just refusing to do anything about it.

Last edited:
PaulG
Another very poor year for me!

PaulG

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
I would have fished more but just TOO much water. Everytime the streams would get down to good fishing levels it would rain AGAIN and blow them out. Bad year!

Last edited:
bigjohn58
This was a very poor year for me. High waters in the spring then they dropped right down to nothing. When I did go however I caught more then usual.

Last edited:
S
Probably the same story across the board.
The high water did force me onto the limestoners and my Letort success made big strides. Still not lots of fish, but that stream is what it is and thats what makes it so alluring.
Heres to hoping this years just a little more consistent weather wise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back