Long hikes to the fishing spot

E

edhank

How do ya'll deal with long hikes with drastic elevation changes to start fishing?

There is a stream that I want to fish but to get to the lower reaches, it is at least a two mile hike. With that hike, there is almost a thousand feet of elevation change. The one time I did this, I lashed the boots and waders to my backpack, and wore good hiking shoes to and from the water. My wading boots were smacking me in the hiney both ways and was annoying. I wear Simms Guide boots and they are a bit heavy to lug around and not fun for the long hike in.

I was thinking a good pair of barn boots would be all that I need. I'd have to watch how deep I wade, but on this small stream, I don't think that would be much of a problem. They wouldn't be terribly heavy ( at least I think) for the hike in. But then, I don't think they would provide much ankle support.

Because of where this stream is located, and my concern for my personal safety, I carry a few things with me in the event I have to spend the night which means more weight on my back.

Maybe the new Orvis ultralight wading boots would be good for this? Hiking boots in and out, Orvis wading boots and Chota hippers to fish in?

Opinions and thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

For a hike of this distance I tend to stick with your plan of taking wading boots in a pack and keeping my regular hiking boots dry for the hike out.

It all depends. I'll often wear my hip boots for shorter hikes, say in the range of half a mile on a relatively easy trail. Always bring some toilet paper too (handy for marking trail intersections as many remote trails are not widely used and pretty subtle and hard to see, especially if it gets dark on you).

I've backpacked my waders and boots in before that way I can wear my regular hiking boots in and out. If it is going to be warm out and wet wading weather I would just wear my Simms vapor treads with my neoprene socks.

When you've got miles to hike not wearing your waders is a big deal in the end. I try to wet wade as much as possible throughout the year and you'll find your waders will last a little longer as well.

Combining a great hike with some fishing is always fun

Two vote for backpacking the waders in. Thats good enough for me. I think I'm going to check out the Orvis Ultralight wading boot. Orvis says they are 40 oz and I think The Simms guide boots are almost 60 oz. Over a pound difference.

Dave_W: You know, you mentioning TP was a good reminder that I need to get some loaded in my vest and bags. Had to resort to leaves or articles of clothing a couple of times this year. Not pleasant. Avenza maps is my best friend when it comes to navigation.

I make these kinds of hikes to go fishing all the time. I usually always wet wade though. I have a pair of Simms vapor boots which are made for hiking which I combine with a pair of thick neoprene socks.

Colder months I’ll stuff everything into a backpack and it works just fine. I fix my rod tube to my back pack and I’m able to be hands free.

I've done a lot of this type of fishing, often doing a total of 6 miles of walking, including the miles walked while fishing.

I never use two pairs of footwear, just my wading shoes.

When the weather is moderate to warm, I don't use waders, I wet wade. The great majority of the mountain stream trips I do in a year, I wet wade.

When is too cold for wet wading, I wear either hippers or lightweight waders, depending on the depth of the water.

Walking long distances with hippers on is not really a problem.

Walking long distances with chest high waders on is not so fun, but it's tolerable. If the weather is so warm that I'd get hot waling in chest high waders, then it's warm enough to wet wade.

I have never owned a pair of "guide pant" waders, but I think I'm going to buy a pair. They seem like a good solution.

I've been wearing hip waders (boot foot)for all small stream/hike in fishing.
However, gotta admit that they don't offer very good support.
So, I just bought a pair of stocking foot hippers, that I'll be wearing with wading boots next year

Depending on the temperature I either wet wade or just wear my waders and boots as normal on the hike. For small stream fishing I generally just buy lighter synthetic hiking boots with a grippy rubber sole as opposed to traditional wading boots. This kind of fishing involves way more hiking on dry land than wading, and the gain in comfort over wading boots, even “hiking” oriented ones is significant and worth any small decrease in in stream traction IMO. (I keep a separate pair of traditional wading boots for fishing larger streams.) As tb mentioned, 6 or 7 miles or more in a day can easily be hiked/fished on these kinds of small stream/hiking expeditions.

I have a relatively big fishing pack, one of the biggest on the market actually (LLBean Kennebec), but even it wouldn’t hold my waders and boots. Which means you’d need to carry an even bigger pack to carry in. Practically, you’re probably talking a pack on the small end of the overnight backpacking spectrum, maybe 30 or 35L minimum to be able to do this. Then you’re stuck with that even bigger pack for the rest of the day. Or you’re ditching it in the woods somewhere for your walk back. Neither ideal. Easier to carry them in and out by wearing them IMO.

FWIW on the waist highs, I’ve owned them and liked certain pairs of them, but I don’t find them to be appreciably cooler than chest highs. I think this is because with waist highs you have to cinch them pretty tight around your waist to keep them in place. You don’t have over the shoulder straps to hold them up for you. When cinched around the waist, there’s essentially no airflow to your legs. “Breathable” is a term used pretty loosely when it comes to waders. If you have a vest or pack on your upper body, that’s trapping heat against you too anyway. Bottom line, if it’s hot out, and you’re in waders hiking around the woods, you’re gonna be hot. Most efficient solution to keep cool is quick dry pants and wet wading, but there’s drawbacks and compromises with that too. No ideal solution, but some thoughts on what works best for different people anyway.

Edit: Pack lots of water, if doing this kind of thing in the Summer. 2L minimum. Or carry some type of hiker filter or purification system. One 16.9 oz bottle in the side pocket of your pack ain’t gonna cut it.

I have been using convertible waders for quite a few years now. They are really the best of both worlds since they stay folded down as waist-high waders but still use a suspender to keep them in place. They are great for fishing in the warmer weather and they can be pulled up to chest high in cold weather or any time they are needed for deeper wading.

For longer hikes I have a pair of bootfoot hippers sold by Cabela's as hunting boots. They feature a quality hunting boots with hipper attached that folds down for hiking and converts to hip boot in seconds when you reach the stream. Unfortunately they are no longer available from Cabelas.

I have a 7 piece rod with short tube that tucks in my pack for the hike in.

I usually try the easiest method- for me that’s just wearing my wading boots with neoprene socks , long sleeve shirt, hat, rigged up rod and hip pack- with food water, couple tippets and a fly box, nipper and maybe a lighter rain coat. Mostly I just wear synthetic shorts for drying.

Most of my longer hikes don’t include breaking through too much brush. I can break brush with the best of them
But I try to find away around that and the older I get the less brush I breaking but still more than most.

My longest hikes have been out west where weather and altitude are bigger concerns than brush.

I do marvel at those “skinny” guys who can wade with sandals. I would hurt my feet.

Furthest I ever hiked was to the Upper Truckee at 4 miles each way for Lahontan Cutthroat.

That water thing is key. I’ve got a couple water bladders that I can stuff in packs, plus a couple water filtration devices. I still chew snuff so I have to replenish more so than most.

I did wade wet a cpl times this past summer. Lightweight hiking pants and shoes that drain really well are the ticket. I’m generally not a fan of wet wading cause of all the crap in the water, but for mountain streams I am less concerned.

I think my mindis pretty well made on getting the orvis ultralight wading boots, either to wear in or sling to the outside of the pack for the walks in and out.

I took an old pair of chest waders and cut/sewed them into hippers so I don't care if they get ruined. Therefore, I just wear them on hikes/mountain fishing trips.

If it is a small stream (hop across width) I will just wear hikers.

I too have bought a replacement water bladder and put it in there if I have a backpack. However, usually, out of laziness, I just pre-hydrate and have a bottle of water in the truck for when I get back. I would benefit more from snacks.

I recently bought the Umpqua Surveyor Backpack for this exact reason - https://www.mrfc.com/umpqua-surveyor-2000-zs-backpack-copper.html

I love it. I wanted more space to hold not just fishing gear, but also food, water, first aid, etc. I do a lot of "remote" fishing (last summer I bushwhacked two miles to get to the Rapid River in Maine solo with just a sling pack... whole day of fishing combined with the hike in/out I definitely I was short on supplies) so having a backpack instead of a sling pack has been a pretty solid upgrade.

I don't know if this helps, but -- Two years ago I found out that an old DEP trail had been reopened, so I drove 100 miles to get there. The trail is about 3 miles, mostly downhill, to get to a little brook trout stream that I fished more than 30 years ago. It was a 50-minute walk down in lightweight hippers. The trail was not always easy to find, as "buck brush" and laurel obscured it in many places. Along the trail, I left three bottles of water to pick up and drink on the way back. I carried another with me in my vest as I fished, and I drank it all as I fished.

The fishing was not quite as I remembered it. I remembered catching a lot of 6- to 8-inch natives, with an occasional 9-incher mixed in. That day, I landed fish in the 4-6-inch range, with several 7-inch brookies being the top fish of the day. I fished for a little more than two hours, then decided I'd better hike out. It took me almost a half hour just to get back to where the trail meets the creek.

The uphill hike back out took about 75 minutes, and I was really glad each time I reached a water bottle, even though the water was pretty tepid that warm, sunny day. Fortunately, I also had brought along 3 cans of beer, along with a couple sandwiches, and had stashed them on ice in a little cooler in my truck. I finished all of these on a back dirt road before I hit a hard road to come home. I guess a six-pack might've been more appropriate.

Although it was a pretty nice adventure to re-live "old times," I probably will not be making it again. I am now 69 and have to deal with the aches and pains of a bad knee and other body parts.

I guess there's no advice here, unless you'd like to see me write that you young guys ought to make these types of adventures while you're still young. The "golden years" aren't so golden in a lot of ways.

^
I’ve had two surgeries from fly fishing- right ankle from weight bearing and slipping off rocks for 15 years, right quadriceps tendon- totally ridiculous rehabilitation time. Just lucky it blew out at a buddies house and not a mile back from the car.

Anyways, do things now. I starting to think about a boat (you can bring a cooler- no need for a Yeti though)

Go now with or without a pack!

If it is a long hike then it is probably a small stream. Why overthink this? Hiking pants and wet wading shoes. Done. I would not even carry more that a few flies and one spool of tippet. The water bottle should be your heaviest item. If you don't like carrying that then get a camelback bladder.

When I first started fly fishing I had very little gear and a small pack and I was fine. Over the years I accumulated more and more crap and a larger pack as felt I needed to carry it all with me. Not so. As the years went by I have learned to simplify things and carry less and less now.

Anyways, do things now. I starting to think about a boat (you can bring a cooler- no need for a Yeti though)

Yep. You need to buy a boat. Although I bought my 1st drift boat this year and ended up taking a fall out of it while I was working on it in my driveway and sprained my knee and tore my meniscus.

I don't understand how many of you can wet wade for trout and stay warm enough. Even in July and August I can only tolerate low to mid 60 degree water for a few minutes before I'm ready to bask in the sun on a rock.
More on topic... I wear my waders on the long hike. Sometimes it's miserably hot. It's better than carrying a 2nd pair of boots around all day, IMO. I always feel like I am already carrying way more than I really need to begin with.

Flyfishing equipment is very lightweight stuff, relative to a lot of backcountry gear that has to get humped to site. So just go and get a 6500 cubic inch internal frame pack as cheaply as you can, load it up with what you need, and hump it in. You'll never know it's there except for getting it under branches blocking your way. They're designed to make humping 75lbs feel like 25, so the 25 (tops) you'll ever need to bring to fish will feel like nothing at all.

I find access at the bottom and park 2 cars, one at the top and one at the bottom. If I can’t do that then it’s carry in the waders to the starting point change shoes and fish up. When I’m doing a hike in trip I always ask someone to go along especially in cold weather. Now that I’m 69 I nearly always have someone along. Always make sure someone knows where you are.

Back