LL Bean in KOP Mall

Steelhead fishing is not at all tough on waders. Wide open, pretty flat, not much in the way of climbing and such. It's the non-stop stepping up and down from waste high boulders that puts the hurting on waders for me. When scrambling, you're always stretching the inner legs.

Still, that's an impressive time frame. Also an impressive price for Simms Guide waders, how'd you find them for that?

I've considered Freestones, which are only slightly stretching my price range. Guides I always see at $450.

Steelhead fishing is always easiest on waders, but always highlights the slightest leak. Brrrrrr!

The Bean Kennebec's dropped to $150 online...the drop in price was enough to get me to buy them unseen.

Kennebec's came last night. Initital impression is that the legging material (which is 2x as thick, at least, than the waist up material) will be pretty durable, but also pretty hot. My last pair was similar, so I'm used to that to some degree though and I'm willing to trade some additional heat retention for durability given the kind of fishing I do most. There's definitely less seams on these than any other wader pair I've owned…can't be a bad thing. I like the belt system, but that's a personal preference deal probably. A couple nice bells and whistles for the price…lined handwarmer pocket and two fairly waterproof looking zipper pockets…waterproof enough it would seem to keep a camera or phone dry enough on a quick submersion.

Probably won't get put through their paces until a Tioga/Potter trip next month. At $150, the barometer is set at 1.5 years for these…we'll see how they do. Given when I bought them, that will mean they need to get through two winters. My last pair only had to get through one. A minor leak is refreshing in July…it's unbearable in January.

Back