Little Lehigh Creek

F

Fly5

I took a walk this morning along the Little Lehigh, not fishing. I had a commitment around noon, just thought I would check it out. It was around 11am, I saw about a half dozen fish rising. I didn't see any tricos at all, but was wondering what the fish were rising to. I saw no bug activity at all. Any thoughts?

What section of the creek were you on? I was there and saw trico spinners but not a lot. Not a big cloud. I didn't really see fish rising. I was walking around between the fly shop down to the cover d bridge. But there could have been some spinners on the water. I left around 10:30. I didn't see any rising fish.

I was upstream of Fish Hatchery Rd, I poked around up to the bridge at Devonshire Rd. Then a few stretches up to where the stream comes out of Lehigh County Club. I wasn't fishing just looking.

At 11 a.m. there were probably trico spinners still on the water even if you did not see any in the air at that time.

Thanks for the input. Probably leftover tricos like you said, even though I didn't see any. I think the Little Black Caddis is in the evening?

I only fish the Trico hatch on the Little Lehigh, so I have not been there since probably last Sept./Oct. I went there last Saturday expecting a great hatch and equally good water conditions finally. The water was perfect, however the tricos were sparse at best. It was breezy that day, so I know that can be tough on those tiny bugs, but not much happening at all.

I did notice some significant changes in the stream however. First of all, the lower park section had more streambed vegetation than I have ever seen there before. It actually looks like a spring creek again. I am not sure what to attribute this growth to, but it certainly looks more healthy. I did not see many fish, however. Nothing rising and not much in the usual locations. I know they have had some high water events over the past few weeks and it was evident on the banks where you can see the mud lines in the vegetation where it top over the banks. Maybe the fish like this new vegetation and are deep in the weeds. Who knows.

Another significant change was the section above the Heritage area. This area is now posted as a catch and release fishery that is both stocked and managed wild trout area. I like that. The lower park is still ATW. It would be nice if they could allow harvest for a couple months after the opener and then have it catch and release only the rest of the year. Or maybe keep the bows and release the browns. There are a significant amount of wild browns down there too. At least there used to be , , ,

One last change I saw was the trimming of the streamside vegetation up to the bank and the grass mowed beyond that. In previous years they have left the vegetation grow naturally and did not mow so close to the banks as they have this year. They have signs up that say they are maintaining a riparian buffer, but they don't really know how to do it correctly.

A lot going on up there. Some good, some bad. I am not a fan of the huge stockie bows in there either, but it seems the local bait guys love them and we had to take a shot a hooking a few. 2 big dumb bows landed and thrown back for the bait guys to harvest.

I'd say the wind on Sat definitely affected Trico fishing in the area.

I always think that along with the areas development , the wading in the heritage section and the loss of a few willow trees really hurt that stream . Seems like fixing the wing dams and planting a few some what mature willows would be an easy fix . Thats said i dont know how easy it is to work with Allentown parks dept.

CLSports wrote:

One last change I saw was the trimming of the streamside vegetation up to the bank and the grass mowed beyond that. In previous years they have left the vegetation grow naturally and did not mow so close to the banks as they have this year. They have signs up that say they are maintaining a riparian buffer, but they don't really know how to do it correctly.

This is a problem in many places. When riparian buffers are created, the boundaries are rarely marked.

IMHO they always should be marked. And the grounds maintenance crews given specific instructions that this is the mow / no mow line.

Without that, how are they supposed to know where the line is? These guys are paid to cut grass, to keep the vegetation trimmed. So, trying to do a thorough job, and thinking their supervisors might critique them if they miss areas they should be cutting, they just keep cutting into the riparian buffer a little bit more each year, and it is gradually narrowed.

These riparian buffer zones are great areas for ticks and other biting bugs to gather but they do little to enhance the LL.They do force you to wade in some areas where there is no room on the over grown banks to cast,which in some cases does the stream beds some harm.There are many complaints about this grow zone policy by the people that like to walk in the parkway and enjoy looking at the stream.

These riparian buffer zones are great areas for ticks and other biting bugs to gather but they do little to enhance the LL.They do force you to wade in some areas where there is no room on the over grown banks to cast,which in some cases does the stream beds some harm.There are many complaints about this grow zone policy by the people that like to walk in the parkway and enjoy looking at the stream.

The visual aspect is why the park system has cut the riparian buffer? I loved the high weeds because it buffered the sights and sounds all of the annoying people walking around while I was fishing . . .

I never had an issue casting and never got any ticks there in the high weeds. These weeds harbor other "bugs" like grasshoppers, crickets, etc. that are food for the fish, birds and any other wildlife that feeds on the bugs you speak of.

And saying that the stream is not enhanced by riparian buffer zones is just basic ignorance of their purpose in my opinion. The biggest advantage for that stream is to buffer storm runoff and keeping the excessive silt out of the stream.

Why not just mow the areas that people use to take their dogs to the water for a drink and the areas that have the deeper pools and see more of the spin/bait fisherman use early in the season? The areas that are away from the trail and are less accessible by foot should be left alone.

There can be a balance. Who cares about the stupid humans? They just ruin everything.

Regarding storm run off,the stream is silted in because of the storm run off that occurred and occurrs way up stream from the park.In the past,before the development in western Lehigh county,the heaviest rains only raised the stream level and made the water a milky green color.Now after any steady rain it turns into mud,how is that riparion buffer working?What the LL needs is rocks and work to narrow it in many sections,also the parks dept should allow any fallen trees that fall in the stream to stay there.

I agree with leaving the fallen trees. I can think of an instance where I was fishing around a fallen tree that was holding fish and I came back a few weeks later to see the tree had been removed and the fish were gone. They try to keep it too pristine.

If channel narrowing and rock placement can help the silt downstream then I am all for it. I know a lot of dead areas that could use some help.

Any opinion on why the stream bed weeds have grown in so nicely this year? It does seem to be improving in that area,

So the park above the hatchery is now catch and release?

If there was nothing but groomed lawns flanking the stream you wouldn't have fallen trees in the stream.

One of the main benefits of a forested riparian buffer is as a source of fallen trees that create pools and cover in streams.

Yes. At least some part of it. I saw several signs above the stone arch bridge, but I am not sure the limits of the area. It may be down to the Heritage section, but I cannot confirm that.

CLSports wrote:

Yes. At least some part of it. I saw several signs above the stone arch bridge, but I am not sure the limits of the area. It may be down to the Heritage section, but I cannot confirm that.

^ Not that I'm aware of...

The Heritage section from Fish Hatchery Rd down to the covered bridge is CR-FFO.

Above Fish Hatchery Rd to just above the golf course is Class A and without any harvest restrictions, and it is open regs stocked water above that.

Check out the County Guide Map and zoom in on the stream.

I did n't say anything about "mowing?" trees,more should be planted to replace the old willows that are dying off.However I don't see any value in weeds that are allowed to grow to 6' tall,why not mow it to a average of 1-2'.
AS far as the weed beds in the stream coming back I could only guess as to why that is happening,perhaps a pollutant has diminished?

The signs say it is a managed class A and stocked water. Harvest is allowed only during the regular trout season from opening day until Labor Day. During the extended season until February (when it closes again) it is managed as a catch and release fishery. I have pictures of the signs. These signs have appeared in other places on the stream too and well above the golf course.

Back