Little Juniata Float options

G

gibsygoldtop

Question about floating the Little Juniata at Spring Creek. Looking at the map, can you float from either Pemberton/Logging Rd down to the church or Spruce Creek at the church lot down to Barree Road?

Any insight if this is doable, good fishing and milage? Good day trip? What is the gauge level for a good float?

Thanks!

What kind of boat? One man toon? Raft? Hard bottom boat?

Are you wanting to fish from the boat?

Raft. Maybe fish from boat, but just a means to see a bunch of water in a day.

I floated the Little J in a three-man raft two weeks ago. Worked hard to get a half-dozen and was assured the river was off. Need to work on left-shoulder casts to fish the right bank more effectively. Lovely river, beautiful fish. Nymph rigs and streamers took them. Saw some floating bugs but the trout were not eating them. Raft was Snag City compared with a McKenzie drift boat. Prefer to wade.

What level would you say it needs to be at for a float in a 3 man raft? Mine is pretty big at 14.5 feet long. Thanks

What level would you say it needs to be at for a float in a 3 man raft? Mine is pretty big at 14.5 feet long. Thanks
Dear bringthepain,

I've read here and other places that 3 ft on the gauge at Spruce Creek is optimal wading condition. I've never fished the Little J so I'm going on what I have been told. It's currently at about 4 ft which to me seems like pretty good for floating but again not being there to see the color of the water, it may be just a boat ride and not much of a fishing trip unless you dredge nymphs or toss streamers.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The Little Juniata was high when I fished it two weeks ago but only slightly discolored and highly fishable. USGS data suggest it was 2.75 feet when I floated, which was highly floatable from Spruce Creek down. Right now, it's spiked around 4 feet. That suggests there is plenty of water for floating, but I don't know the river enough to advise.
Littlej430

Question about floating the Little Juniata at Spring Creek. Looking at the map, can you float from either Pemberton/Logging Rd down to the church or Spruce Creek at the church lot down to Barree Road?

Any insight if this is doable, good fishing and milage? Good day trip? What is the gauge level for a good float?

Thanks!
I have no insight on levels for floating the J, but I do want to caution you depending on section. Story time:

When I went to PSU, I often fished the J. A buddy of mine and I were fishing in the Gorge section in water that was probably right at 500-600 cfs if I had to guess. In the upper section or the gorge, there is an area I like to call the minefield because it has tons of protruding rock with swift current moving between. We were at the lower part of this section when a guide and a client came through. Their raft hung up on one of the many rocks peaks which they must have not seen and the client went overboard. The client was standing and actively casting when this happened Was definitely scary as I was worried he hit his head. One rod and a couple of other items in the stream and the only thing they were able to grab was the fly line coming from the reel, it was a sh*t show.

Don't stand and cast in highly rocky sections. If I was fortunate enough to have a raft and float, I feel like I would definitely stop and wade a lot of the sections on the J depending on flow. But what do I know, I am a stinky wade fisherman.

I have no insight on levels for floating the J, but I do want to caution you depending on section. Story time:

When I went to PSU, I often fished the J. A buddy of mine and I were fishing in the Gorge section in water that was probably right at 500-600 cfs if I had to guess. In the upper section or the gorge, there is an area I like to call the minefield because it has tons of protruding rock with swift current moving between. We were at the lower part of this section when a guide and a client came through. Their raft hung up on one of the many rocks peaks which they must have not seen and the client went overboard. The client was standing and actively casting when this happened Was definitely scary as I was worried he hit his head. One rod and a couple of other items in the stream and the only thing they were able to grab was the fly line coming from the reel, it was a sh*t show.

Don't stand and cast in highly rocky sections. If I was fortunate enough to have a raft and float, I feel like I would definitely stop and wade a lot of the sections on the J depending on flow. But what do I know, I am a stinky wade fisherman.
Always smart to take a seat for a moment in tricky sections. Usually you're making short casts in those situations anyway, so it's often possible to flip the fly out while seated. I prefer to wade. Burned out on guides rigging me up with a big plastic bobber, two bead heads and split shot.

Back