Little Juniata/Father's Day Weekend

C

Canoetripper

Six of us Juniata College Alumni(Classes 1981-1983) are renting one of those Yurt tents and a Pontoon boat at Raystown Lake this upcoming weekend.

I have Monday off to fish the Little J if I want to.

Any suggestions on a game plan or will the water be too warm, and should I just leave the trout alone? Thanks in advance.

I would guess the water will be fine temp wise (nights will be cool this week) and you can always check with a thermometer. Levels may be on the high side. I'd expect the usual June hatches but I always take a lot of soft hackle wets and terrestrials when I fish the LJ this time of year.

By the way, don't ignore Raystown Lake as FF game. There should still be some panfish on redds in June and bass will be post-spawn. Try throwing a popper at shoreline tree blow downs and weed beds in the morning. A big white streamer fished close to shore at night might temp some stripers as well.

Good luck with your trip - sounds like a fun time.

Raystown was actually sort of fun to FF... I did some bank busting for pans and crappie and then got into some bass too which i haven't done in years. My best luck was at the aitch pier though by far.

I can always stop at Spruce Creek Outfitters and get great information since they are right there, but I appreciate all of the board's advise since I haven't fished the Little J since I was in college.

I will bring two fly rods. My friend who loves my R&G club enough to make the drive from Richmond, VA will be there. I am also going to get new line on my ultra light spinning rod and buy some 3" silver/black floating Rapalas. The other guys on the trip aren't really into fishing, but we may get lucky.

I also have six of those Brood X Cicada flies too.

One of the guys on the trip gave up drinking five years ago and will be our designated driver and boat captain, which is really putting all of that combined Juniata College knowledge to good use as we will all be both legal and smart.

I am loaded up for Raystown Lake. I am hoping for Cicadas, but bought 4 poppers in case we get close enough to a secluded bank in our pontoon boat, which I think we probably will since I am sure that there are a lot of high horse power speed boats ripping up and down the middle of the main lake channel.

I haven't spin fished in a while, but do have an ultra light St. Croix one piece spin rod matched with a Shimano reel. This was primarily what I fished with on of my many years of canoe tripping. It is just much easier spin fishing than fly casting on a canoe trip while seated in a canoe for both paddlers.

Today was the first time that I have had my line changed in >20 years(4 lb. test). And, I bought three 3" Rapalas. >$32.00 spent.

I am not complaining, just explaining. If any of us catch anything, it will be money well spent. Size doesn't matter since this really is not a fishing trip. There will be a lot of drinking, reliving our college glory days, telling each other what great guys we are, and solving all of the world's problems(appropriate smilie).

We do have a designate driver and boat captain. We are all in our early 60's now. Time really does fly by.

Back