Little J trip next Friday

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I will be hitting up the Little J next Friday with some friends. I was wondering if any other PAFF members will be out on this water as well. Through my research I found there is a lot of caddis in that stream. I plan on stock piling some caddis and stone clinger flies for that day. Hatch charts for April reference hendrickson, BOW, Red quill, and tan caddis. I am assuming that the only one coming off this early will be the BWO, but might get lucky if the temps warm up the water.

What other flies work well on this water?

Do you have success with wet flies on this stretch or mostly nymphs and streamers?

My main plan is to drift some larger flies with, caddis, BWO nymph, and pheasant tial droppers.

I will also tie up some leeches and buggers, for larger trout and small mouth.

Is there a decent ammount of crayfish on this water as well.

Without blatant spot burning, where are some decent spots. Or at least parking spots, I can find decent water. I have only fished this one time when I was young.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Stop in to spruce creek outfitters and talk to Allen. He'll set you up with a map and suggest some places to fish.

Yes, I've consistently had success with wets on the Little J.

Definately stop by Spruce Creek Outfitters.
Caddis should start pouring off soon.
Crayfish are very hard to find even though the environment suits them. From what I understand its from previous pollution.

Stop in to spruce creek outfitters and talk to Allen. He'll set you up with a map and suggest some places to fish.

This exactly what he did with me the first time I went to the little J, when I was new to the area. Every time I went back he marked a new place on the map for me to fish, real nice and helpful guy.

There is plenty of open water for miles and all of it is good. From just south and west of Tyrone, all the way down and past Alexandria, there is great fishing.

Caddis, BWO and early blues and their nymphal second choice flies would be good things to have stocked along with streamers and junk flies for backup.

I have seen some rather large crays, mostly into the summer months, but I guess that have to be there all year, just not as active, I would think.

When I go to the Little J, I look always for surface activity. If there is none, which is rare, then nymphing the riffles is a good strategy. Streamers and nymphing: same damn thing if you ask me.

Back