line color preference

tbrom

tbrom

I just picked up a new rod and reel for native fishing. I order cabelas line. In the advertisement it looked to be a tan color. I got it today and it is fl orange. I have fished hot pink, fl green, fl yellow but never fl orange. I am not a big fan of fluorescent line to begin with. Being that this is a small stream, primarily shallow water set up I am not too concerned. On the flip side most of these fish are ultra spooky so if they see the line, any line they are gone. What is the general opinion on line color?

While I've only ever fished one line color, I don't think in your case it will make much of a difference. Last week I had a nice 8" native brookie repeatedly try to eat a fly that was reeled up against the rod tip. Whatever color line it is, as long as you don't slap the water too bad I think you'll be okay.

Fish either do not see the line or they do, but it doesn't matter much the color in my opinion.

What size line is it? I do not have any experience with the company but shadow fly lines (Google it) offers custom colors at a great price. Worth a search

My brookie line is fl. Orange and have used it for about 9 years now. I think it is only ever deterred a brookie twice that I have noticed.

All line is going to look black from below looking to the sky. I wouldn't worry about it.

I always go with muted color lines when fishing small streams. Whether it matters or not I don't care. But I do it for the principal and for the same reason I don't wear bright or light colored clothing, or carry reflective gear. Why take a chance.

Endless debate on this topic.I guess it all boils down to what works for you..
Personally I fish a clear dry fly line. No color no problem. I use sink tip lines that are brown with a yellow main section. With flourocarbon leaders how much is visible? GG

Based on prior threads on the subject, I believe line color does not matter in most situations but I believe the guy casting the line should feel comfortable with it.

If you don't need the line immediately return it.

Doesn't matter and the orange should be easy for you to see

It absolutely doesn't matter. If the fish is seeing your fly line before the fly, then it's probably "game over" anyway. This is one of those issues that really seems to matter more to the fisherman than it does the fish. Presentation, presentation, presentation is what's it's about!

if you are fishing sinking lines with short leaders[5 feet] I would suggest staying away from bright colors but floating lines makes no difference so why not the most visible to you? Peach is a good color but yellow always seemed amateur night at the Bijou to me.lol

I typically fish olive colored lines. Some think olive is less likely to spook fish. Who knows if its true or not, but I figure it can only help me, not hurt me to use olive lines, so that's what I do.

I started using earth tones about 20 years ago, my catches went up exponentially.

BC:
All line is going to look black from below looking to the sky. I wouldn't worry about it.

So how do you square that with choosing fly color? Or is that also not a concern?

tomitrout wrote:
BC:

So how do you square that with choosing fly color? Or is that also not a concern?

There are many who would indeed argue color does not matter, only size, profile, and of course presentation. I'm no sure where I stand on that myself. Obviously I put presentation above all else, but I'm not sure color has no bearing.

if they don't mind the color or your line.
then they don't mind the color of your FLY.
Hmmm???

Steve98

Back