Life Decisions - Job Hunting & Fishing

OP
Look into civil engineering firms located in your area of interest, most of them provide environmental engineering services.

Good luck!

Up to a certain point it can. But a certain point, there's.diminishing return on that. Much more money doesn't translate into much more happiness. Find out where that point of diminishing return is and shoot for it. But don't go too far beyond it. Spend that extra time fishing.
There is a price to be paid for climbing the corporate ladder. There are only so many hours in the day. Do you want to be there for your spouse? Do you want to help your kids with their calculus? Have time to take them to them to museums, go fishing, attend their sporting events? What about your community? Volunteer for TU projects? Take care of your sick parents? Everything comes at a cost. Balance is the key. I think we all know that.

Everyone has their own priorities but if I was 22 and in your situation, I would look for a job in your target area. You don’t want to ever wonder “what if I did this or that.” You are not going to have time for these things as life progresses. However, if your intention is to obtain a masters degree anyway, I would find a way to do it while you can get it for free.
Sell the truck, it’s probably worth more now then when you initially purchased it.

A masters degree will certainly help you in the EHS field. It may open more doors in the beginning but experience along with a portfolio consisting of successful cost saving projects are what you are going to need to get the salary you desire.
I endorse this option. You are not wedded to the truck. Buy a jalopy while you are in school. If you have a 20-30nhout work study stipend, consider a very part time weekend kind of job. Commute from Bellefonte if you have to. The MS degree acquisition will be a short period of your life. Regrets last forever.

Dump the truck payment (its a depreciating asset), pick up a beater.

A Masters' degree may not help you, but it likely will not hurt you either. Over a lifetime, it should increase your net earnings substantially., With academic degree inflation, the bachelors is now entry level, masters preferred and starting to see doctoral degrees in the business world.

You are young, go for it. It doesn't get easier as you pick up more responsibilities and those that depend on you.

There is a price to be paid for climbing the corporate ladder. There are only so many hours in the day. Do you want to be there for your spouse? Do you want to help your kids with their calculus? Have time to take them to them to museums, go fishing, attend their sporting events? What about your community? Volunteer for TU projects? Take care of your sick parents? Everything comes at a cost. Balance is the key. I think we all know that.
I paid this price and it wasn't fun. But it did allow me to walk away and be a bit of a trout bum for awhile. There is definitely a trend towards Machiavellian types the higher you go, some would even say sociopaths.

Back