Life Decisions - Job Hunting & Fishing

Now if I were an employer looking for an environmental resource manager I would hire the kid who was educated and passionate about his field. I would hire the kid that was looking for a job where he could best use his passion and education to save the planet. I would not hire the 22 year old kid who places trucks and trout fishing over his fledgling career. I would not hire a 22 year old kid who needs 1.5 hours of unwind time every night. I’m not sure what an environmental resource manager does but it can’t be that stressful where you can’t unwind over a cup of coffee, can it?

Many masters students work a second job to make things work unless Mom and Dad are helping out. Before pursuing a masters I would want to know what career benefits would be offered by having a masters ie more or better job opportunities. In many fields education does not always trump experience and prior performance.

It sounds like you have a pretty good gig going for being right out of school. If a masters in your field doesn't require hands on research, perhaps look into online programs. Maybe your employer would offer tuition assistance? Either way an online program may allow you to chip away at it while not being too financially cumbersome.

Now if I were an employer looking for an environmental resource manager I would hire the kid who was educated and passionate about his field. I would hire the kid that was looking for a job where he could best use his passion and education to save the planet. I would not hire the 22 year old kid who places trucks and trout fishing over his fledgling career. I would not hire a 22 year old kid who needs 1.5 hours of unwind time every night. I’m not sure what an environmental resource manager does but it can’t be that stressful where you can’t unwind over a cup of coffee, can it?
Again, well said. As a retired (@59) CFO of a fortune 100 Company, I would never have hired a 22 year old so concerned with Work/Life balance. Sorry. My guess is a large percent of the forum members work in Academia or some other funded government work which is fine and honorable, but does not adequately represent capitalism/free-enterprise - where the majority of Americans work.

FWIW, and despite what is touted on a company’s website or on their new hire pamphlets, most employers actually prioritize and value work over life when it comes to work/life balance and they guide their hiring and promotion decisions accordingly. As mentioned, capitalism.

FWIW, and despite what is touted on a company’s website or on their new hire pamphlets, most employers actually prioritize and value work over life when it comes to work/life balance and they guide their hiring and promotion decisions accordingly. As mentioned, capitalism.
That touting is a real challenge for us upper level managers. The new-hires have taken to job-hopping if the work/life balance doesn't fit their ideal. Real PITA to keep turning over staff and retraining. Best thing a newly out of school hire can do is keep their head down, work harder than their peers, and keep their work/life opinions to themselves. They'll be surprised how quickly they rocket upwards, seen it happen many times. I've also seen smart people flame out cause they just couldn't let go.

“Work/Life Balance” is one of those business buzzwords like synergy, cohort, deep dive, leveraging, etc. In other words and more accurately, “baloney”.

That being said most employers are actually pretty good about it, even if in reality the truth is that to them “work” comes first. Both of mine in my 15 year insurance career included. For the most part, most of the time. They offer good PTO, I get 27 days a year with unlimited rollover, and generally speaking, if you take a day off, you’re not expected to do any work. There’s days where you gotta sign on for a call or meeting, or something catches fire and you gotta deal with it, but that’s the exception not the rule. And there’s days with important stuff you know about in advance and you just don’t take off those days, but for the most part vacation time is well respected.

The caveat to that is in return employers expect work/company time to be well respected. When you’re at work, at home or in the office, you’re expected to be working. Not FFing, or whatever else. And the bottom line is that generally speaking, those who get promoted and advanced do so by out working their competition/colleagues. And companies value that - Employees who are committed and willing to put the “work” in to do what’s best for the company, even if it means sacrificing a bit on the “life” side. Probably the way it should be.

Last edited:
“Work/Life Balance” is one of those business buzzwords like synergy, cohort, deep dive, leveraging, etc. In other words and more accurately, “baloney”.

That being said most employers are actually pretty good about it, even if in reality the truth is that to them “work” comes first. Both of mine in my 15 year insurance career included. For the most part, most of the time. They offer good PTO, I get 27 days a year with unlimited rollover, and generally speaking, if you take a day off, you’re not expected to do any work. There’s days where you gotta sign on for a call or meeting, or something catches fire and you gotta deal with it, but that’s the exception not the rule. And there’s days with important stuff you know about in advance and you just don’t take off those days, but for the most part vacation time is well respected.

The caveat to that is in return employers expect work/company time to be well respected. When you’re at work, at home or in the office, you’re expected to be working. Not FFing, or whatever else. And the bottom line is that generally speaking, those who get promoted and advanced do so by out working their competition/colleagues. And companies value that - Employees who are committed and willing to put the “work” in to do what’s best for the company, even if it means sacrificing a bit on the “life” side. Probably the way it should be.
I guess if those workers want to sell their souls to the company, then great. They should climb the ladder and make big bucks and be taken care of. Too bad there is little loyalty from the companies. I've seen many people do that and get totally screwed.

I hate sounding like the heavy but when my career was fledgling all I concerned myself with was growing and advancing in my career. Note I said career and not my job. My career and doing well in my career was super important to me and it far outweighed 12” fish. I didn’t require loyalty or hours of unwind time as I entered contracts with those who paid me. They pay me what I agree to work for and when either of us didn’t like the arrangements we were both free to make other arrangements. Why do some think an employer owes anybody anymore then that?

it far outweighed 12” fish.

You must’ve been fishing for Browns. Gemmies don’t get that big.

Look out…poopdeck and Swattie agree on something. Anyone check the temperature in Hell recently. 😈

I hate sounding like the heavy but when my career was fledgling all I concerned myself with was growing and advancing in my career. Note I said career and not my job. My career and doing well in my career was super important to me and it far outweighed 12” fish. I didn’t require loyalty or hours of unwind time as I entered contracts with those who paid me. They pay me what I agree to work for and when either of us didn’t like the arrangements we were both free to make other arrangements. Why do some think an employer owes anybody anymore then that?

With all due respect, times are different now. The values you highlighted here are certainly admirable. It really depends on what you want out of life and what you consider a success. If your goal is to have a nuclear family unit and live the American dream of working yourself to death until you reach your “golden years”, then this is probably the plan you should follow.

My wife and I are both college educated and have decent careers. We don’t have kids and don’t plan on having any. We will never be millionaires no matter how hard we work to move up the corporate ladder. For this reason we’re not going to prolong our retirement. When we quit our careers it will probably be around 50 years and it won’t be because we have enough money but rather it’s a lifestyle choice. We’ll move somewhere that allows us to do things we love. Menial jobs will be just fine for us at that point and we will most certainly have to scale back.

We both watched our parents beat themselves up working until they could finally get social security. There best days are now behind them and they can no longer do the things that make them happy.

Point is, do the things you can that make you happy while you can. No one knows how long that will be so why squander your time.

You don't think humans deserve 1.5 hours of unwind time a night?

You must’ve been fishing for Browns. Gemmies don’t get that big.

Look out…poopdeck and Swattie agree on something. Anyone check the temperature in Hell recently. 😈
First melting ice caps and now this. What is going on.
With all due respect, times are different now. The values you highlighted here are certainly admirable. It really depends on what you want out of life and what you consider a success. If your goal is to have a nuclear family unit and live the American dream of working yourself to death until you reach your “golden years”, then this is probably the plan you should follow.

My wife and I are both college educated and have decent careers. We don’t have kids and don’t plan on having any. We will never be millionaires no matter how hard we work to move up the corporate ladder. For this reason we’re not going to prolong our retirement. When we quit our careers it will probably be around 50 years and it won’t be because we have enough money but rather it’s a lifestyle choice. We’ll move somewhere that allows us to do things we love. Menial jobs will be just fine for us at that point and we will most certainly have to scale back.

We both watched our parents beat themselves up working until they could finally get social security. There best days are now behind them and they can no longer do the things that make them happy.

Point is, do the things you can that make you happy while you can. No one knows how long that will be so why squander your time.
my goal was to be successful and retire in my 50’s with financial security. Mission accomplished. while You will be scaling back I’ll be ramping it up. time to live, fish and frolic anywhere I want. It would have been a loud clear failure of my life if my wife had to work a menial job in her golden years. I guess thats a character flaw of those believing in the nuclear family.
You don't think humans deserve 1.5 hours of unwind time a night?
now this is just a silly comment. I think you get out of life what you put into it.

It would have been a loud clear failure of my life if my wife had to work a menial job in her golden years. I guess thats a character flaw of those believing in the nuclear family.

It’s not a character flaw at all. You did exactly what you needed to do to accomplish your goals in life and it sounds like you are happy with your decisions.

I have made a choice, and likely the OP, to spend more time throughout the entirety of my life doing the things I love. I don’t want to wait for the twilight of my life to make things happen.

I understand that this unconventional and not for everyone. Everyone’s situation is different and what people value may require different plans in life. Not everyone has to prescribe to the same way of thinking.

my goal was to be successful and retire in my 50’s with financial security. Mission accomplished. while You will be scaling back I’ll be ramping it up. time to live, fish and frolic anywhere I want. It would have been a loud clear failure of my life if my wife had to work a menial job in her golden years. I guess thats a character flaw of those believing in the nuclear family.

now this is just a silly comment. I think you get out of life what you put into it.
Well that's exactly what you said.

If you haven't read the River Why, it deals with these issues to a degree. If we fished all the time would it be fun? If we never worked would that be rewarding? While people may have somewhat different priorities, I am of the firm belief that people are a lot more similar than different.

I guess if those workers want to sell their souls to the company, then great. They should climb the ladder and make big bucks and be taken care of. Too bad there is little loyalty from the companies. I've seen many people do that and get
I guess if those workers want to sell their souls to the company, then great. They should climb the ladder and make big bucks and be taken care of. Too bad there is little loyalty from the companies. I've seen many people do that and get totally screwed.
I, and ALL I’ve known who have “climbed the corporate ladder and made big bucks” never felt entitled to “be taken care of” Each and every day was a competition to perform and keep our jobs.
There really seems to be a generational divide here. Luckily my children (early 30’s) have followed my example. None of us have ever complained about not having enough time or resources to indulge our hobbies. As someone previous alluded, hobbies and fun are more rewarding when earned. Again, don’t believe the lie, money can buy a lot of happiness.

If you haven't read the River Why, it deals with these issues to a degree. If we fished all the time would it be fun? If we never worked would that be rewarding? While people may have somewhat different priorities, I am of the firm belief that people are a lot more similar than different.
when my father retired he said he was going to fish everyday which he did. After a few years he took a part time job working a couple days a week. I thought his pension was running short. He said fishing started to bore him without having something to compare it to so he took a part time job to put the fun back in fishing.

just like in baseball if every time you stepped to the plate you hit a home run it probably wouldn’t mean much. Now strike out a few times before hitting a home run and that home run is now way more meaningful and fun.

I, and ALL I’ve known who have “climbed the corporate ladder and made big bucks” never felt entitled to “be taken care of” Each and every day was a competition to perform and keep our jobs.
There really seems to be a generational divide here. Luckily my children (early 30’s) have followed my example. None of us have ever complained about not having enough time or resources to indulge our hobbies. As someone previous alluded, hobbies and fun are more rewarding when earned. Again, don’t believe the lie, money can buy a lot of happiness.
Up to a certain point it can. But a certain point, there's.diminishing return on that. Much more money doesn't translate into much more happiness. Find out where that point of diminishing return is and shoot for it. But don't go too far beyond it. Spend that extra time fishing.

Is this discussion stocked or wild?
Yes, it is.

Back