Lehigh, where to start?

T

Takem

I want to fish the Lehigh in the near future. I've been trying for months but there's always high water from rain or whitewater releases. It's looking wadeable now but I'm not sure where to start. I'm about 1.5 hours from Jim Thorpe area. Where would be a good place to start? I've got studs and a wade staff. I was thinking bowmanstown area but open to any suggestions. Looks like easy access at that boat ramp on the map. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I suggest looking back through some of the old posts, I know there are a crap load of them. A ton of info on here about the Lehigh. Then head over to the LCFA page and look at access points. I will suggest anywhere north of Catasauqua will have fish in it. Some more then others. Have fun exploring there is a ton of water. Every year I am fishing new water and I have fished it for over 15 years pretty regularly.

access point map link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z2nGgFRIOgTk.kqUsFaUeyG9g&hl=en

or start at Glen Ononoko and hike or bike up the railroad bed until you see water you like.

I was where you were in 2014.
Since early 2014,I have fished the LR about 30-40 times.I have taken six 3 day trips ,so I could spend more time exploring than traveling back and forth from West Chester,PA.

Here's my brief recommendation(all of which I've done)
!) help stock the LR.(through the LRSA)Takes 2 Saturdays in the Spring.You learn all the stocking points ,but most importantly you get a broad overview of the river,access points,parking areas.

2)Learn the safe water levels to wade and start exploring(hopefully with another angler for safety purposes).I have waded some pretty hairy water over the years,but the LR is up there in terms of difficulty.The LRCWA has a good wading guide,AND,a great website for locating access points

3)Wherever you fish,take the time to greet and talk to other anglers.Mention that you are new to the river.You will be pleasantly surprised at how much intel you can get this way.I even met one ff who invited me to join him and he pointed out "good" spots to me.We hit it off and I have fished 4 times with him this year..all at different spots, that I never would have found on my own

4)It is a very big river,so take your time,and be persistent.As Shane Becker says above,he is still learning the river after 15 years fishing it.Be flexible in your tactics.e.g.I haven't fished wets/soft hackles in 40 years.I saw a ff above me hammering them,while I was having marginal success with nymphs.so I decided to relearn wet fly techniques and it has paid off on the LR(and else where).Be prepared to eat some humble pie,as you learn the river

5)Invest in a few float trips.I only did one in 2014,because I couldn't find any one to share a trip.I intend to do at least 2 this year.I'm sure if you post up on this forum(which I did not do),you will find someone to jump in with you

Good luck and TL
Tom

Good info. Thanks guys. Anything you would recommend to have in my fly box? Got s coupon from orvis. I might stock up tonight.

Fall is Iso's on top and big Phasent Tail Bead head nymphs below.

Size 10 Iso on top. I prefer a comparadun with a trailing shuck. Either a prince nymph, Iso nymph, or bead head pheasant tails underneath. Please make sure when your dry fly drift is over you pull the dry under the water and slowly strip in back to you.

SBecker wrote:
Size 10 Iso on top. I prefer a comparadun with a trailing shuck. Either a prince nymph, Iso nymph, or bead head pheasant tails underneath. Please make sure when your dry fly drift is over you pull the dry under the water and slowly strip in back to you.

Aww man, just tell 'em all the Lehigh fishing secrets why don't ya? :p ;-)
Next thing you'll be telling them to skitter their flies in the riffs and tails of pools too, especially the caddis. :-o

Had a hit while stripping in an iso nymph. Saw a couple trout rise. Not too much activity. Learned a few areas worth fishing in bowmanstown. Never saw another person. That seemed strange.

ISO's for sure, yellow or black zonkers, anything peacock --zug bug, prince, wooly worm/bugger, peacock & brown soft hackle, and stimulators in orange, yellow or chartreuse. Royal Wulff.

I know its a little late with the info but in case you go again.

Sounds like your standard first trip to the Lehigh, nothing worth
doing is easy. I rarely see others fishing , fly guys even less except where the Po enters the river. It's coming on prime fall fishing and the fish will eventually accept your offerings if you put in the time.

Met up with Brad today for an afternoon on the river. As he was more or less looking for a place to start. I showed him a bunch of access in the gorge area. Also a few strategies on how and where to fish the river to avoid the kayak and raft hatches, and how to fish around FEW releases.

We fished a few hours above White Haven, saw a lot of BWO Spinners most likely from the few days of dreary weather. Smallish 18 or 20's, and a few ISO's. Then fished downstream of I80 bridge which was pretty slow.

Fishing was off all around. Got some on caddis larvae but had to work for them.

The stockies are starting to feel the pinch now. Large heads and skinny bodies tell me they are losing weight and will soon be in the great river in the sky.

All in all a beautiful fall day for fishing plus I made a friend. Nice meeting you Brad, hopefully I helped you. Best of luck and call if you want to meet again. Hopefully the fishing will be better.

Finished up showing him some access in Rockport area.

Finally, We were going to start the day fishing what is locally known as the guage or tailwaters section. The gate across the access road was closed. First I have witnessed that, any info on why would be helpful.

Thanks again. Great weather and I learned a lot. It's s huge jump start into fishing the Lehigh.

I fished it Saturday, Raines until about 10. Caught 5 trout on the day. Saw BWOs throughout the day and October caddis. Was swinging wet flies the whole day, thanks GenCon!

Tigereye wrote:

The stockies are starting to feel the pinch now. Large heads and skinny bodies tell me they are losing weight and will soon be in the great river in the sky.

Tigereye, serious question here, so not trying to be an a**. The Lehigh seems to me to be an ideal trout fishery during fall and winter months. It has reasonable flow year round and my suspicion is that it has plenty of deep holding water for temperature extremes. I would expect there is also plenty of food so why would stocked trout be dying at this point? Are there that many wild trout to out compete the stockies? I've never fished it so I'm totally clueless. Thanks for your input. I've always meant to get up there and try it out.

My theory is that the stockies expend too much energy feeding or have not learned how to feed in the river. Thermally you are correct. The river has plenty of cool water refuges to take advantage. Feeder streams, spring seeps, shade, deep holes, and well oxygenated. When first stocked the fish are chunky, broad bodied and well fed albeit on pellets. Once in the river awhile, if they are not acclimated they soon begin to lose a lot of weight. Their head seem disproportionate to their girth. They are long and skinny. If someone can offer a better explanation I'm all eArs.

All fish caught Saturday were chunky and good looking.

Also, mega release scheduled for this weekend. Wading would be a death wish.

Ya I'm not buying the whole skinny fish deal, pleanty of wild and stocked chunckers to go around.

Not buying it? What is not to believe. How do you explain these fish in poor condition? I never said the problem was habitat, the problem is the fish. I have a theory and until I am disproven, it stays.

Back