Lehigh River ISO Hatch

Smike

LCFA has advocated and contacted PFBC to close the Po from the Parryville dam to the confluence extending 500 yards downstream on the Lehigh.

We have heard every excuse under the sun why this can't be done by the PFBC.

We are also trying to get colder water released from Beltzville and slightly higher releases volumes too during these dry summer situations. Again, we hear reasons why not to do something rather then trying to find a solution to the issue OR the PFBC feels its not a worthy effort to pursue.

I read the LRSA is working with the Restaurant landowner along the Po below the Parryville dam to temporarily close access. Not sure the status of that effort.

Maybe part of the reason PA doesn't have as many world class trout fisheries as other states is because how the PFBC manages or doesn't manage them???

I hope Penns sets a precedent.

Smike,
Speaking for myself with respect to my observations and reviews of what has been written here and elsewhere about the Lehigh over the years, if the wild trout population is so good, why are those who normally oppose stocking over good wild trout populations apparently not speaking out in this case?

Mike I've never fished the Lehigh but it probably has something to do with the fact that it's a big@ss river with plenty of room for both and not a 20 ft wide native brookie stream.

sarce wrote:
Mike I've never fished the Lehigh but it probably has something to do with the fact that it's a big@ss river with plenty of room for both and not a 20 ft wide native brookie stream.

Hahahaha I pretty much thought this was obvious.

LehighRegular wrote:
Smike

We are also trying to get colder water released from Beltzville and slightly higher releases volumes too during these dry summer situations. Again, we hear reasons why not to do something rather then trying to find a solution to the issue OR the PFBC feels its not a worthy effort to pursue.

I read the LRSA is working with the Restaurant landowner along the Po below the Parryville dam to temporarily close access. Not sure the status of that effort.

I almost feel like its a double standard with the Lehigh. I'm very torn about blowing the lid off of the wild trout in detail to finally get agencies to wake up.

Mike,

I'll start by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of the Lehigh and agreed that it was way over-hyped.

On my first float (which was prime time in the spring 2-3 years ago), I saw virtually ZERO insects. Did manage to catch a decent stocked bow (16") and several small wild browns 4"-6" long.

I waited a year or two before going back. The guy I went with insisted that I pound streamers all day. I got a smallmouth. I then was talked into trying it one more time. We hit the lower river in the fall (5-15 miles below Jim Thorpe). That water does get 'some' private club fish stocked in the spring. The water temps also get near 80 late in the summer. Most stockers would have been removed or perished due to stress, right? Springs, feeders and thermal refuge is found by them....somehow. I also think that the amount of rapids help keep the dissolved oxygen just high enough to keep the trout hanging on, in spite of warm temps.

The fall float saw good hatches of caddis, ISO and olives. In the course of the 5-6 mile float, we saw at least 100 steadily rising fish. We took fish on nymphs and dries. Some were stocked but a majority were wild fish. I'd also question if there isn't some reproduction of rainbows in certain sections.

I think there's far more wild fish in the river's lower section than the PFBC believes exist. Getting a good count will be tough to impossible because of the river size, depth, speed, etc. FWIW, the warm water compatible rainbow species that they are trying in the Tully might be the ticket here.

Are you sure the guy writing down the numbers during the last survey was using the pointed end of the pencil and not the rubber end of the pencil?

Mike wrote:
Smike,
Speaking for myself with respect to my observations and reviews of what has been written here and elsewhere about the Lehigh over the years, if the wild trout population is so good, why are those who normally oppose stocking over good wild trout populations apparently not speaking out in this case?

Fascinating thing is the river is not consistent in its ability to harbor and support wild trout throughout its length from the dam to Slatington, there are many factors at play. Things from O2 levels, to AMD, spawning grounds, to tribs and water temps all are in the mix. Like others I honestly don’t think the stress of stocking plays much of a factor, as the size of river and amount of aquatic life can support it. I’m going to reach out to my contact at the PAFBC and see if they wish to try sampling again, this time in the right place. Granted a fly rod is no scientific sampling tool, but multiple days with the numbers and types of fish I have found is mind changing. (I’m not that lucky, might not even be that good at FF either )

One of the finer examples of wild Loch Level strain BT caught beginning of July before the temps rose and summer hiatus kicked in. (Temp was 66 at noon with 68 out of the dam)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanislawphoto/28925350811/in/dateposted-public/

Mike - There is a good to fair population of wild trout in the Lehigh. Like someone said, its a big azz river. I'd say if the river wasn't stocked it would still be an OK place to fish for trout. Stockings definitely enhance the experience and provide more opportunities to catch a trout.

As for limitations, the biggest factor is temperature. During very warm, dry summers (such as this year) the trout will find refuge. Especially the wild trout. Only so many trout you can jam in these refuge areas and the fact that the locals and natural predators realize this along with other issues that goes with trout congregating in a small area,....it all does take its toll on wild trout numbers.

Kray - I've been fishing the river for a long time. Not sure why it happens, but there are days when this river completely shuts down. Can't explain it. Bugs, fish, etc....its like the river went completely dead. Then a week later you can catch 30-40 trout in a day.

As for electro shocking - its virtually impossible for so many reasons to get a good sampling size and population estimates. In this case rod/creel surveys may be the best piece of equipment one can use to sample the river.

I think if (big IF) the PFBC had the energy, resources and interest the Lehigh would be a great river to study to see how wild trout survive in this environment.

I've volunteered services to PFBC to organize a flotilla down the river with officials / biologist / lawmakers. "Already been done" was the response and one of the boat owners basically replied "F them. It's a waste of your time to try and organise something like that. PFBC doesn't care about the wild fish in the system.".

Kray - Our group (LCFA) took a bunch of people down the river a number of years ago. We did this for 3 or 4 years in a row. We had people from PFBC, DCNR, ACOE, legislators (Fed & State), etc.

A year or two ago, the PFBC tried to shock using a john boat, needless to say it was done in futility. Lots of factors going against shocking this river. Size, depth, fast current, low conductivity, ....etc. Bottom line, it ain't easy.

I don't think the PFBC biologists really understand the river or have past experiences to understand what potential this river has with some changes. There is NO vision. Some people with in the PFBC do, but not sure why there is no real interest or initiative to press the issues. This is speculation, but maybe some internal politics going on with staff and commissioners and among other agencies. Add that the PFBC has no money and its a recipe for complacency.

If you want to target shocking for wild trout numbers on the Lehigh let me just say the current locations below the dam, and near JT are not the place. Yes you will get some, and some days it like a ghost town. There are honey pot sections in that river. This is due to seeps, tribs, stocking pressure, and lack of AMD. (or at least AMD as a % of the river volume) If a C&R count in the same section over several trips produces numbers 30+ wild fish its hard to push that back to the head.

What turns people off is the swings in activity (its on, its off) and knowing where to target wild fish. Its a big river and if we had better water management and additional AMD reduction those magic mile sections would span a lot more of the river system.

Smike

I think the water management is pretty good given the amount of storage and water available. The changes that have been made allow for more fishing opportunities than prior years.

Smike wrote:
LehighRegular wrote:
Smike

I almost feel like its a double standard with the Lehigh. I'm very torn about blowing the lid off of the wild trout in detail to finally get agencies to wake up.

For the most part they don't want to wake up. Mike's previous post underscores that mindset well. The PFBC has a long history of denying the Lehigh as a trout fishery much less a wild trout fishery. "Resource First- well maybe, if we get around to it."

I fish the LR a lot,but have been fishing it only for three years.
I probably make 20-25 day trips a year from my home in West Chester,PA.

the one remark made above that rings especially true to me is the "feast or famine" aspect of the LR.(which at times can be very discouraging)
My home water is the Main Stem and the WB. Certainly,not "easy" water,but I find a lot more consistency in the catching there than on the LR.

However,I am extremely grateful that there is a LR and the effort made the LRCA and LRSA to improve the fishery

I've never found it to be all that inconsistent. Some days are tough but they're more the exception than the rule on this river. Early hatches can take some time to get going and there can be some in between days but its got a lot of bugs not to mention other foods to feed its fast growing fish.

RyanR wrote:
I've never found it to be all that inconsistent. Some days are tough but they're more the exception than the rule on this river. Early hatches can take some time to get going and there can be some in between days but its got a lot of bugs not to mention other foods to feed its fast growing fish.

When I first started fishing this river in '04 i found it very hit or miss. It was discouraging and had me floating less as it didn't seam worth the effort. I then found myself using the bike more and trying to focus more on timing of hatches and fishing mostly dries. Over recent years it has gotten better and you can find fish just about every trip. I upgraded to a 3 man boat just for this river and often hook up using various methods...sometimes on dries, nymphs and streamers which makes for a gratifying day.

It seems like a no brainer to me that its worth it to improve this river.

To Mike's question above stocking over wild fish...a few years ago there was an effort to get the river classified as class A and cease stocking, not sure who/how but it fizzled out. I also share the sentiment that stocking makes it better for now, until the temps get fixed.

To get better temps, what needs to happen? I'm guessing better management of cold water pool at FEW ........ AND........ A little more cold water out of Beltsville + removal of dam behind the bar ??

Are there any USGS gauges between FEW and Bowmanston that have water temperature?

Would be interesting to see the water "cool" as it moves down river...

Kray - What has to happen... the short answer is Money, Support and sustained Interest. The longer answer is that FEW needs more water stored during the summer then currently is stored. FEW also needs a discharge tower that has selective withdraw capabilities to discharge water at different depths in the lake. Right now, the water is discharged off the bottom and the coldwater is depleted by mid July. Beltzville can help and add a nice shot of cold water.

Mills - No USGS gauges on the Lehigh that show temp between FEW and Bowmanstown. However, the cooling affects have been documented by the Army Corps.

I went out on the hottest day coming out of the F.E.W. dam (Over 75 degrees) and measured the river temp close to the middle of the gorge. Temp there was 72 at 11am. That is just enough drop to give wild trout a good shot at riding out the heatwave. While trout from the dam down to say at least White Haven are cooked unless they can find a seep or something. But it shows that once the cold pool runs out as others have noted, the river cools as it gets away from the dam.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
Back