Lehigh River and the PFBC's take on wild trout.

SBecker

SBecker

It’s time for a wild plan for the Lehigh

August 17. 2013 1:54PM

By Tom Venesky - tvenesky@civitasmedia.com

More Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle
Font size:
I cast a spinner into the deep, churning pools of the Lehigh River and retrieved it slowly, hoping for a trout to emerge from the depths and strike.

The river below the Francis Walter Dam is broad, swift and deep, filled with pools, pockets and runs that hold trout. It resembles some of the world-famous wild trout waters in the western states, with one difference: it’s stocked.

There are wild trout in the Lehigh River, and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has been augmenting the population by releasing thousands of fingerlings.

But the river below the dam is also stocked with adult trout, which out-compete their wild counterparts.

Since the river has so much in common with the wild trout waters of the west, shouldn’t it be managed like one?

Norm Gavlick, who is a commissioner on the PFBC board representing the northeast region, says yes. Right now, the agency is considering changing some sections of streams across the state to Class A waters, meaning they would be managed exclusively for wild trout and they would no longer be stocked.

Gavlick would like to see the same thing happen to the Lehigh, but that’s a catch. In order to sustain thriving populations of wild trout, a new tower needs to be built at the dam, one that would allow water from all levels of the pool to be released, ensuring that cold water flows for 28 miles downriver year round (visit lehighriver.org for more information).

“Out west they protect their wild trout populations and don’t stock. Here, we’ve done it for so long in the opposite direction,” Gavlick said. “Why should we stock trout in certain places knowing that it’s going to hurt the wild trout population?”

Good question.

The path for a new tower on the dam won’t be an easy one. The support of politicians and the public is vital, and that could be tough. How do you convince anglers who turn out on the Lehigh in droves that no longer stocking trout in the river is a good thing?

For starters, Gavlick is hoping a study looking at the economic impact of making the Lehigh a wild trout fishery will help. The wild trout streams of the west are major fishing destinations, he said, and the Lehigh could be a similar draw.

“If we kept the water cold in the Lehigh, the wild trout would thrive and anglers would travel for that type of fishing experience,” Gavlick said. “We’re confident we can show a significant economic boost from this.”

So what happens to the trout allocations originally designated for the Lehigh and those other streams that would be switched to Class A?

Well, they certainly won’t disappear. Gavlick said shifting those trout to bolster stockings in lakes and streams with good access, but no wild trout, and improve the put-and-take fisheries in those places.

If that means taking all of the trout that were stocked annually into the Lehigh and shifting them to places like Moon Lake and Nescopeck Creek, then anglers would still benefit.

And so would the wild trout in the Lehigh River tailwaters.

Still, such a project will take time and patience. Getting the approvals and funding for a new tower will take years, as will establishing a viable wild trout fishery similar to those found in places like Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.

And yes, it is asking a lot from anglers to go along with removing their favorite trout spots from the stocking list. These are places that throngs of anglers flock to each year on opening day of trout season, and such traditions are hard to break.

But new ones can be born. A world-class wild trout fishery in the Lehigh River tailwaters just may be a new tradition waiting to happen.

It's about time.

More progress, slowly but surely I think we'll get there. Nice article and now I suppose we'll hear from the usual naysayers and do-nothings.

What are the July/August water temps below the dam now (i.e., pre-tower upgrade)?

How much would the tower cost to build?

We'll have to see what happens with the person holding the checkbook.

The July / August water temps have been mostly above 70 degrees. Nice article, seems like a dream but it is nice to think about. But, hey, there's wild trout in Nescopeck Creek too, many creeks that get heavily stocked have wild trout. It seems like an up hill battle to convince license buyers that less stocking means better fishing.

SurfCowboy and I floated the Lehigh on Friday for smallies below Walnutport. Smallie fishing blew, but damn if we did not see over 100 trout rising during our trip. Obviously, we were not prepared for this.

The water temps in White Haven have very recently dropped, and with the white water release they actually dropped below 60 degrees briefly.

What was on the water that the trout were feeding on?

Iso's and what we think were tricos. Maybe a few caddis as well.

Jason S they're claiming the new tower will cost upwards of 18 million dollars just to release water from the top of the lake during cold months I now live about 2 miles from the upper lehigh and I must say it is absolutely beautiful here in the lehigh gorge. There is tons of game lands all around here and of course hickory run state park. I can see it being a world class wild trout tail water. We all should do what we can to make this a reality. If anyone knows when the open meetings for the lehigh Coldwater fishery alliance is please post.

I would love to see the PFBC take a stand like Montana and put any stream supporting wild trout (regardless of biomass present) to Class A waters. I did like seeing they are at least studying the effects of not stocking some Class B waters.

After seeing how much revenue the stocking program brings in vs wild trout fisheries, and knowing first hand the ignorance (read instant gratification, ignorance of knowledge, and failure to see past the present) of the majority (I see us here as the minority) of "sportsman" in PA, I don't see it happening they way I'd like to see it.

Any of you cats ever see this link?

The fishing this summer for trout has been good. Thanks to the rain and air temps. This fall it should be great! We've been catching more smaller wild browns (or at least wild brown looking) than ever before. This could very well be a direct result of the augmentation from Walter. I do not know, but it is good to see the PFBC actively taking a position on improving the Lehigh. Without them leading the way nothing will ever change as far as management changes and modifications at Walter. I look forward to the results of the economic study.

Changes at Beltzville pertaining how water is released and how the Po is managed is also crucial. They both go hand in hand.

Interesting read Becker. Thanks for posting. Even though I've moved away, I would love to have this happen to the Lehigh.

Tups wrote:
What are the July/August water temps below the dam now (i.e., pre-tower upgrade)?
Right now at White Haven the highs have been around 70 degrees. Earlier this summer it was a bit higher, but most years they run out of cold water.
As far as I know the tower has multiple releases, but they don't all work. The bigger problem is getting releases to protect trout. To do that ACE has to raise the reservoir level, they won't, and they have to consider fishing and fish as somthing they should manage for, they haven't. But they sure manage for the rafters and kayakers.

Sure it might be 70f coming from the dam, but it has been cooling the furthur downstream you get from the dam. In fact the mouth of the Lehigh has not been 70F since Tuesday. The heat this week will change that though.

18 mill..........how much was that water treatment plant built in the middle of the state forests for that river/stream we recently saw, 14 million? Simmeqhoning was it? This would be closer to many more people and has the entire Gorge bike path which is over 20 miles to Walnutport, near a massive population center.

So, the water gets better(colder) it brings in more fisherman, and fisherman from NYC, NJ, Ct, Md, who want cabins, pay taxes, buy local goods. Now, you combine that with the state forest, game lands, parks in the region, and all the other streams in the area, and you have a real gem for sportsman.

Now, of course, some people would see this influx of people as a negative, but............ if it did become colder the water pushing farther down river would then make more water fishable, where it becomes wider and deeper and spread out pressure.

And, ya still gotta bike or walk the upper river anyway, there are spots with no road access for quite a few miles(3,4,5, 6 even, I think).

The river NOW(all summer) is not cracking 72 coming out of the dam, and was at 66 until the end of June http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=&begin_date=2013-06-14&end_date=2013-08-18&site_no=01447800

And as VC said that is at the dam gate which is hitting 72 as a high. Once it gets down about 5 or more miles it starts dropping form the larger tribs. And that is why, right now, you have all wild micro populations that are not stocked as I type this.

If there were 0 rafters, I think that cold water pool could be managed all summer to have cooler water without the new release.
And, then we have this little anomaly recently http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=01447800&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

I don't know what that is above, but it appears that the water may have cooled in the 50 degree nights, and this last weekend of water releases dumped 60 degree water in mid August. Maybe it is a glitch, but don't think so.

BeastBrown. That is a glitch no doubt re the gage. I agree with everything you say.

FYI - The LRSA has a gage in the palmerton area that you can access via their site. Check it out. It has been reading consistently cooler than the release from Walter. Buy in from the state is what is needed. These are jobs that can't be outsourced, and for the most part the infrastructure is already place.

Last time there was a drought emergency in the D watershed. I think it was 2002, the DRBC requested the Corps take FEW to 1,392. That August due to the retention time of the impoundment at that level the water release was cold. There were no whitewater releases, and no selective withdrawl capability. There was cold/cool water well downstream. And the ISO fishing was great! So there is no doubt that without the constant whitewater releases there would be coldwater every season. They are never going away though. Without them we would not be looking at a WARMER release of water than what is flowing into the reservoir. Thermal degradation.

That link didn't contain the data http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=&begin_date=2013-08-11&end_date=2013-08-18&site_no=01447800

Yeah, I started to think about that, lol, and realized 3 or 4 nights of cold water dumping in was probably nowhere near enough volume to drop a colder layer down under the hot one that would justify such cold releases, oh well.

I think Lehigh regular mentioned that summer as well and the Isos.

Guess a lobbyist is needed at this point. Those rafters are going to bring that Didymo up river faster from their Delaware boats. The ducks wash themselves, lol.

So beautiful, but dangerous....

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-08-17/news/mc-lehigh-gorge-dangerous-hiking-20130817_1_glen-onoko-falls-trail-and-gorge-overlooks-chief-william-diehm

Back