Lehigh private fishing club

This isn’t an ethics or philosophy class. Guy asks about fishing what we all agree is public water. Can you....should you...? Not the issue. You own it. Fish it. That water in NYS is a totally different issue.

JohnPowers wrote:
This isn’t an ethics or philosophy class. Guy asks about fishing what we all agree is public water. Can you....should you...? Not the issue. You own it. Fish it. That water in NYS is a totally different issue.

What NYS water are you discussing? Federal navigability supersedes any state law.

afishinado wrote:
Every angler is free to fish anywhere on a navigable waterway within the river bed aka high water mark. It's perfectly legal. So again, do as you please.

I got the impression from the OP when he mentioned a "hoity toity private fishing club" that he was fishing there to make a point by trying to stick it to the owners of the property.

I fish for pleasure. I don't take pleasure in doing something to stick it to anyone. For me, getting out fishing relieves stress, not causes more!

It sort of reminds me of the guys on the stream that low-hole and crowd you out by fishing right on top of your line when there's plenty of other places in the stream to fish. You know the type, the guys that tell you "I paid for my license too!" Yes, it's perfectly legal for them to fish there, but is it the right thing to do? It's really up to the individual.

Fish through the middle of their property if you think it's right for you to do so because it's legal. Believe it or not, sometimes if the stream I'm fishing goes right through someones yard or near their house or deck, it's perfectly legal for me to fish right through. But I often choose to work my way around or turn around and not fish there.

A lot of guys think that's just being a dumb dim-wit by not taking full advantage of my legal rights. I will admit, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I sleep well at night and have a great time fishing every time out. I guess that's what really counts.

I don't know the situation with that river at all. I must be missing some knowledge or information as I would never relate someone fishing a public river to high holeing someone. You seem like a reasonable guy so I'm just gonna take your word on this one.

The Adirondacks are full of waterways that flow through, abut, cross, straddle paper company land, ausable club land, Rockefeller land, Whitney land and accessibility is a constant issue. Not comparable to the situation on the Lehigh. Bringing up waterways in NYS muddies the water. What’s the reg on the Lehigh? Abide by it. Your motivation is not the issue.

troutbert wrote;

I was thinking the same thing about what others are implying.

I didn't think I was "implying" (strongly suggest the truth or existence of something not expressly stated)

I thought my comment was quite clear actually. The OP asked if he "could" fish through the private club water. I wouldn't ever fish through private club water because I "could" based on some archaic navigability law that is 200 years old. But that is just me. I have dozens of miles of uncontested water where I can freely ply my flies without having to resort to wondering about the legalities of where I fish. Is that clearer?

Ryansheehan wrote;

You fish the west branch right? Pretty sure there are a number of land owners who don't want you to fish through "their property". Somehow I feel like that 200 year old declaration of navigability is important to you there right?

Yes, I do fish the WB, EB, and main and yes there a few landowners who have posted there property but they do own the stream bottoms and can preclude me and everyone else from wading/fishing through or drifting and anchoring in with the intent to fish. However there are dozens of other miles of posted water where property owners can only legally preclude one from walking on, or above, the theoretical high water mark. BTW that point is very ambigous at best!

Again it just comes down to a choice that I have made. I choose to enjoy myself with no possibility of creating angst or somehow disturbing others and myself. You guys can choose what ever paths your rationalizations take you.

wbranch wrote:

However there are dozens of other miles of posted water where property owners can only legally preclude one from walking on, or above, the theoretical high water mark. BTW that point is very ambigous at best!

I agree that it is a little bit ambiguous. Part of that is because some people think that included the flood plane when it does not. It's all based on British history and the tides, but of course that is an island. Here, it is also applied to inland streams that are not influenced by tides. In those cases, normal high water is basically considered between the banks. The areas where land vegetation can't take a long term hold. I'm sure there are better explanations, but that would be mine.

If you are walking on the rocks and sand along the stream where they are frequently covered in water in non-flood conditions, (between the banks), you are probably OK.

If you are fishing from the bank, likely not OK. If you are walking through grass, or around live trees to get to the next spot, you are probably trespassing. The gray areas are usually quite small and can be easily avoided.

I don't know the L, but would I fish there based on what I read here? Probably not, even though it is completely legal. I don't get to fish very often these days, so when I do, I prefer to fish places where there is less risk of added stress on me, or anyone around me caused by my presence. But I support the OPs right to do so. ;-)

wbranch wrote:
troutbert wrote;

I was thinking the same thing about what others are implying.

I didn't think I was "implying" (strongly suggest the truth or existence of something not expressly stated)

I thought my comment was quite clear actually. The OP asked if he "could" fish through the private club water. I wouldn't ever fish through private club water because I "could" based on some archaic navigability law that is 200 years old. But that is just me. I have dozens of miles of uncontested water where I can freely ply my flies without having to resort to wondering about the legalities of where I fish. Is that clearer?

Ryansheehan wrote;

You fish the west branch right? Pretty sure there are a number of land owners who don't want you to fish through "their property". Somehow I feel like that 200 year old declaration of navigability is important to you there right?

Yes, I do fish the WB, EB, and main and yes there a few landowners who have posted there property but they do own the stream bottoms and can preclude me and everyone else from wading/fishing through or drifting and anchoring in with the intent to fish. However there are dozens of other miles of posted water where property owners can only legally preclude one from walking on, or above, the theoretical high water mark. BTW that point is very ambigous at best!

Again it just comes down to a choice that I have made. I choose to enjoy myself with no possibility of creating angst or somehow disturbing others and myself. You guys can choose what ever paths your rationalizations take you.

My point is that archaic 200 year old law is what allows you to fish the high water mark on the Delaware. As far as I can tell there is no difference between that and what he wants to do on the Lehigh.

Two assumptions;1. the stream is navigable and/or open to the public, 2. the private is attempting to privatize the stream by posting their land and/or intimidating non-member.

Given the assumptions, this is the taking of a public good. Akin to building a booth on a public street and collecting tolls. This shouldn't be allowed to continue. A little research in the local law library and a meeting with the county prosecutor is in order.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Two assumptions;1. the stream is navigable and/or open to the public, 2. the private is attempting to privatize the stream by posting their land and/or intimidating non-member.

Given the assumptions, this is the taking of a public good. Akin to building a booth on a public street and collecting tolls. This shouldn't be allowed to continue. A little research in the local law library and a meeting with the county prosecutor is in order.

And I assume you didn't actually read the article. ;-)

Lehigh case was ruled on years ago.

Your assumption is correct, I hadn't read the article. After reading the article, assumption 1., in fact, is a fact. Fish the river and offer a salute to any objection. And, the fisherman should have the backing of any good local conservative prosecutor.

Ashamed and embarrassed.????

The law is not archaic. It has been upheld over the years including in modern times, and very recently in PA on the Lehigh River and the Little Juniata River.

And the law is definitely not uncertain in the case of the Lehigh River! The judge made his decision.

And regarding where you can fish and where not, that is also clear.

You DO have a right of access within the channel.

You DO NOT have a right of access outside the channel. You cannot walk on the floodplain if it is posted.

ryansheehan wrote;

My point is that archaic 200 year old law is what allows you to fish the high water mark on the Delaware. As far as I can tell there is no difference between that and what he wants to do on the Lehigh.

Absolutely and incontrovertibly!

Thanks for all of the responses. My intent/motive is not to be inflammatory but to fish a water or stretch of a water that shouldn’t be off limits bc you don’t have $50k a year to join. And since the Lehigh has been deemed a navigable waterway if I want to wade through and fish it seems I can. Again thanks for all the replies. It’s interesting to see all the different responses and views points.

afishinado wrote:
Every angler is free to fish anywhere on a navigable waterway within the river bed aka high water mark. It's perfectly legal. So again, do as you please.

I got the impression from the OP when he mentioned a "hoity toity private fishing club" that he was fishing there to make a point by trying to stick it to the owners of the property.

I fish for pleasure. I don't take pleasure in doing something to stick it to anyone. For me, getting out fishing relieves stress, not causes more!

It sort of reminds me of the guys on the stream that low-hole and crowd you out by fishing right on top of your line when there's plenty of other places in the stream to fish. You know the type, the guys that tell you "I paid for my license too!" Yes, it's perfectly legal for them to fish there, but is it the right thing to do? It's really up to the individual.

Fish through the middle of their property if you think it's right for you to do so because it's legal. Believe it or not, sometimes if the stream I'm fishing goes right through someones yard or near their house or deck, it's perfectly legal for me to fish right through. But I often choose to work my way around or turn around and not fish there.

A lot of guys think that's just being a dumb dim-wit by not taking full advantage of my legal rights. I will admit, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I sleep well at night and have a great time fishing every time out. I guess that's what really counts.

With all due respect, instead of assuming my motives completely by comparing me to fisherman who crowd people in holes, why don’t you just ask me specifically what my motives are? Here’s my motives, I might have access to a stretch of stream that is not very accessible that borders with a hoity toity fishing club. I actually looked at some maps and would want to actually fish below it. That being said, I would have to pass through the club to get to that stretch. And while I’m passing through I might as well fish it, right?

JustFish, where is this stretch of the Lehigh and where is the club?

JustFish wrote:
afishinado wrote:

With all due respect, instead of assuming my motives completely by comparing me to fisherman who crowd people in holes, why don’t you just ask me specifically what my motives are? Here’s my motives, I might have access to a stretch of stream that is not very accessible that borders with a hoity toity fishing club. I actually looked at some maps and would want to actually fish below it. That being said, I would have to pass through the club to get to that stretch. And while I’m passing through I might as well fish it, right?

Actually, I didn't assume anything. I asked and waited for your response.

In my first post I linked a long thread with a lot of info on the Lehigh River, and also included a link to the actual court case that deemed the Lehigh a navigable river open to passage and use by the public.

If you read the thread, you will begin to realize that some guys care more about making a point than fishing. It all fine and is their right, but I voiced my opinion that I fish to fish and enjoy myself and not to thrust myself into conflict with anyone.

Anyway, good luck on your fishing adventure. Be careful and be respectful to others. Hopefully you will catch a bunch of fish and have a good time.

OK, so now you read it.

Why would you need a prosecutor.

troutbert wrote:
The law is not archaic.

I'm only responding to this part because the rest I agreed with. The above is just opinion which you are entitled to, but others are entitled to think it is archaic.

It's archaic, but I am OK with it being archaic.

I believe it is the same way in all of the original 13 states. Streams once navigable are held in public trust because they were the highways back then. But when was the last time you saw a barge, or a log raft floating down Penns Creek to market?

As we added more states, these laws in the newer states were different. Some might say less archaic.

For example, in Ohio, navigability apparently only applies to actual navigation. I think other states are similar. Land owner can apparently own the land under a navigable stream and can restrict it's use to just navigation.

I vaguely remember a court case on the Grand where a landowner owned both sides of the river. He decided he wanted to keep everyone out. It went to court, and he sort of lost, but not entirely. I believe the ruling was that he couldn't restrict people from floating the river. But he could stop people from fishing. It was awhile back and from memory so I could be wrong. My point is, in many ways PA's navigability laws are archaic ... IMHO of course. I am OK with that and won't try to defend it by saying it isn't.

Playing devils advocate from this point forward...

By ruling that stream beds of navigable rivers are held in public trust, therefore, open to the public for however the see fit... At the same time, not providing a list of navigable streams... That opens up the possibility of a land grab by the state, does it not?

In the LJ case (I think), the land was granted to the Espys (sp) way back before this country was formed by none other than William Penn. Apparently the deed included the stream? I believe the Espies truly believed they owned the stream bed as well. But there was enough evidence to show it was used for commerce back in the day, so Donnie lost the case in spite of what the deed may have said. It was a gray area, and once it went to court, Donnie was gonna lose. Like most of you, I liked the decision for personal reasons.

But lets say I owned both sides of a smaller stream. Clearly not navigable today, and not navigable in the past under "NORMAL" conditions.

Now, lets say I post that land because it was abused all too often by slob anglers. Then some guy comes along and despite the signs, commences to fish it. Lets use the fictitious name, Richard Cranium.

I ask him to leave, and Richard flips me off and decries that he has the right to be there as long as he doesn't leave the channel. Me being a mild mannered giant, instead of getting into a confrontation or stuffing Richard under a rock, I decide to call the authorities to have Richard arrested for trespass. It takes them an hour or so to get there because I live a few miles beyond BFE. Meanwhile the rock idea is sounding more appealing to me.

Anyway, the authorities finally arrive. Richard decides to use his law knowledge obtained from the innertubes to argue with the cops. Then he resists, gets tazed and arrested. He fights the trespass charge, claiming it is navigable. I fight back. During research, it was found that the area was logged 200 years ago, and the stream, with the help of temporary dams was used to float the logs. Isn't that commerce?

But is it normal conditions?

I say it isn't. But me going up against the state? What chances do I have of being successful?

With some streams it is pretty obvious, but with others, it isn't.

JustFish wrote:

With all due respect, instead of assuming my motives completely by comparing me to fisherman who crowd people in holes, why don’t you just ask me specifically what my motives are? Here’s my motives, I might have access to a stretch of stream that is not very accessible that borders with a hoity toity fishing club. [color=FF3300]I actually looked at some maps and would want to actually fish below it.[/color] That being said, I would have to pass through the club to get to that stretch. And while I’m passing through I might as well fish it, right?

If you are interested in fishing below (down river) the club there is very easy access from below. Trying to access from above the club will be difficult due to high cliffs, steep banks, and deep water. Floating through that section of river is easy, but trying to do it on foot while staying in the river will be almost impossible.

Good luck, Tony

Anticipating the private club's reaction to a non-member fishing/trespassing in their stream will be negative and reactionary. A local prosecutor should step in to prevent the taking of a public right and harassment.

Remembering how Virginia commonwealth failed it responsibility to defend the privatization of public access.

Back