Legs on nymphs

odizz17

odizz17

So I've been tying a bunch of smaller (18-20) pheasant tails and some copper johns lately. I was wondering if you guys had more success with or without legs on your nymphs... Ive been adding a soft hackle to the cj's which I like, but I almost like the profile of my pt's without the legs. Also, is it worth the money for partridge over a hen saddle? Bass pro is a little steep on the partridge for half a skin.

Rubber legs? Yes I put rubber legs on my sz 14 caddis larva. I used them in erie fri and had luck with them. In my oppion it is better to use partridge over hen saddle but I do like hen saddle for some soft hackles.

Never done much experimenting without legs on patterns that typically have them - but in general my thoughts are this:

legs = motion
motion = life
life = more strikes

Never even thought about rubber legs... I generally used hackle fibers, soft hackle fibers stripped off the stem, or pheasant tail...

I tied a buch of pheasant tails this weekend and in the smaller sizes just did a collar of peacock ice dub then picked it out. Looks pretty good but need an on stream test. Got the pattern off TCO's youtube channel.

I usually use goose biots or hackle for nymph legs. On size 18 and smaller PT's, I usually skip the legs on them.

Size 18 and smaller, I think using legs is less important. If I were putting legs on something that small, I would strip some fibers off a hen back and tie them in, or just go the soft hackle route.

I agree with Shane on this. Legs on something that small are just likely to add bulk and be counter productive.

+1 no legs on small nymphs, I'd rather have a hot spot collar.

I put legs on sz. 18 and 20 nymphs. Just becuase it looks small to us does not mean it looks small to a fish. Everything is relative here. I use the partridge under feathers for my legs. They are the perfect size for small nymphs.

CLSports wrote:
I put legs on sz. 18 and 20 nymphs. Just becuase it looks small to us does not mean it looks small to a fish. Everything is relative here. I use the partridge under feathers for my legs. They are the perfect size for small nymphs.

Agreed!!

However, I do tie a lot of small nymphs like Frenchies and just use a thread hot spot behind the bead.

I confess I am a leg man. I really love these Troutnut videos. When I watch this one I notice 2 things: http://youtu.be/kB6RmFCmB0E
First, the legs are a prominent feature. Therefore I like to include legs even on the small guys. But I think some picked out dubbing is fine. You justs need something up there that suggests legs. The second thing I notice is the action in the tail end of the fly. I don't think most nymph patterns come close to representing that sort of movement.
A bit off topic, but while I'm pushing Troutnut, this video just makes me laugh: http://youtu.be/h-9Lu9f5tEE

I tie legs on most of my nymphs, a few turns of cree hackle.

Joe E

I belong to the school that advocates putting legs on pretty much all of my nymphs. After all, real nymphs have three on each side if they are all intact.

See below for #20 BWO nymph

Attachments

• DSC_0232.jpg
    DSC_0232.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 4
They just don't get any better than that.

OldLefty wrote:
I belong to the school that advocates putting legs on pretty much all of my nymphs. After all, real nymphs have three on each side if they are all intact.

See below for #20 BWO nymph

Man I love that nymph. What is the wing case?

Shane:

Wing case is goose quill segment.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
They just don't get any better than that.

I don't know Ed I think Dave could off done a little better of a job of finishing the head of the fly :cool:

Don't think so Mr. D.

The head on that nymph looks just about the perfect size, proportionally, to the real critter. The Southpaw is crafty like that.

"I belong to the school that advocates putting legs on pretty much all of my nymphs. After all, real nymphs have three on each side if they are all intact."

Agree. And I don't care what the fish think. If they don't want legs, they don't deserve to be caught by me.

Back