Leaders

Another leader question...How do you straighten your leaders out from the package. I feel safe saying it has caused a few birds nests is places I didn't know they made nests.

Paulson,

Depending on the material, if it's typical leader then you can run your fingers down the length and "warm" it up, they do sell line straightens which I believe are two flaps of leather or some other material that you can run the line through.

Furled leaders don't have this problem, or at least in my limited experience.

I use Maxima chameleon as the butt and front end of the taper. I just pull hard, it stretches, and when it recovers it's straight.

The softer tippet ends of my leaders don't seem to have the memory issues. So that's all I really need to do.

Thanks guys, I had to cut off about 2 feet off a fresh one today trying to quick swap out of my flouro rig.

It seems to be the butt section that gets it the worse.

Paulson,
Are you turning your leaders into a bird's nest trying to unpackage them? If so, try putting a few fingers inside the spool of leader and slowly unwind it from around your fingers.

I personally never uses tippet rings. I just never got into them. But I typically use a 9' or 7.5 5x leader and cut this down to where the diameter is equal to the 2x tippet you have. I use 2-3 ft 2x, 2-3 ft 4x, then 2 ft 5x to the top fly then the droppers depends on situation or technique used. The vary in lengths depend on what type of fishing and rod being used.

I try to re-tie onto the 2x portion with the 4x when the tippet is running low. I only ever have to change my tapered section once every year or slightly before that depending on how my leader gets treated over that time.

has anyone ever had a tippet ring fail ?

and i just use 3ft of 30lb mono nail knotted to the flyline and then triple surgeons knot 6 or 8ft of fluoro tippet for my nymphing and streamer work.

i do have some rio leaders which are good for dry fly work - incidently an orvis guy told me never to buy their leaders as they are too stiff...

geebee wrote:
has anyone ever had a tippet ring fail ?

and i just use 3ft of 30lb mono nail knotted to the flyline and then triple surgeons knot 6 or 8ft of fluoro tippet for my nymphing and streamer work.

i do have some rio leaders which are good for dry fly work - incidently an orvis guy told me never to buy their leaders as they are too stiff...
I have used tippet rings on my hand made leaders for quite some time and have NEVER had a failure due to the tippet ring.

Back