Leader Tying Kits

gfen wrote:
Also, FC is pointless for dry flies, especially for winky little flies. FC sinks. It will bring down your barely-there fly, so, what's the point?
quote]

you have proven in this simple statement that you don't know what you are talking about.
yes, it sinks. so does monofilament. so what?
if you think the tippet material and tippet material alone controls your fly and your presentation, then you have a lot to learn.

-shrug-

Mono has a specific gravity of ~1.05 to ~1.1; FC an SG of ~1.75 to ~1.9.

So, yes, FC is going to sink quicker when it breaks the meniscus.

Since we're talking about 7x tippet, nominally used for winky little flies 20 through 28, I'm pretty sure something with about 70% or more density is going to cause an issue. Furthermore, its less supple, negating the primary need for hair thin fiber and less stretchable, acting as a shock absorber which it needs to be when paired with too-fast fly rod that's sold as what the Pros!!!one use to cast 90' presentations to finicky trouts.

"But they can't see it no good, its refraction is way less than mono!" Yeap. How about the giant steel spike comin' out of the fly's derriere? How do you explain THAT one?

Crutch away, sir. Crutch. Away.

edit: Also, doesn't degrade in light. Maybe the Pros think that's essential when fishin' for big cash prizes, but I like to think that I'm being partially enviromentally responsible while I'm torturing fishes for jollies, and like to hope the junk i leave behind naturally degrades from weather and sun. FC doesn't do that, remember?

moon1284 wrote:
If you are using an ultra light rod (spinning or casting not fly) with a reel with a small spool and small lures, then lighter mono will be thinner in diameter, have less memory (be limper), and cast much better than heaver mono. If you are using a larger rod and larger lures, then lighter line has no advantages. Try casting a 1/16 oz or smaller lure on an ultra light rod with #8 test, then cast the same lure with #2 test, you will see what I mean.

Correct answer.

Does 2# versus 4# really make that much of a difference here? With how I distinctly hate using 7x, I'd think 2# would be a real drain on fun.

gutcutter wrote:

you have proven in this simple statement that you don't know what you are talking about.
yes, it sinks. so does monofilament. so what?
if you think the tippet material and tippet material alone controls your fly and your presentation, then you have a lot to learn.

Actually I think he does know what he is talking about in this rare instance. For all the reasons Gary presented, I believe he is 100% correct on the FC v. mono debate.

gfen wrote:

Does 2# versus 4# really make that much of a difference here? With how I distinctly hate using 7x, I'd think 2# would be a real drain on fun.

Maybe. If the spin fisherman is using a stiff short rod (like a lot of them do) in combo with an ultra light spinner (which few of them do) then ya it could make a difference.

I think the key is getting a nice limp mono. No need to spend tons of dough, just get Trilene XL in 4# and you are good.

Don't look at me, I'm not turning over a new leaf. Although I think I'm going to continue to burning up found spinners when I'm bored rather than give them away.

I wish I still had my Zebco 303 and that white rod it came with.

jdaddy wrote:
Actually I think he does know what he is talking about in this rare instance. For all the reasons Gary presented, I believe he is 100% correct on the FC v. mono debate.

I always know what I'm talking about, you jsut don't grasp the delivery, man. The Enochian Magic of Angling.

gfen wrote:
...So, yes, FC is going to sink quicker when it breaks the meniscus.
"But they can't see it no good, its refraction is way less than mono!" Yeap. How about the giant steel spike comin' out of the fly's derriere? How do you explain THAT one?
Crutch away, sir. Crutch. Away.
well, as expected and as usual, you have proven nothing. the specific gravity of both FC and mono are greater than 1. they both sink. that was my point.
then you start about the other properties that people talk about in the "pro FC" camp.
i said nothing about that. the topic wasn't about that.
i was merely stating that you know nothing about fishing tiny flies with light tippet if you state that the tippet material alone is going to screw up your presentation.
classic.
when you have no clue as to what you are talking about,, you change the conversation to something else.
i never even mentioned that i did use or didn't use the stuff.
just a different opinion countering your "expert" remarks.
now go ahead and shrug and say "meh" and then find something else on which you can be an expert ...

jdaddy wrote:
gfen makes rage.

would you say i'm an expert?

anyways, "meh." good luck with that gutcutter, i've got faith in you. i'm not sure what i'm missing, so ignorance is bliss. sometimes that's ok, too.

Back