Lead, why isn't it banned?

"Plus the heavy metals are so unlike our body that they can be handled by our immune system."

lead is non immunogenic and thus is not recognized by the immune system. Sorry to be pedantic.

The reason why lead shot is not a big problem is what someone wrote above- it comes down to solubility. In streams (other than highly acidic streams) the leaching of toxic forms of lead is minimal.
organic lead (such as in gas and paint) is highly toxic. Inorganic lead (sinkers) is much less so.

Mike wrote:
In late spring when the flows are down I always harvest the split shot and lures from the line in the trees wherever I fish. Much of the time I can rip the line down as well and pack it home in my wader pouch.

I always do this. Fishing line is a real problem. I've seen birds dead on trees that have swallowed a worm and literally hooked themselves. Fishing Iine and tangles are awful for so much. I wish that people cleaned up after themselves better.

Cold bore. That gave me one of the best belly laughs I’ve had in awhile!

That one belongs in the PAFF Hall of Fame!

jifigz wrote:
While we are on the topic of litter, I'll say this, the twin cities is the cleanest major metro area I've ever been in..in fact, Minnesota in general was very clean when I was there. So much different than here in PA...

From the Morning Call:

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/mc-nws-pa-litter-study-20191118-jifxelq7fbbt7plts3eea6eslq-story.html

Back