Late november smallies on the yough

F

Flyty_ryguy

From one of those 60 degree days we had for 2 weeks in late November. Drop shotting a black bucktail double deciever. Palomar knot to deciever, leave 10 inches or so on the tag, bring tag through top of hook eye and out the bottom to a weighted carp fly. Not sure what the fly fishing world actually calls this technique

Haven't been able to pinpoint good-sized smallies in the yough. Do you find they're generally fairly evenly distributed in the likely areas or is a good bit of prospecting required?

There are definitely a ton of small aggressive smallies, but right before sundown, prespawn, or late fall is when the bigger ones are more likely to eat. These fish in this video were decent, the 2nd one was the biggest, while it was thick, just guessing but it was prob 1lb and 15 inches. The yough and some if it's tribs have legitimate 5 pounders, far and few and very hard to catch

Sorry I went on a tangent, that's a good question. I only have a couple years fishing the yough and it's tribs, from my experience I think they are distributed pretty evenly, if fishing at the key times I mention in previous post you can catch good numbers of respectable smallies(2-3 pounders). If your after a 20 inch 5 pounder it will def take some prospecting. If you have a boat or kayak, 4-5 pounders are much more abundant on yough river lake

Sorry I went on a tangent, that's a good question. I only have a couple years fishing the yough and it's tribs, from my experience I think they are distributed pretty evenly, if fishing at the key times I mention in previous post you can catch good numbers of respectable smallies(2-3 pounders). If your after a 20 inch 5 pounder it will def take some prospecting. If you have a boat or kayak, 4-5 pounders are much more abundant on yough river lake
Good to know, thanks. Dedicating a good chunk of time this coming spring/summer to PA smallies, so will definitely give it a go in that area. Was going to go at it with the 4wt, but now I'm leaning toward the 6

Great Video! What part of the Yough is that? I’ve fished the bike trail with no luck. Always wanted to try down by Connelsville.

Also looking for good patterns (surface and sub) and the best time to fish them top water. Thanks in advance.

Back