Late February to Early April Hatch Patterns

To those of us who don’t see Grannoms locally, don’t fret. Across decades of macroinvertebrate sampling in NW, NC, SC, and SE Pa I sampled very few streams where they were present. I chalked this up in part to the Brachycentridae family’s high pollution intollerance value of 1 on a scale of 0-10, with 10 being tolerant and 0 being intolerant. The greatest numbers that I ever saw were in the Ltl J at one particular site (not saying that they are not more widespread there) and in Fishing Ck, Clinton Co in the upper half or less of the stream. The numbers in Fishing Ck paled in comparison to Ltl J. I probably saw a few in a few other streams, but typically did not find any. The point is that I doubt they’re common on a statewide basis.

Grannoms are on Bald Eagle Creek. Spring Creek has good numbers from the mouth up to Bellefonte. Upstream of Bellefonte and up through the canyon, the numbers were sparse in the past but seem to have increased in recent years. Spruce Creek has grannoms.

Some of the big freestone streams in NCPA like Pine Creek and Loyalsock Creek have grannoms.
Thx for that info..didn't realize Pine and Loyal sock had them

Checked another reference. The reference still indicates low pollution tolerance but a range of ratings up to 3. That suggests that as within other families there are various genera and species with different degrees of pollution tolerances. That’s what I suspected for Brachicentrids once a few of you mentioned some waters where they are found that certainly are not pristine. You caused me to dig a bit deeper. Thanks; I learned something. Glad that you folks get to fish such a nice, local early season hatch.

Last edited:
Checked another reference. The reference still indicates low pollution tolerance but a range of ratings up to 3. That suggests that as within other families there are various genera and species with different degrees of pollution tolerances. That’s what I suspected for Brachicentrids once a few of you mentioned some waters where they are found that certainly are not pristine. You caused me to dig a bit deeper. Thanks; I learned something. Glad that you folks get to fish such a nice, local early season hatch.
As I wrote in another post, the numbers in Spring Creek are high from Bellefonte to the mouth, but were low above that. I view that as being caused by better water quality below Bellefonte than above, because of the large influx of spring water in Bellefonte.

From Bellefonte up through the canyon, grannoms were there in the past, but in low numbers, but the numbers appear to be increasing. I attribute that to cleaner effluent from the Benner Spring hatchery from water treatment technology installed there, and also possibly improvements in riparian buffers.

I always thought that grannoms were a more pollution tolerant species, not intolerant. I backed that up with no scientific research or investigation, and that opinion solely stemmed from the streams near me that have near blizzard-like hatches of that caddis.

They are definitely one of the best hatches I have on local waterways. In fact, grannoms, sulphurs, midges and BWO's are the only semi-reliable hatches I may see all year long on my local stream that is not part of the "Big 4" and definitely not still part of that recently expanded "Big 5," either.

Reactions: GHM
Grannoms are on Bald Eagle Creek. Spring Creek has good numbers from the mouth up to Bellefonte. Upstream of Bellefonte and up through the canyon, the numbers were sparse in the past but seem to have increased in recent years. Spruce Creek has grannoms.

Some of the big freestone streams in NCPA like Pine Creek and Loyalsock Creek have grannoms.
Might you recommenced a pattern or 2? Even if I don't come across the hatch it never hurts to have a few just in case.

Might you recommenced a pattern or 2? Even if I don't come across the hatch it never hurts to have a few just in case.
See this thread that is fresh.

Reactions: GHM
See this thread that is fresh.

I guess I missed that one, thanks.

Back