Last Time You Saw a PFBC WCO?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Does anyone run into these guy's regularly? Another thread made me think about it.
I don't think I've seen one in about 7 years, which is sort of disappointing. It's been even longer since one disturbed me to check my license. Maybe they're just sneaky and checking with binoculars? I'm not doing anything wrong, so checking me is little more than a minor inconvenience. I'd bet if they were out there more, they could find all kinds of people doing bad things.

Last year, Hays Creek, a WCO asked my brother & I to show our licenses. Threy are out there, just spread thin.

Last time I had my license checked was in around the time I turned 16 in 1973.

I saw a WCO 2 or 3 times this year along Spring Creek.

Last Sunday -Yough river - I was riding the bike trail and they were driving on it - binoculars out looking at all the kayakers/floaters.

They definitely focus the majority of their time on kayakers, boaters, etc. I feel they spend a lot more time on lakes and bigger rivers. I’m sure the fines are a lot higher for boating issues rather than minor fishing issues.

They definitely focus the majority of their time on kayakers, boaters, etc. I feel they spend a lot more time on lakes and bigger rivers. I’m sure the fines are a lot higher for boating issues rather than minor fishing issues.
I'm also a whitewater kayaker. I spend most of my time kayaking in state parks but venture out now and then. I see DCNR rangers in the parks everytime I boat.

They definitely patrol special regs areas more frequently especially early spring where anglers concentrate. As someone mentioned, your getting glassed before they approach most times. I got checked numerous times- Allegheny, Pine creek,lakes. I got checked about a week ago on Maine. Just handed the officer my phone with copy of license.

Last time I saw a WCO was last year, but it was driving along a stream, not fishing/not checked. The last time I was checked was in Erie in about 1995. I've been checked once in MD already this year and about 4 times last year in MD.

A WCO is a rare find these days. I know for several years Clinton County didn't have one. I'll usually see the new WCO once a year. They are spread so thin though that its pathetic. We can have all the rules and regulations you want but if there is no one there to enforce them then its pointless. There is a very large percentage of anglers who do whatever they want on the water because there is no one there to stop them. You see the same with hunting. Its one of the major downfalls of this state...one or two uncaring uneducated outdoorsmen ruin it for all of us.

I've seen a few, however I have never been asked to see my license except once by a Wildlife Conservation Officer when I was fishing a pond in a float tube and that includes being stopped in other states as well.

A couple of times after conversations when I have asked a WCO why they didn't ask me to see my license (before the license buttons, I never displayed, even when it was a requirement); they told me that someone who looked like me with all of the kit never is the type to NOT buy a license...

...and they are right!! ;)

I do a lot of fishing on unstocked forested freestone streams, and have been since about 1970.

In all those years, I was checked on that type of stream only once. It was in NCPA. I'm not sure of the county, but I think either Clearfield or Elk.

That WCO said he made a habit of checking fishermen on such streams. He looks for their vehicles, then walks in.

I think they are there and you are not noticing them. I have seen plain clothes officers on some of the more popular streams. Cop hair cut , cop sun glasses , beaded chain .......... Same as a concert parking lot just add a band tshirt that makes no sense - like Scorpions shirt and a Grateful Dead Concert. I have also noticed them in the woods checking out people in Eire.

Last sighting? I saw them in 2 different places in 2019.

One was on a footpath on Kettle about a 1/2 mile from the nearest parking area in June 2019. He did check my license. Saw the other on the Little Lehigh in July 2019 in the parking lot. Just casual conversation. Did not check me.

Anyone who helps with stocking will see them regularly. That might be something that hinders them from being on the creek more.

As Bruno mentioned I have also seen them over 4+ years ago blending into the cover and sometimes using binoculars.

Two weeks ago in Potter Co

I got checked by a WCO on Bald Eagle earlier in the season. Older gentleman, one of the nicest, most personable guys ever.

I see fish and game from NJ and PA, NJ state police marine unit or the coast guard routinely. They just wave to me as they have their hands full dealing with the massive amounts of jet Skiers on the river. now that Pa bought their guys jet boats I’m seeing them in the skinny river more and more as well. I’m assuming they just don’t have time to go check out every tiny flow in the state.

Are WCOs and other law enforcement officers required to identify themselves as such when they come up and start talking to you?

In the ANF a buddy and I were at a parking area near the stream and some guy came up and started talking fishing, and we talked for probably 10 minutes, then he said he was a WCO.

Another time a buddy and I were in a SGL parking lot eating our sandwiches before fishing a stream there. Some guy drives over, and starts asking a lot of questions like whether we were going fishing, where we were from etc. From his haircut, body language and way of speaking, he seemed like a LEO. But his car was unmarked and he was not in uniform, and he never said that he was a LEO. I wonder if he was an actual LEO or just a regular person imitating a LEO.

In 40+ years of fishing, I have yet to even see a warden, let alone get checked by one.
That has to be the record. I last saw one in 1987. He did not check me for a license, more of an amiable chat. Left the state in 2013. Before 1987, never encountered a warden in PA. Bought my first license in 1964.

However. After moving to Oregon, I had the inclination one year to fish the Deschutes on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. I dutifully stopped at the border to pick up a tribal license and then made a 15 minute drive to the river's edge. I don't think I had my waders all the way on when an enforcement officer from the tribe showed up and asked to see my license. That has to be a record, of sorts. He was pleasant about it and we had a nice chat. Turns out he did a stint in the Navy at the Baltimore Harbor.

I did get ticketed once by a game warden for camping in state gamelands in Pike County. He pointed to a sign across the opening and asked me if I had read it. Of course not. Why cause yourself more trouble? There were about 20 prohibitions listed on the poster. Number 1 was "No camping in state gamelands."

Back