Larva flies

Nice ties, and name.

I need to use more dubbing on my larva patterns instead of peacock but im always a fan of the if it aint broke dont fix it but those look awesome wet.

Becker,

Can you tie that in all red, with red bead also. A few guys in chester county are slamming them on my all red killer. Been getting pictures sent of the DHALO and fly project stockies left and right. Not sure if there are blood worms out there or what but the all red is working.

I never go to try the all red version yet. He said 2 suckers ate them as well. Weird. I typically only get rainbows on that pattern. Just got apicture of really nice brown on it as well.

fresh stocked fish will hit just about anything. I would not get too excited.

I only got excited because the guy who was fishing with the other guy just fished the section above the one with the all red fly and didn't have a hit and the guy with the all red fly caugth a ton. The other guy came back down and still didn't get a hit drifting right along side him.

Size 14 chartreuse underbody

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1363909508767.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1363909508767.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 4
mike_richardson wrote:
Becker,

Can you tie that in all red, with red bead also. A few guys in chester county are slamming them on my all red killer. Been getting pictures sent of the DHALO and fly project stockies left and right. Not sure if there are blood worms out there or what but the all red is working.

I never go to try the all red version yet. He said 2 suckers ate them as well. Weird. I typically only get rainbows on that pattern. Just got apicture of really nice brown on it as well.

"red thread" flies like a red Zebra midge are commonly used, and they do catch fish. There is a larva that they immitate, look it up on the web. Tie them very thin, on caddis hooks. Sometimes I use thread (ribbed, then coated with head cement). I also use red Spanflex - great material to tie with, and durable as it has fibers running through it lengthwise.

BTW, the red larva is a midge larva and I believe the red color is due to hemaglobin. They are present in numbers in one of the streams I fish regularly.

These guys also have a fair amount of red-ish orange in the body and a red head:
Chimarra caddis

green caddis/green rockworms

Painted lead wire & dubbing
waef2.jpg

waef1.jpg

stretchmagiclarva.jpg

rockworm2.jpg

greencaddisemerger.jpg

braceletcaddis.jpg

beadedcaddis.jpg

rockworm3.jpg

caddisexperiment.jpg