Lanyard for fishing

Might be good on a really hot day at a farm pond but other than that...no thanks

I have been using this for 25 years. A small fly box with an attached necklace. I put some weights, indicators, and flies inside. I thread the necklace through tippet (they spin easily). A zinger with nipper and hemostat is attached. I throw floatant in pocket and a leader in my back pocket.

It does bounce when walking. I don’t get tangled. I normally wear it around my neck and put the fly box in top pocket of shirt to prevent bouncing.

I do have a Down River chest I use often as well. I use the
“Landyard” for shorter trips and/or known water when I know what is hatching. I carry as little as possible.
A977B777 3300 4CB7 952E 3F3AA8DDC459

I wore a lanyard for about 8 years in the 90s and now I've been wearing one again for about the past 4 years. Never in all of that time have I once had a tangle. Hundreds and hundreds of uses and not once. Not sure where the idea is coming from that they tangle.
Tangled within heavy stream-side brush - perhaps snagging would have been a better term. I still use a tippet lanyard and it occasionally “snags”.

I like lanyards so much that I bought another one for my friend when he visits to fish with me in the Poconos. He is driving all the way from Richmond, VA so I make this as easy as possible for him. Since I fish the same place most of the time, I want him to catch trout.

I know that I am not a guide, but I do have a long handle net for when he hooks a trout.

That is one of the many reasons that I have a 4 Rod Rod Vault. He likes to fish woolybuggers, but if they aren't working, I'll give him another fly rod pre-rigged with soft hackles, or maybe a euro nymph fly rod.

Later in the year, I have a dry/dropper fly rod ready to go. No need to wear a loaded vest, sling pack, chest pack, etc. I can park within a short walk and have a roll-a-table that I bought from Northwest River Supplies many years ago. I never thought that I might snag my lanyards since I have such a short walk from where I park to where I fish.

I totally understand other angler's needs when they have to do some serious walking from where they park to where they start fishing.

I can fit everything I need in two Orvis Carry-It-All cases and leave them on the roll-a-table streamside.

Like Beweav said, here is another alternative. It's a small chest pack that I attach to my wader buckles using square carabiners. It may look small in the pictures, but it holds 2 small fulling mill slim boxes, 1 large fulling mill slim box and a MFC streamer box, as well as floatant and a pack of leaders with room to spare. It also has a small pouch on the front where I keep my license. Below the pouch there is a small loop where I connected a tippet holder that freely hangs below the pack. As well as two slots on both sides that hold my scissors, hemostats and pocket knife. It also has a magnetic band at the very top which is great for quickly switching out flies/keeping flies accessible. I really like the band for tying dry droppers where I can rest the dry while I connect it to my dropper. I agree with the minimalistic approach, this thing carries everything I need for a day on the water.

A lot of guys complained about their lanyard bouncing around or tangling while walking. A simple solution is to attach a clip on the bottom of your lanyard and clip it to your shirt,

A lot of guys complained about their lanyard bouncing around or tangling while walking. A simple solution is to attach a clip on the bottom of your lanyard and clip it to your shirt,

View attachment 1641228908
I normally wear a waterproof backpack full of snacks, rain gear, water, dynamite, etc.. The Simms pack has a chest strap that goes over the lanyard to stop it from bouncing all over the place.

Though, to be honest, it doesn't really need to be clipped down. It doesn't bounce around because there is weight (tippet spools, forceps, nippers, boat anchors, etc.) hanging off it. When hiking, the lanyard is in the pack along with the baby squirrels and nighcrawlers, so it doesn't get caught on every tree branch on the way in. Though again, I never seem to have any trouble with it snagging things. Not as much as a net does anyway because its on your chest, and unless you bulldoze mountain laurel chest first, I'm not sure I see how that could be an issue.

I never experienced any of these issues people are talking about. Maybe I just walk like an Irish line dancer and never noticed it.

I made a lanyard about 15 years ago from paracord, wood beads, and XL snaps. I hang nippers, a hook hone, a Dry fly drying patch, and any other small (annoying to find) tools I regularly use. I can hang my hemostats from the cord. I tuck it inside my button-down shirt when not in use to keep it from flopping around and prevent snagging on things. If it happens to get caught on brush or twigs (which hasn't happened yet), I have a quick-release closure that takes about a pound of force to open. Whether I'm wading or floating, the lanyard goes with me.

"In the jingle jangle morning I’ll come followin’ you"

Was that written about lanyards?

"In the jingle jangle morning I’ll come followin’ you"

Was that written about lanyards?
Yes....if you hang a tambourine from one. ;)

I use a lanyard for the majority of my fishing. I made a lanyard about 8 years ago and love it. It holds everything I need for a day’s fishing. There is a slight adjustment with fly line management, as the line occasionally will get caught in the lanyard, but it not an issue if I manage my line properly. The only time I switch to a him pack or sling pack is when I want to carry several fly boxes or more gear. For most occasions however, the lanyard hold more flies and all the tools I need.

Attachments

• 43F82E39-D6A2-4802-9E32-3E7E24A14678.jpeg
    43F82E39-D6A2-4802-9E32-3E7E24A14678.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 49
  • C70AE940-0F4D-4B42-844E-A775FAEF1674.jpeg
    C70AE940-0F4D-4B42-844E-A775FAEF1674.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 40
I’ve never mastered the art of packing light. I admire you and your confidence.

This is my question as well. What is you alls preferred way to carry a net?
Handle down from back of vest or sling bag. Out of my way until I need it and it is quickly in my hand. Downside is some time having difficulty getting back into place.

Back