Lanyard for fishing

caddisflyer

caddisflyer

I was looking at the fly fishing lanyards and it seems like kind of a good option for carrying nippers, hemostats etc. You can even attach a small fly box , which I probably would not do. Was thinking of ditching the vest and carrying a few small boxes in my shirt and waders and going with the lanyard. Has anyone here gone that route?
I see more and more guys carrying giant backpacks and huge nets and even two , and once three, rods. I want to go the opposite direction. Less stuff.

Easy to make one out of paracord. Several YuTube videos on how to make one. Hip pack and lanyard and you're ready to go!

I bought a lanyard and gave it away. I couldn’t get used to it. Can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Okay Boomer !

I know this isn’t a lanyard, I share your feelings for not wanting to carry a lot of gear. This has been my solution. It can be worn a bunch of different ways and it has been easy to keep out of the way. It holds everything I need, and has places to hook my nippers, tippet etc. I don’t love the quality and I’m sure it will break eventually at which point I might try to find the same thing from a higher quality brand. But for now, for 21 bucks, it’ll work.
349A56C3 DD11 42CA B6D9 8E6C80F35A7C

I have an Orvis lanyard that I fish with and like but also wear a vest with nothing in it or very little. What I don't like about the lanyard is my net is a little bit too heavy for it. The empty vest is better for the net. I sent the vest to Insect Shield Clothing to have it treated along with the other clothes that I wear when fishing.

I haven't had any ticks on me or mosquito bites with the Insect Shield treatment. The vest is also better for displaying my fishing license and button.

I used a lanyard back in the early 90s and then at some point got away from it. Then a few years ago I picked up a Western Visions lanyard and now I can't live without it. For quick trips, a fly box in the shirt pocket and the lanyard are all you need. Also great out of a boat for the same reason. Box in the shirt pocket or wader pocket and the lanyard are all you need if you're wading away from the boat. My buddy cut up those daily pill box organizers into 3 compartment little fly boxes w/ some adhesive backed magnet tape in the bottom and we strung em off the lanyards. Great way to throw a few of what's working in when you're away from the boat.

I ditched my vest back in the 1990's and have been wearing some kind of belt with a few removable pouches on it to carry my gear combined with a fishing shirt ever since.

The idea behind removable pouches is I can add or subtract stuff I don't need to carry all the time like rain gear, a net or other kit.

As far as lanyards go, to me they look like a tangle waiting to happen...

Made one from the paracord cord and stops on an old rain jacket. I left a tag at the end with a cord stop to put on tippet spools. As Bam says there are the occasional tangles. But overall I would not be without it. Tippet, nippers and forceps go on it. If it gets in my way I tuck it inside the top of my waders.

Whats point of lanyard.......sling pak, 2-3 slim box s read the hatch and fish.....lol
ive humped heavy rucksacks in military “ screw all the slings, cords and necklace stuff its fishing lmao.....few boxes and rod ... 😂

Whats point of lanyard.......sling pak, 2-3 slim box s read the hatch and fish.....lol
ive humped heavy rucksacks in military “ screw all the slings, cords and necklace stuff its fishing lmao.....few boxes and rod ... 😂
Convenience. It helps a ton when you have to retie entire rigs 30 times a day. Can't be fumbling through bags looking for tools while the guy is standing there watching you.

Like I said, with a boat, I'm not carrying a bunch of bags and crap when I'm wading 50 yards from the boat, and I don't want to walk 50yds back and forth to the boat. Throw a fly box in the shirt pocket and go.

Too much flipping and flopping as well as tangles for my liking - particularly while hiking .

Too much flipping and flopping as well as tangles for my liking - particularly while hiking .
I wore a lanyard for about 8 years in the 90s and now I've been wearing one again for about the past 4 years. Never in all of that time have I once had a tangle. Hundreds and hundreds of uses and not once. Not sure where the idea is coming from that they tangle.

For me it’s situational.
My go to is always a very simple lanyard (badge type) with my nippers attached to the snap. I pin a piece of small sheepskin fly patch on one side, forceps attached on the opposite, this all tucks nicely out of the way inside my shirt. I carry 1 or 2 fly boxes in my shirt pocket along with a spool or 2 of tippet.

If I’m hiking in or plan to cover a lot of water, I’ll carry a small backpack too.

I have yet to find a way to comfortably and convenient carry a net.

This is my question as well. What is you alls preferred way to carry a net?

The few times I carry a net it's a folding net of some variety so I don't have a net carrying issue however...

If I was inclined to carry a traditional wood frame net I'd be using one of the net holsters out there like the one made by Smith Creek or Fish Pond.

Last edited:
This is my question as well. What is you alls preferred way to carry a net?
The Western Visions lanyards I posted earlier have a net clip on the back of the neck padding. Ok for a small net. I usually have the net hoop side up w/ the handle down through my wading belt on my back.

The few times I carry a net it's a folding net of some variey so I don't have a net carrying issue however...

If I was inclined to carry a traditional wood frame net I'd be suing one of the net holsters out there like the one made by Smith Creek or Fish Pond.
If I were to use a net, which I don't, I'd go with that Fish Pond holster. Looks like it'd be easier out/in than the Smith Creek holster. I try to only carry things that I actually "need".

I have yet to have a situation where I said "if I only had a net".

I've used a lanyard off and on, going back years, and I can't remember a single tangle, either. I am not sure what you call them, but I attach a small clip to the lanyard that I then clip to my shirt to keep the lanyard from flopping forward. It's a small spring clip attached to a plastic loop that is closed with sort of a snap button. They're also used to clip ID badges onto a pocket.

Edited: This is what I wrap onto the lanyard and then clip to my shirt:

Badge Clips

FWIW, I have a second lanyard that I use for ice fishing. Along with typical tools like nippers and hemos, I also add my lead depth finder and small UV light for charging glow lures. Works great.

Back