Lancaster Fly Show

C

combatgrunt84

Anyone been to this it’s the first week of march anyone sell materials for a good price?

I went for the first time last year. Some folks had good prices others not so much. Overall I'll go again.

I've been there a couple times. They have a little bit( or more) of everything. You have to know prices, there are some good ones. You're close enough and should go at least one time. Check the website closer to the show to see what will be there; lots of talks and seminars too.

I've never been to Lancaster. I've been to the Show in NJ numerous times. Not really any big bargains but a way to see what's new, visit some friends and acquaintances and a chance to get out of the house.

Sometimes, there’s a somewhat impromptu PAFF breakfast meet up at a local diner before the Lancaster show. Not sure it’s happened in the last few years since Covid, but it was always a fun time. Any word on picking that back up? A couple times I just went for breakfast and skipped the show.

Not really any smoking hot deals but it is a great way to eyeball materials etc and meet reps for whatever product catch your eyes. I can see a Tarpon stick in my future, there will be some there to cast.

Sometimes, there’s a somewhat impromptu PAFF breakfast meet up at a local diner before the Lancaster show. Not sure it’s happened in the last few years since Covid, but it was always a fun time. Any word on picking that back up? A couple times I just went for breakfast and skipped the show.
I’d be into meeting up for breakfast somewhere. I’m not certain of whether the Neptune Diner is still an option or not. I’ll probably go to the show just to see some friends that are hooked up with some of the exhibitors. Let me know, Swattie, maybe we can pull something together for breakfast.

I went last year. I don’t recall a ton of deals, but I enjoyed watching Tim Flagler tie and answer questions. It was quite crowded last year making it difficult to really see everything. But worth the time if you have a free day.

I’d be into meeting up for breakfast somewhere. I’m not certain of whether the Neptune Diner is still an option or not. I’ll probably go to the show just to see some friends that are hooked up with some of the exhibitors. Let me know, Swattie, maybe we can pull something together for breakfast.

If there’s enough interest, sure. I imagine we’ll get some more discussion on it as the date gets closer.

When I once worked at the Lancaster show as part of a 3 man team representing the PFBC (I’m now retired) I was not impressed by interactions with anglers since there weren’t many, unlike some more generalized outdoor shows. This was interesting to me since fly anglers, more than other groups, tend to have a lot of issues surrounding their sport and enjoyment that, as evidenced here, they at times claim they would like to take up with the Commission. This didn’t materialize when out in the public, however, which was disappointing because I always enjoyed the +&- interactions with anglers at shows. Standing around watching the crowd go by with no opportunities to have discussions or answer either hardball or softball questions was pretty boring and made me feel as though I was wasting time = angler license dollars.

Last edited:
When I once worked at the Lancaster show as part of a 3 man team representing the PFBC (I’m now retired) I was not impressed by interactions with anglers since there weren’t many, unlike some more generalized outdoor shows. This was interesting to me since fly anglers, more than other groups, tend to have a lot of issues surrounding their sport and enjoyment that, as evidenced here, they at times claim they would like to take up with the Commission. This didn’t materialize when out in the public, however, which was disappointing because I always enjoyed the +&- interactions with anglers at shows. Standing around watching the crowd go by with no opportunities to have discussions or answer either hardball or softball questions was pretty boring and made me feel as though I was wasting time = angler license dollars.
On the flip side...I have tried to engage Fish Comm at two different outdoor shows in the past. I often was asking questions specifically about Musky stocking, fishing, reproduction etc. I got short answers and got the feeling conversation about Musky wasn't what they were there for. It honestly kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyone been to this it’s the first week of march anyone sell materials for a good price?
Dear combatgrunt,

I've been to it once and it was OK mostly because I got to see some people I hadn't seen in a long time. There was some interesting gear and displays but I'm pretty much at the point where I need nothing anymore.

If you do plan to shop, bring cash and go on Sunday. My friends who exhibit at the shows don't like to pack everything back up and make a long drive home. Offering cash can help you get a better deal many times.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've been to the show 3 times in the past. There are some great deals if you look around, but mostly things are not a good deal. I actually thought about going this year and inviting my brother in law since I took him fly fishing last year and started teaching him some things. He already lives in Chester Co, so it'd be easy for him to attend.

If there is any chance of a semi organized breakfast and those in attending wouldn't be opposed, I'd probably be up for that.

Was anyone at the show maybe 6 years ago when Lefty Kreh whipped that guy in the face at the casting pool? Now that was pretty funny.

I can remember the year that Lefty cast the length of the casting pool using only the fly rod tip section. I was amazed to say the least.

My best memory was from 2 years ago and getting my picture with Joe H. While a student at PSU, I was fortunate enough to actually have Joe's class. Casting in REC Hall and classes in the Skellar when it rained! Those were the days!!!!

I don't bother with fly fishing shows any more because I hate crowds, I'm really not interested in presentations or celebrities, I never find anything I want or need and when you factor in the admission fee, there aren't any deals except on closeouts or discontinued items.

That being said I liked the bar... ;)

A couple of things if you go:
It's least crowded when the doors open and around 3pm​
If you go, make a list of what you are after WITH the best price you can find for comparison's sake​
Have fun!!!

i may go, since i have never been to one. it is a 3 hour drive, but a close friend lives near by, i can crash at his place.

It’s a small show as far as fly fishing shows go. I enjoyed it much more pre-COVID, as every both seemed to be filled. Now it’s just vendors filling “mega booths” and many of the little guys are gone. As far as “deals” go, yeah, you’re likely not come across any true deals. As someone else mentioned, when you factor in parking, admission, food, etc., you’re probably back to breaking even. It’s a fun local show to visit and if you’ve never been before, I’d say got at least once. As the economy has changed, so have shows. Not to wax nostalgic, but they just ain’t what they used to be!

It is a good time in the middle of winter. There are some deals. I see people I know of which some are reps and others in the industry. We usually hit a good restaurant on the way home. 5 years ago I bought a Watermaster for 20% off and no tax. Point of sale MT. Great raft.

Back