Lamson Guru or G Loomis Eastfork?

zenherper

zenherper

I am considering purchasing either a Lamson Guru 1.5 or a G Loomis Eastfork 5/6. Does anybody have a recommendation on either, and why? This will likely go on a Scott A3 9' 5wt. The price is relatively the same, so other features will determine which I choose. I like the large/wider arbor of the Guru, but prefer the look of the G Loomis. Any thoughts?

I never owned either reels you mention, but I do own a Lamson Konic and comparing the Lamson with an Orvis mid-Arbor and Battenkill barstock - I would have no issues buying a Lamson reel again.

The Guru looks like a reel nice reel for the money, sealed drag and all.

IMO you would have a hard time finding a better reel than the Guru for the money.

Guru, another reel worth looking into is the Lamson Konic. Hard to beat it for the money.

Zen I have no experience with the Loomis but I know they don't usually make junk.

As far as the Guru goes I own a 3.0 and really like the reel. Doesn't have the hard alox finish like some of the more expensive models but it's still type 2 anodized which is as good as most other reels you'll buy.

As far as it's operation, it's extremely smooth with good drag knob adjustments. I've landed steelhead, alaskan bows and sockeye on that reel without a hiccup. It is hard to beat for the price.

The konic has the same drag without being fully machined. I prefer bar stock reels thus why I went with the Guru.

Good luck.

Guru but 2.0 not 1.5.

/thread

^^ This

jdaddy wrote:
Guru but 2.0 not 1.5.

/thread

Ok, is this link broken, or am I missing something?

Why would I want the 2.0 instead of the 1.5? I would like to be able to use this on a 4 wt. sometimes with an additional spool as well. Would the 2.0 be too large for that?

zenherper wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
Guru but 2.0 not 1.5.

/thread

Ok, is this link broken, or am I missing something?

Why would I want the 2.0 instead of the 1.5? I would like to be able to use this on a 4 wt. sometimes with an additional spool as well. Would the 2.0 be too large for that?

/thread is not a link rather its a tech way of saying end of thread. It also has a bit of superiority smartass in it which I was certainly being.

I know a guy that has a like new Loomis 5/6 for sell if you want his info but guess what he replaced it with? ;)

5 wt line with backing will be stuffed on a 1.5. I have a 1.5 Litespeed with 4 wt and it is close fit. It also balances a Winston BIIIx perfectly but keep in mind this is an incredibly light weight rod. It would be way too light and unbalanced on the average 3-4 oz 5wt rod. The Guru is not much heavier. Guru 2.0 on average 4 wt 9' rod should be perfect. With 1.5 you are likely too small and too light.

Or

Guru 2.0 /thread

Is it too late to just suggest Medalist? Coz you know that's how I roll.

Or, an Ocean City. You'd like the #35, it comes with a switch to make it silent action, no palming rim though.

Anyways, for the OP, can you find a shop that has both and then hang both off the assend of that rod? You might be surprised at what it takes to balance.

Also, the Cabela's WLX is just a rebadged Lamson something. Think about it.

On the Feathercraft website they say that the guru is made in the U.S., so I bought the 4.0 for my Access switch rod but it didn't fit in the reel seat. Witch realy sucks cause I realy like this reel, I ended up going with the Hydrose instead

dann wrote:
it didn't fit in the reel seat. Witch realy sucks cause I realy like this reel, I ended up going with the Hydrose instead

File it down.

The Loomis is easier on the eyes but I'd also say the Guru.

thread
thread

yea I thought about taking the foot off and milling it into shape but then I would void the warrenty . The bonus of buying a complete outfit from the Evening Rise was they gave me my switch line and backing for free, almost a 100$ value. And the Hydros is a really nice reel for 250.00$

Dan

OK, the GURU it is. Now I was planning on putting it on a Scott A3, and somebody told me to consider an Orvis Access. Any thoughts on the rods? Again, the price is comparable.

Toss up. Either one would rock. Orvis warranty, ease of warranty warranty and cost of repairs gives Orvis the nod IMO.

jdaddy wrote:
Toss up. Either one would rock. Orvis warranty, ease of warranty warranty and cost of repairs gives Orvis the nod IMO.

Thanks. I knew you be able to guide me. ;-)

I think I like the look of the Orvis a little better. I am leaning towards this one, but I just read in another thread that somebody has the Orvis access and the Guru didn't fit in the reel seat. This seems odd with all of the standardizations with the reel foot/seat, so I think I have to go to a shop to check this out.

zenherper wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Thanks. I knew you be able to guide me. ;-)

I think I like the look of the Orvis a little better. I am leaning towards this one, but I just read in another thread that somebody has the Orvis access and the Guru didn't fit in the reel seat. This seems odd with all of the standardizations with the reel foot/seat, so I think I have to go to a shop to check this out.

Ya but in that thread I think he was saying something about spey rods or something like that. I can't fathom a guru not fitting on an Access. Check with Afishinado . . . he works at the VF Orvis store.

Go to www.flyshopcloseouts.com
They have Lamson Radius 1.5 Mid Arbor 1.5 for $ 101.40 .

yeha this was on a Access 11.8.4 switch rod I,m not sure if they use they same seat on the single hand or not, but I tried every witch way to get that reel to fit. Only about a 32nd of an inch would fit into the seat. I was thinking of modifying it but I would lose the warrenty. My 3.5 Konic did not fit as well.

Back