Lackawanna

I will be making the trip Friday for a few hours. Should be a nice day but a little on the cool side.

Big-Bass, what would your go-to fly be this time of year? I have only fished the Lackawanna in the fall with big streamers and the bug life seems to be lacking.

Bug life: Stoneflies, caddisflies, midges, BWO, Sulphur and a few other mayflies. If the clarity is good, you may want to favor caddis and midge larvae.

You could fish any of these or streamers (buggers, slumpbusters, clousers) and get fish, but get your flies near the bottom! That's often the challenge with the variations in depth.

The water level is coming down and should be fairly clear, but cold nights and 30-40% chance of snow Friday AM will not help the water temps.

Best of luck! I hope you post a good report.

Walt's worms are the only fly you need there for your sub surface fishing

Simple flies are often the best choice on the river. Zebra midges or any small PT or Prince work well. Smaller streamers now would be okay and you could throw some Griffiths Gnats if fish are rising at this point in the year. Keeping it simple seems to work for me.

In my experience, big fish on the lack will rise. I like when there is a noticeable hatch for that game.
Small nymphs take the most fish but large heavy streamers are all or nothing. I've had days of zero fish and others of 20 with nothing under 16.

God love those days.

Thanks for the info guys. Heading out in about an hour, hopefully they are on the feed.

Was out from 11 to 4 today. I didn't take a water temperature but it was pretty cold. Nymphed most the day but didn't get any takes, the water looked perfect and I was surprised to have such a slow day.

Before I left I ran a streamer through a few deep holes with a sinking leader and no takes on that either. The trout just weren't hungry today for me.

Im looking forward to the warmer weather this coming week. I may try to get out and enjoy it.

What section did you try?

Behind the Giant Shopping Center.

I may try the same spots on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon and see if the warm weather cures their lock jaw.

We were out on 3/26 in the Archbald section of the Heritage Trail. We had 4 fisherman and none caught anything, or had any takes for that matter. It was my first time on the river... if I didn't know better, I would have thought it had no fish.

Lackawanna Lock Jaw strikes again

They are there but weather conditions aren't the most conducive to great fishing with the cold nights and windy days.

Hopefully the rain stirs them up Friday and gets them on the move for Saturday. I am coming rain, wind or snow lol

mr7183: "It was my first time on the river... if I didn't know better, I would have thought it had no fish."

That was the same experience I had the first few times fishing the river. It can be fickle and the fish move.

Also, on any given day it seems some sections have active fish while others do not.

Right now, grey/black caddis and Baetis are hatching. I have not seen many risers, but the trout are taking the larvae/nymphs. They key for me is to get the flies near the bottom. The river changes depth and velocity often, so constant adjustments are necessary.

Keep at it! It will be worth your effort.

Back