lackawanna conditions and tips

Woody did catch a few fish below the spill zone (i think before he realized that it was there). But with that said, this kind of thing may take a while to show its real underlying damages. i know the guys at the Lackawanna Valley TU will do everything in their power to make sure it gets back into shape. Those guys are on top of their game. fingers crossed that it doesnt take much.

Don't let this take an anti Italian slant. :-D.

The family business is above board.

River is taking a beating recently. Mine fires, and a plant caught on fire that they hosed down with some toxic sludge right next to the river. And then this.

http://wnep.com/2014/04/04/dep-coal-refuse-fire-may-take-months-to-put-out/

Look at the comments in this article on the fire. One commenter states the same people owned that property as this oil spill property. 3 million dollars to put out the fire, THEN a grant for if it goes over that amount.

http://wnep.com/2014/07/14/source-of-lackawanna-river-oil-slick-identified/

“The original source was here so it grabbed it and took it all the way down the shore line,” said Bernie McGurl, director of the Lackawanna River Corridor Association, who watched the cleanup closely.

He says the spill will likely have only a minor effect on the wildlife there. He hopes the spill will lead the DEP to keep a closer eye on the spill’s source."

Bye, bye credibility.

This river should be a TU experiment. It can be protected, but it is getting death by a thousand cuts. I think it was on the 100 best trout streams/rivers in America list of something. Who knows how much weight that carries, but because it is centrally running through a city and can easily expose thousands of people to world class fishing(you can catch world class fish there), it should have much better protections.

There is also a landfill that is being expanded on a mountain that drains into the river in the area that it becomes deeper and holds larger fish than upriver in general.

Beastbrown, why do you say bye-bye credibility? The reports I've been following on it I believe have stated the amount the impact is thankfully expected to be small and not long-lasting. The more concerning thing us the potential for a more serious spill on this property and others if these legacy issues aren't addressed and cleaned up and he's right to point that out and urge DEP cleanup action there.

Where did you get that the plant fire was hosed down with some toxic sludge? It wasn't but what was found oozing out of the plant during the fire was some weird purple substance. The river has several good organizations of volunteers concerned with its protection and continued restoration. These people work hard and do good work promoting and protecting the river and trying to teach more locals to care about this resource.

"The family business is above board." Ha, that's a good one Krayfish.

As bad as the situation is, the abnormally high flows may have prevented serious damage. I know the oil has to end up somewhere where it will do harm but the trout might have gotten a free pass on this one.

Back