lackawanna conditions and tips

marcq

marcq

im thinking about heading up to fish the Lackawanna tomorrow. wanted to see what the stream temp is, and just a few flies I should pack. as of recently ive been trying to fish some new water with bigger wild fish so. being stuck in philly dosent help but I have an open day tomorrow and want to check it out.

thanks marc

Marc
Flow and temp should be perfect. Water might be a bit cloudy. I would suggest having some trico emergers (around 4:30 Am to 7AM) and spinners (9AM to end) in case the hatch starts as well as some dark nymphs in size 18 and 20. Also, caddis larval and pupal patterns in 16 and 18. Tan caddis adults in 16 and 18...cdc emergers and some elk hairs. Dont be afraid to indicator nymph the runs with the trico and caddis nymphs. For big stuff...the usual cranefly larvae, hellgrammites, and golden stone patterns. Streamers...zonkers in black/peach and olive/red have produced for me especially at the head of the pools in riffles. Good Luck
David Bowman

Almost forgot san juan worms work when the water is dirty and the river is littered with sow bugs...so if times get tough try a sow bug pattern it has saved the day for me when things are quiet.

Is the stretch up near Carbondale productive? I've only fished the river once (down near Scranton), but drove over the river in Carbondale the other day and it looked like pretty nice water. Nicer than the trash-ridden section I fished near Scranton.

Marq,

IMO the Lackawanna is as fickle as the big 3. It can fish bad, it happens but my break down is this:

Get a good map. I highly recommend McNallys road guide for Scranton.

Fish large bends in the stream and the river up and down of them.

The farther downstream you fish the more hogs there are, however just check your temps. It gets warm too.

Go small and medium with nymphs. Fish Caddis and larvae will produce. Don't ignore larger streamers either if your having no luck.
Have a variety of dries. Big lack fish will and do rise.

Trophy trout section is nice but the urban area can fish amazing.

Fishing at night in the urban areas can be dangerous in the wrong spots, however in good neighborhoods you can find excellent and easy fishing because you have street lights.

Get pizza while your there. That area has great pizza.

And whatever you do, don't get lost!!! :-D

thanks for the advice ill post how I do tomorrow.

where are you starting?

Well this sucks...

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/dep-investigating-significant-spill-in-lackawanna-river-1.1718299

Im speechless...it is truly a crime that this river remains under regulated. I understand that this incident appears unavoidable, but where is the DEP on a large scale clean up effort along the river bank. Are they just going to leave the oil slicked leaves and bank alone? A year or two ago the TU chapter I belong to had to petition the banning of a Salt company from allowing leach water and drains from entering the river. Why? This is a class A wild trout stream. This river is loaded to the gills with browns and I mean loaded!! THe answer should be noway!! Dont even think about it, keep your salt runoff out of the river or else! There is also a water draw station taking water from the river in Carbondale. This inevitably reduces the flow and dangers the fish on hot days with a low flow. I just cant understand how much more evidence the the city of scranton, the surrounding townships, the fish commission, and any other major influences on the river need to give this river the greatest degree of protection a river could receive. My fingers are crossed that this spill will not be seriously harmful to that section of river and its inhabitants.

I can't believe it! This is 2014. Waters are cleaner everywhere because for the most part we learned our lesson. Someone has to be held responsible for this! Damn!

fished the trophy water not really sure where just dropped a pin on google maps on some water the looked good. caught three fish the biggest being about 16 inches. caught them all on wooly buggers. thanks for the advice guys going to explore the stream more in the future.

I used to be able to upload them from flicker but they changed the how you share pics so I got them stuck on my phone.

Big-Bass wrote:
Well this sucks...

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/dep-investigating-significant-spill-in-lackawanna-river-1.1718299

The best part about this bull is the DEP first said when they arrived it was not a bid deal and there was no way to tell where it came from.
My friends then told the newspaper and the DEP completely did a 360 and quickly found the source. F'n DEP.

This isn't whisper down the lane DEP bashing either. Two of my friends are directly involved with this. One found it and the other called the DEP and met with them. When they heard the DEP blow off they went to the paper.

It is a shame this river continues to abused.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=303445333783&ref=stream

"By now, I assume many of you have heard of oil leak that has scarred the river. A large fuel oil tank at an abandoned power station was leaking a huge amount of oil into a drainage system and then into the river. This morning curiosity compelled me to go take a look at the tank. I arrived to find workers attempting to drain the remaining oil into waiting trucks.

In an effort to rally support to protect the river, our chapter has tried to draw attention to how valuable a resource it is, and our attempts have been frequently criticized by people who believe that the publicity will draw fishermen who intend to harvest fish. The fisherman who discovered the oil leak is not from the area. He learned of the river via word of mouth and via the fishing competitions that have been held on the river the last two seasons. He now fishes the river regularly. If he hadn't heard of the river, he would not have been there to detect the leak, and this morning, the tank pictured below would still be draining into the river. I've always felt that environmental threats dwarf any threat posed by harvest fisherman. Maybe this event will put that debate to rest."

Kudos the beckers friend Woody and getting this reported and taken care of, thank you.

Thanks to the two gentlemen who got the job done! Ill be checking this section of the stream out tomorrow morning. I gotta see this with my own eyes.

I see PCB contamination coming, fish not edible for human consumption :-D I'm glad that they pressured the DEP to do their jobs hopefully the damage wasn't to bad that it doesn't have any long term effects on the stream .

Here is an update.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/river-oil-spill-contained-1.1718851

Leave it to Louie! :roll:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Louis+and+Dominick+DeNaples&oq=Louis+and+Dominick+DeNaples&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

Back