knots

Update:

I have decided that the Orvis knot tying tool overly complicates tying the improved clinch knot. I am better off holding(letting the fly in another tool and wrapping the tag end around the middle finger on my left hand while holding on to the leader end of the line with my right index finger and also using my thumb.

I have to tie the improved clinch knot because I can't tie the easier clinch knot. I don't know why, but the improved clinch knot works just fine. The Orvis knot tying tool is very helpful with the surgeon's knots.

I think that I will be fine for what I do with confidently being able to tie the improved clinch double/triple surgeon's knots.

One of these days I am going to make a fly fisherman out of me before my 70th birthday.

Many years ago when I was learning how to play the piano solo "Clair De Lune" by Claude Debuss, my instructors told me that I had enough talent and training to do this but I was getting frustrated because I couldn't do it all at once the first time. They said sit down at the piano and do your best and then just walk away for a while and do something else, and then sit down at the piano and don't get frustrated if you make a mistake.

That is kind of the approach that I am taking as I am wanting to improve as a fly fisherman. I can stop trying to tie knots, but once I am fishing I cant really stop casting or trying to cast.

Two knots confidently tied will make me a better fly fisherman than I am now.

I have been practicing my double davey knot tying, and I think that I like this knot even more than the improved clinch knot. I just haven't put it to the test yet since the water temperatures where I fish are too warm to trout fish.

I know that I use more tippet than most, but I would rather use too much tippet than buy too many leaders. Tippet is less expensive than leaders.

My next step is getting better with my fly rod/line casting. I try to learn from youtube videos and concentrate when I am on the water. I am an improving fly fisherman who wants to get better.

Clair De Lune, you too! Vintage, Vintage memory! Thanks for making me remember a very important part of my childhood! Never thought of it till now!

A simple but effective leader using surgeons knots is: Gary Borger's 4 piece leader. 2 major types: 1 for top and 1 for bottom.

They work!

Mom and dad bought a Kimball baby grand. But i soon fell out of love for piano and fell in love with baseball, football, basketball.

note: the strongest is the trilene knot. Well isnt that a slim beauty!

Back