Knee Pads

salmo

salmo

I love to fish wet in the summer. However, my knees are not what they used to be. I was looking at neoprene knee pads to wear over my zipoff pants. I found a couple of pads which cover the knee over or under the pants which attach in the back with velcro. Has anyone tried this or something similar? See link: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommer...ZDF6YYS/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07ZDF6YYS&psc=1
I creep on knees alot stalking fish. Velcro gardening knee pads protect my pants or waders. Good investment for your pre patellar bursa as well so you don’t get the milkmaids knee.

Don’t own this specific brand but they look like they might be good for rocky areas.

I do a lot of mountain stream fishing and have tried knee pads for times when I want to cast from a kneeling position to stay low. Kneeling on rocks is painful. Two of my fishing buddies also have tried knee pads.

But, none of us stuck to using them.

I'm not sure why but I think it's probably mostly because it's another item to pack for fishing, to put on and take off, and the benefits just aren't that great.

Now I sometimes kneel when there is a place to kneel on a grassy spot. But mostly I just cast where I can from a standing position.

I used knee pads all the time on the Letort because I was on my knees ALL the time. However, the straps used to be EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me, as they would end up digging in behind my knees.

My solution was to buy a pair of military camo "duty pants" with a double layer of fabric at the knee. I opened one seam lengthwise on the outside of each knee to access the area BETWEEN the layers of fabric, then added some Velcro to close the seam when necessary. Then I cannibalized two nice flat foam inserts with a gel center FROM a pair of knee pads.

When I fished the Letort, I slipped simply slipped the foam into the “pockets” I created at the knees of my pants and I was set. No straps, no bulk and they work like a charm. I used them under waders and also while fishing other streams from the bank like Big Springs.

It is a bit tricky sourcing the stuff and making them, but I have a sewing machine so it was easy for me. It would also be a simple matter to ADD "pockets" to any pair of "fishing pants" and accomplish the same thing as conveniently, you have a seam on either side of the leg.

Just a thought...

Anybody who has ever worn knee pads for a living hates wearing knee pads. This is why you never see people who have a choice, choosing to wear knee pads. Wearing knee pads suck and if you buy them you will soon find this out and will quickly stop wearing knee pads. in fact, crawling around on knees suck which is why I don’t do it with or without knee pads while fishing. I’d rather not catch a fish If it meant I had to crawl to it. For those who can’t resist fishing from their knees, along the lines of what bamboozle stated, 5.11 makes a tactical pant that come internal knee pad ready. The pants seem a little pricey but I wear 5.11’s daily and I can say you will never wear them out in a decades worth of fishing trips. This is a much better approach then anything you have to carry or strap tightly above and below your knees. They also come with plenty of pockets and I think pockets are an anglers best friend.

An alternative to crawling on your knees is just to cast further.

Which means not handicapping yourself. Use a fly rod capable of easily casting a decent distance.

Anybody who has ever worn knee pads for a living hates wearing knee pads. This is why you never see people who have a choice, choosing to wear knee pads. Wearing knee pads suck and if you buy them you will soon find this out and will quickly stop wearing knee pads. in fact, crawling around on knees suck which is why I don’t do it with or without knee pads while fishing. I’d rather not catch a fish If it meant I had to crawl to it. For those who can’t resist fishing from their knees, along the lines of what bamboozle stated, 5.11 makes a tactical pant that come internal knee pad ready. The pants seem a little pricey but I wear 5.11’s daily and I can say you will never wear them out in a decades worth of fishing trips. This is a much better approach then anything you have to carry or strap tightly above and below your knees. They also come with plenty of pockets and I think pockets are an anglers best friend.
Same here doing flooring, cement finishing, and crawling in crawl spaces all suck on you knees with or without pads.

Which means not handicapping yourself. Use a fly rod capable of easily casting a decent distance.
That isn't always feasible, especially when accuracy suffers or obstructions abound...

As always Troutbert comes up with the practical solution.

I was actually thinking of designing a pair of pants with padded knees with inserts.

I wear knee pads when fishing rocky streams and rivers.

I'm at the age I don't like falling down and my knees have taken a beating when fishing over the years. The pads I wear are generic Wal-Mart pads with a hard plastic front. They're a bit of a nuisance, but worth it in my view.

I love to fish wet in the summer. However, my knees are not what they used to be. I was looking at neoprene knee pads to wear over my zipoff pants. I found a couple of pads which cover the knee over or under the pants which attach in the back with velcro. Has anyone tried this or something similar? See link: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommer...ZDF6YYS/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07ZDF6YYS&psc=1
If new wader time is coming up soon for you, I would highly suggest the Orvis Pro's. They come with removable knee pads that do not hinder movement and are very comfortable.

I wear knee pads when fishing rocky streams and rivers.

I'm at the age I don't like falling down and my knees have taken a beating when fishing over the years. The pads I wear are generic Wal-Mart pads with a hard plastic front. They're a bit of a nuisance, but worth it in my view.
Amazon makes a pair that are soft neoprene with Velcro straps. I think that might be just enough padding to work. The Velcro will allow me to take the off while hiking.

So I did get the neoprene knee pads. I’ll report when I try them. I always carry a backpack when I’m in small stream areas. They look like they will pack easily.

So I did get the neoprene knee pads. I’ll report when I try them. I always carry a backpack when I’m in small stream areas. They look like they will pack easily.
Salmo - any feedback on the knee pads? I was looking at some that are shin length so they don't slip down.

I use the basketball type knee pads. I can't kneel at all and if I fall and need to get on my knees to get up they work great. GG

Back