Kettle

kobalt335

kobalt335

Camping with the family in Ole Bull in July. Does Kettle usually get too warm in the summer? I've never fished it in that late into the year, and am just trying to figure out if I should plan to fish or not.

On the stretch you’ll be in it depends. Ole Bull is right on the border of where the Kettle watershed gets too warm in the average Summer. Below there, unless it’s a very cool and wet Summer, is almost always too warm by July. Take the gear along though and take a thermometer. Above Ole Bull and the tribs will probably be ok, unless it’s excessively dry and hot. If it is, you can always fish lower down on Kettle or Pine for WW species.

The Kettle gauge in Cross Fork, a few miles downstream, has a temperature gauge on it for reference. It’ll be a few degrees cooler at Ole Bull, but that ought to give you an idea of what it’s like.

Swattie87 wrote:
On the stretch you’ll be in it depends. Ole Bull is right on the border of where the Kettle watershed gets too warm in the average Summer. Below there, unless it’s a very cool and wet Summer, is almost always too warm by July. Take the gear along though and take a thermometer. Above Ole Bull and the tribs will probably be ok, unless it’s excessively dry and hot. If it is, you can always fish lower down on Kettle or Pine for WW species.

The Kettle gauge in Cross Fork, a few miles downstream, has a temperature gauge on it for reference. It’ll be a few degrees cooler at Ole Bull, but that ought to give you an idea of what it’s like.

Thanks!

You probably won't have enough water to fish. That wouldn't be the time of year I'd pick to camp in that area.

bigjohn58 wrote:
You probably won't have enough water to fish. That wouldn't be the time of year I'd pick to camp in that area.

It isn't a fishing trip, just a family camping weekend. Soit doesn't really bother me if I can't fish, just wanted to know if it was worth packing gear. Due to covid more people are into camping than I ever remember, so right now I take the spots I can get.

You’ll be able to fish, just maybe not for Trout in Kettle.

If things are hot and dry and water is low, head down into Pine around Cedar Run or so and fish for Bass. Any Trout left in Pine in those conditions will be sitting at obvious cold water entry points and are easy enough to avoid. Smallies and Fallfish will be out feeding in their usual type spots.

kobalt335 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

It isn't a fishing trip, just a family camping weekend. Soit doesn't really bother me if I can't fish, just wanted to know if it was worth packing gear. Due to covid more people are into camping than I ever remember, so right now I take the spots I can get.

I'd say it's always worth packing the fishing gear if you have the room... Although I will say that one of the best vacations I had was when the second car we were going to take to Worlds End a few years ago had the alternator die a day or so before we were scheduled to leave. Had to scrap taking fishing gear along on that trip due to lack of space, but family got 100% of my time, with no temptation to "just fish a little longer".

At Ole Bull, go right above the swimming area well after dark, but make sure you're definitely outside the area you can't fish; toss a gurgler or mouse pattern. I had a good outing there from about 12AM-3AM Labor Day weekend 2015. Temps hit 78 during the day at the Cross Fork gauge and the fish will shutoff when it is that warm. But when it cools down overnight in somewhat deeper water, they'll definitely feed.

If you like small stream fishing, your arguably in the best part of the state. As long as we don't have drought conditions every trib to kettle nearby including the upper part of kettle itself will produce fish.

Back