Kayak's on the roof....

K

KGStine

....gear is in the back. Looking for a place to fish tomorrow. I was hoping to fish the Susquehanna or Juniata but neither seem to be in decent shape.

I'm looking for input on the rivers or other suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

I dunno...

The rivers are all high or completely blown out.

Sometimes the Susky and Juniata can fish pretty well at 4-5' but it's much harder when they're dirty, as reports suggest that they still are. I was smoked the last time I tried to wade and paddle a canoe at those levels.

While I'm not big on fly fishing lakes in summertime, I think if it were me, I'd opt for this option. Get some weedless flies and go chase largemouths in the weeds.

Depending on how close you are, maybe take a drive over to the Susky tomorrow morning and see how it looks. If it's too dirty and fast, head to a lake.

Close proximity to a dam on waters like the Susquehanna will provide some flood control. I just check the Holtwood release schedule and it looks like the water is going to be ripping. I would look elsewhere maybe somewhere towards philly possibly the Delaware river if you want to drive that far?

Up closer to Selinsgrove the river might be fishable. Juniata is still over 4k at Newport. No idea on clarity but imagine it's still pretty stained and full of floating grass.

Thanks for the input. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected. I have an offer to play golf, but really wanted to fish.

I'll see what the morning brings.

Flows on the Susky and other big PA rivers are an exact opposite of last year. Hopefully we will end up somewhere in the middle, aka normal, later in August and in September.

Attachments

• h-burg Susky 2016.jpg
    h-burg Susky 2016.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • h-burg Susky 2017.jpg
    h-burg Susky 2017.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2
KGStine wrote:
....gear is in the back. Looking for a place to fish tomorrow. I was hoping to fish the Susquehanna or Juniata but neither seem to be in decent shape.

I'm looking for input on the rivers or other suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

If the water clarity is good try one of the lakes on the susky . I believe their is some good LMB lakes in Lancaster county I believe a few even has stripers

Should have played golf.

I tried Speedwell Forge lake. Water seemed fairly dirty, but I was never there before. Fished from 8:30 to noon, caught about 10 tiny largemouth bass and blue gills.

After lunch I drove over to the Susquehanna at Falmouth, but it was too high and dirty for me.

water has been ok here

Back