Kayak fishing?

JeremyW

JeremyW

Anyone else out kayak fishing this summer? I've recent found a new purpose for my 4wt rod for panfish and bass on my local reservoirs. Curious if others take a fly rod out on flat water, or spinning gear etc...

I fished on a yak a few times. It's uncomfortable for me to sit down and cast as I like to cast standing up and put my full body into the cast. I also don't like having to control the boat and fish at the same time, it's just too much for me. That being said a kayak can definitely be an effective tool for covering larger water sources.

My stint in a yak stopped when I inadvertently used a rod to stop the kayak. I also lost a combo that I had placed on the back of the boat. Placing stuff on a kayak is a really dumb idea.

I enjoy fishing out of my kayak but there is definitely a learning curve as far as what kind and how you want to outfit it. Also I like to have several hours if kayaking so I'm not rushed setting it up. Plenty of other lessons for me such as how to deploy and retrieve a drift sock, the same for the anchor. My usual set up would be two to three spinning rods and one fly rod. I prefer to wade if I'm going to just fly fish though, especially when pressed for time.

Perhaps I need to put more trips on a yak. Did it maybe three times. Not sure if you are legally required to wear a life vest but that would be even more constrictive on my range of motion when casting. Would be fun to hook a carp and have it take you for a ride though...

I fly fish out of a kayak regularly during the summer. I originally had a sit in kayak and took some practice to be able to cast while sitting low in water. It can be done. I upgraded to a fishing kayak a few years ago which is extremely stable and if my legs are up for it, I'm able to stand and cast with ease, granted there's no waves on the water. I typically float lakes in my area but have done a few float trips on the bigger rivers. Tons of fun in my opinion.

I've been fly-fishing out of the Hobie Kayak for a few years now and love it.

A Hobie has pedals making it hands-free fishing. I also can pedal in reverse which is like back-rowing in a drift boat.

Last year I added an electric motor to give me more range and the ability to slow my drift hands free and fish out a good section.

I fish my kayak on lakes for panfish and bass, but mostly use it on rivers like the Susky and Juniata for smallies.

When river fishing I can launch and go up and/or down river a couple of miles and return to the launch at the end of the day. No need to drift down to a take-out area have to figure out the logistics of getting back to the launch for my vehicle.

The kayak has increased my fishing opportunities allowing me to fish in higher water when wading is not doable. In addition, I can pedal and/or motor to a more secluded area or island, beach the kayak and wade fish. Also I can now fish in areas of deeper water where wading is impossible.

My Hobie kayak has really increased the amount of fishing I can now do as well as my enjoyment of fly-fishing.

i had a fully loaded hobie outback. its was nice when i was out on lakes. took it out in the bay too for fluke. if i ever get another one it will be mounted on a small trailer. the hobie outback i had was on the heavier side.

I would but I get so much more actual fishing done in the float tube. I just take the yak to the Beach anymore.

I did get a fishing kayak, one of the bonafide ex123, mainly because it was just 63ish lbs. I had a heavier one that I put on top of my car, which was brutal sometimes getting it up there.

I mainly fished for trout, until now, I'm really liking the 4wt rod for panfish, and occasional bass... w/ floating line. Surprising numbers of fish will eat on the surface in the summer, and I was pleased to find many of the flies / nymphs I used for trout work for other fish as well.

Yesterday caught my first decent size bass 15-16" on the fly rod, in the yak... good times.

A Hobie has pedals making it hands-free fishing. I also can pedal in reverse which is like back-rowing in a drift boat.

Last year I added an electric motor to give me more range and the ability to slow my drift hands free and fish out a good section.

I fish my kayak on lakes for panfish and bass, but mostly use it on rivers like the Susky and Juniata for smallies.

When river fishing I can launch and go up and/or down river a couple of miles and return to the launch at the end of the day. No need to drift down to a take-out area have to figure out the logistics of getting back to the launch for my vehicle.

The kayak has increased my fishing opportunities allowing me to fish in higher water when wading is not doable. In addition, I can pedal and/or motor to a more secluded area or island, beach the kayak and wade fish. Also I can now fish in areas of deeper water where wading is impossible.

My Hobie kayak has really increased the amount of fishing I can now do as well as my enjoyment of fly-fishing.
hobie is currently out of the family budget, but maybe some day with a trailer.

I have a Hobie Compass. It weighs <70lbs. I can easily put it in my pickup bed. Lifting it on a roof rack would be a little tougher; not really from the weight as much as the height needed to get it up there since I'm vertically challenged, aka short. But a lot of guys use roof racks without any problem. Anyway, kayaks are "da' bomb" to fish out of for many. Just check out how many kayaks you see on any accessible river or lake all through the warm seasons.

I have a Pelican Sentinel 100. Tricked out somewhat, two accessory tracks w rod holders in front, Garmin Sriker 4 with the transducer marine glued into one of the scupper holes on the bottom. Weighs 45lb empty so pretty easy load into my truck; especially with my custom made sawhorses the exact height of my truck bed. This time of year I pretty much have to fish really early or on cloudy/rainy days. Despite the popularity the vast majority of kayak fans around here are obsessed with sunny days.

Anyone else out kayak fishing this summer? I've recent found a new purpose for my 4wt rod for panfish and bass on my local reservoirs. Curious if others take a fly rod out on flat water, or spinning gear etc...
It’s my favorite way to fish for stripers and blues except for wading in flats or sandbars but I use the kayak to get to those places. You don’t need to stand up or make long casts in a kayak because you are basically at water level the same as wading up to your waist and the low profile of the yak and the fact that it doesn’t make any noise keeps your from spooking fish. I fly fish from the yak 100% of the time. The key is to take as little as possible. I don’t use any rod holders or fish finders and have spare rod and equip in a milk crate behind the seat. If you can afford it get a hobie because the foot pedals allow you to fish the whole time without picking up a paddle to make adjustments. Hobies are expensive but worth every penny if you want to catch fish instead of picking up your paddle every other cast to hold position. I like it because you don’t need a boat, trailer, or ramp to launch and as long as you don’t drag them across cement they are pretty much indestructible. I’m not affiliated with hobie just saying they are the cream of the crop for pedal style kayak fishing because you can fish in any depth of water the fins can lay up against the hull if you need to drift over a ledge or sand bar. You only need 2” of water.

I fish from a yak a fair amount, but, its mostly with a spinning rod so far. Several reasons.

1. I usually fish rivers (small ones for a boat) and its not unusual to dump once or twice. Running rate is losing or breaking 1-2 rods a year. A lot easier to swallow a cheap spinning outfit.

2. Most spots I wanna fish are in current, right off a full paddle attention riffle. In a yak you identify the spot, and have a chance to grab the rod and cast for about 10 seconds before you're past it, plus you might not be oriented right and have to make sideways or backwards casts. And one hand is running the paddle. When I have a fly rod, by the time I got line worked out its too late.

I fish from a yak a fair amount, but, its mostly with a spinning rod so far. Several reasons.

1. I usually fish rivers (small ones for a boat) and its not unusual to dump once or twice. Running rate is losing or breaking 1-2 rods a year. A lot easier to swallow a cheap spinning outfit.

2. Most spots I wanna fish are in current, right off a full paddle attention riffle. In a yak you identify the spot, and have a chance to grab the rod and cast for about 10 seconds before you're past it, plus you might not be oriented right and have to make sideways or backwards casts. And one hand is running the paddle. When I have a fly rod, by the time I got line worked out its too late.

Primarily I spin fish from mine as well. That said, I usually have a fly rod with, especially early am. In the fall crappie and gills are often busting on top and will hit just about any fly you toss. I'm in a lake too, but even so the wind often makes positioning a challenge. Don't have the scratch for a foot pedal yak but was impressed by how easily another angler could hold position in a stiff breeze.

When are we going out Tweed ?

Dear Board,

I have a Crescent Lite Tackle kayak that I fish out of on occasion, but I find it far from ideal as a fishing craft because even on a lake or pond boat management becomes the primary task in all but perfect conditions like pcray mentioned on streams.

I have float tubes that let me stay where I want to stay by lazily flipping my feet in the water. They aren't handy for moving 3/4's of a mile across the lake though.

My buddy has two Nucanoe Unlimited kayaks with Torqueedo motors on them. He keeps threatening to take me out in one of them and I'd like to go but I'm afraid I'd like too much! These suckers are tricked out with Garmin GPS finders and with a phone app he can stay exactly where he needs to be with the Torqueedo in any condition, even the current on the Susquehanna.

But with his trailer he probably has at least $10K wrapped up in the kayak fishing set up he and his son use. He sold his jet boat to buy the kayaks. For that kind of money, you can get a used hard boat with a gas outboard and a GPS capable trolling motor and fish in virtually any weather or at any time of year the water isn't hard.

That's where I'm at on kayak fishing. I enjoy it but am not sold on it 100%. I'd like to sell my 16' Grumman boat and buy something smaller and more manageable for me and wife to use. She likes to fish but isn't a die-hard. I love to fish and can be a die-hard, but not when I'm handling a 16' boat by my lonesome.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Last edited:
Dear Board,

I have a Crescent Lite Tackle kayak that I fish out of on occasion, but I find it far from ideal as a fishing craft because even on a lake or pond boat management becomes the primary task in all but perfect conditions like pcray mentioned on streams.

I have float tubes that let me stay where I want to stay by lazily flipping my feet in the water. They aren't handy for moving 3/4's of a mile across the lake though.

My buddy has two Nucanoe Unlimited kayaks with Torqueedo motors on them. He keeps threating to take me out in one of them and I'd like to go but I'm afraid I'd like too much! These suckers are tricked out with Garmin GPS finders and with a phone app he can stay exactly where he needs to be with the Torqueedo in any condition, even the current on the Susquehanna.

But with his trailer he probably has at least $10K wrapped up in the kayak fishing set up he and his son use. He sold his jet boat to buy the kayaks. For that kind of money, you can get a used hard boat with a gas outboard and a GPS capable trolling motor and fish in virtually any weather or at any time of year the water isn't hard.

That's where I'm at on kayak fishing. I enjoy it but am not sold on it 100%. I'd like to sell my 16' Grumman boat and buy something smaller and more manageable for me and wife to use. She likes to fish but isn't a die-hard. I love to fish and can be a die-hard, but not when I'm handling a 16' boat by my lonesome.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
honestly looking at those $5k kayaks makes me wonder, "why not a jon boat"... probably get a used jon boat, electric motor, and used trailer for $5k

honestly looking at those $5k kayaks makes me wonder, "why not a jon boat"... probably get a used jon boat, electric motor, and used trailer for $5k
what it comes down to is what fishing you wanna do. jon boats are good so are hobies. but i wouldnt take a jon boat where i took my hobie like the bay or ocean for example. at the same point a jon boat would be great for a river so i dont scratch or damage the mirage drive on the hobie. the mirage drive can be removed but still. hobies or any sit on top kayak has the ability to remove water on its own keeping you afloat. if you take on water in jon you need a bildge pump. another note would be flipping. its much easier to flip a kayak back over whereas a jon would be impossible.

Back