Just starting out

^^^^^
The same could be said of humans.

jdaddy wrote:
How can one fish be so beautiful and another be so God awful?

Are you calling Nello an ugly fish??

Don't feel bad Nello, the first fish I caught out of spring was a massive sucker like that one too.

Ryan, was your first time on Spring that evening at the jam? Didn't remember a sucker but you got a few browns during the spinner fall if I recall.

That would be it Pat. I nymphed up about a 15" sucker before the bugs hit the water. I did catch a handful of browns on the spinners, but the sucker was first.

I'm still in amazement of that day. I'd never seen a spinnerfall before that day. No one in our group caught anything and I'm thinking this is rediculous that Spring has such high regards...then the water exploded with rises once the bugs hit the water. I think I just sat there in awe at first, then got to fishing. Didn't get to fish Spring last year at the JAM and def need to make atleast one trip there this year.

Ryan

Well, I fished for about 6 hours today and landed my first fish. I had hooked one before, but lost it before I had it in hand. This guy took a pheasant tail out of some pretty fast moving water. I lost my head at first and just started stripping in line before I remembered that I had a reel :)

Attachments

• 100_0941.jpg
    100_0941.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8
Congrats !

pwk5017 wrote:
Well, I fished for about 6 hours today and landed my first fish. I had hooked one before, but lost it before I had it in hand. This guy took a pheasant tail out of some pretty fast moving water. I lost my head at first and just started stripping in line before I remembered that I had a reel :)

Welcome to the sickness!
Winter fishing is difficult, so that makes your first fly caught fish that much more rewarding.

Most people just strip fish in by hand, the reel doesn't serve a purpose in the majority of fly fishing you'll do in streams.

Back