Just a Bow?

That’s what I first thought too. Looks like the strain that is common in some of the CV limestoners. The strain(s) that are established in some of the small freestone streams in NW PA, the Laurel Highlands, and the Upper D watershed look completely different.

That said, the background of that photo suggests a stream that is larger than the CV limestoners. I have a pretty good guess I think, but out of respect for the OP, who chose not to reveal the location, I’ll refrain from posting my guess.

Edit: The below are three wild Bows from three different small freestone streams in PA. For comparison. I don’t have a lot of CV wild Bow pics, as I don’t fish that area often, but maybe someone can post a few of those for comparison.

View attachment 1641234218View attachment 1641234220View attachment 1641234219
Pretty sure I know the stream and it would make it a hatchery escapee or a fingerling plant.

Here's a few BS rainbows from ten years or so ago:

DSCN1302

100 4719

Attachments

• DSCN1307.JPG
    DSCN1307.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 12
The first thing I noticed was the spotting pattern, and it reminded me of cutbows I caught this summer near Glacier NP.

Attachments

• IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a cuttbow hybrid
My thought as well, because of the spotting pattern -- many more spots on the rear of the fish than on the front. If I'd caught that fish in Idaho, I would have said cuttbow without hesitation. Here, probably not.

I think we're probably best off ID-ing cutbows by the slash rather than spot patterns.

Unless you've seen hundreds of wild cutties and Bows and have a personal reference.
Does this thread not prove the contrary?

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was just pointing out that a non-hybridized rainbow could have a spot pattern similar to what is often seen in cutts. Therefore, it is not an effective method for identifying a hybrid.

FWIW, I too have seen hundreds of wild cutthroats and rainbows and at least dozens of hybrids. I still haven't found one of Hank Patterson's cuttybrownbows, though.

And as prior threads have indicated, some Big Spring Rainbows end up with slashes too.

Knowing where I believe you caught that one, I would be a heavy lean on a fingerling that was stocked below where you were fishing that then swam upstream and found trout pellet paradise along with whatever else people throw in the water there. Still a great fish 👍 The pic is from the same stream you fished except much higher up in the system. The bow in the pic is wild.

Attachments

• 26 Rainbow 2_SC.jpg
    26 Rainbow 2_SC.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 46
I wouldn't go as far as definitely wild but it is a great fish.

This isn't the best example as I don't have access to all my photos right now but, while certainly not as nice as your example, this fish was stocked:

q9nnOiV.jpg

With some time, those fins would have healed up.

Here's one from a couple of years ago that was definitely a stocked fish but with exceptional color and great fins. I suppose it could have been a holdover fish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209-111709.png
    Screenshot_20240209-111709.png
    476.9 KB · Views: 22
I think we're probably best off ID-ing cutbows by the slash rather than spot patterns.
I think so too, just couldn’t see under the jaw from the picture. Sometimes the slash is so faint ican be easily missed.

I caught this guy today in an unstocked Schuylkill County stream. I’ve caught small seemingly wild 🌈 from the same stream before, but this was definitely the biggest rainbow. Thoughts?

IMG 3432

IMG 3429

Reactions: CRB
I caught this guy today in an unstocked Schuylkill County stream. I’ve caught small seemingly wild 🌈 from the same stream before, but this was definitely the biggest rainbow. Thoughts?

View attachment 1641234851

View attachment 1641234853
Well there are some streams in the area that support limited reproduction but they do stock the main branch of the skuke with fingerling bows. its not a stretch that one moved up a trib if it is part of that watershed. Survival rate is not good but I have caught them 12 inches + on ocassion.

Back