Juniata River WW JAM! August 2 - 4, 2024

I won’t be able to make the jam, but wanted to report that my wife and I made an impromptu trip to fish the Juniata near Mount Union on Sunday. We only fished from 4:30 to 6:30 PM. I caught 25 smallmouth and my wife caught 15. I was really impressed with the quality of the fish. I got one between 17 and 18”. Most were 14-16”, thick and heavy. I hadn’t fished the Juniata for about 12-15 years, since my uncle had a camp in Newport. It seems like the Mighty J is doing really well, and I hope you all have a great time at the Jam 👍

not sure if we are listing what we plan to bring but, I plan to bring a crock of calico beans Friday. I'll play it by ear for Saturday

I was out today right in Lewistown. The river was on fire. Rain came off and on, but the bite was awesome the whole time.

not sure if we are listing what we plan to bring but, I plan to bring a crock of calico beans Friday. I'll play it by ear for Saturday
You better bring those beans....I'd want nothing less. Are you staying over or driving home each day?

Some guys can sleep in the house in beds.

You better bring those beans....I'd want nothing less. Are you staying over or driving home each day?

driving back .Its only 50 minutes. I'm too old to sleep on the ground and I like my AC, especially after floating all day. I anticipate wading around dark too. Yes, I got soft after 50.

Hi Josh and all,
I've been holding off responding in hopes that my schedule would change, unfortunately it hasn't, so I won't be able to make it this year. Appears you are going to have a bigger turn out than prior years. Hope the weather holds and the fish cooperate. Post some pictures and some lies.
Enjoy the weekend!!
Ken Stine

Dear jifigz,

I just saw this. If beans are involved and I eat them, I'll have the whole house to myself, and people will be sleeping in the river with snorkels. It's best I don't stay over!

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Hi Josh and all,
I've been holding off responding in hopes that my schedule would change, unfortunately it hasn't, so I won't be able to make it this year. Appears you are going to have a bigger turn out than prior years. Hope the weather holds and the fish cooperate. Post some pictures and some lies.
Enjoy the weekend!!
Ken Stine
Bummer, Ken. Maybe next year.

The turnout for this weekend looks good, but the weather looks questionable at times. We will see.

I will have either a 20x30 or a 20x20 tent setup along with at least one EZ-Up style canopy. Usually, I would have the bigger tent setup, but I don't have any help this year prior to the event starting, so I may ask the first able bodied attendee to help on Friday morning,

I will have stuff for pancake and eggs for mornings. I will have chicken thighs and burgers to provide. I will have two smaller Coleman style camp stoves there along with one larger propane burner and a couple of grills. I will have electric lights strung under the big tent to give us enough ambient light to see. I will also have a few folding tables setup to use. I will also have some bottled water on hand for those in attendance.

Those coming should bring a chair for themselves along with whatever else they may need and or want.

The turnout for this weekend looks good, but the weather looks questionable at times. We will see.

I will have either a 20x30 or a 20x20 tent setup along with at least one EZ-Up style canopy. Usually, I would have the bigger tent setup, but I don't have any help this year prior to the event starting, so I may ask the first able bodied attendee to help on Friday morning,

I will have stuff for pancake and eggs for mornings. I will have chicken thighs and burgers to provide. I will have two smaller Coleman style camp stoves there along with one larger propane burner and a couple of grills. I will have electric lights strung under the big tent to give us enough ambient light to see. I will also have a few folding tables setup to use. I will also have some bottled water on hand for those in attendance.

Those coming should bring a chair for themselves along with whatever else they may need and or want.
I'll probably be there before 9. I can help.

The predicted showers should not destroy the fishing like last years monsoons. The river has been absorbing these brief events well and even improves fishing as it gives the water some tint. It was gin clear last week and that leads to spooky bass

Last edited:
I'll probably be there before 9. I can help.

The predicted showers should not destroy the fishing like last years monsoons. The river has been absorbing these brief events well and even improves fishing as it gives the water some tint. It was gin clear last week and that leads to spooky bass
Meh..I don't know if I agree with you. Yes, the river shouldn't get blown out, but usually the bass bite is pretty spectacular in gin-clear water in the summer.

I was out last evening and the bite was good, but the rising water levels knocked a lot of grass free. That was annoying.

i'll be there early too, glad to help.

Ill be there around 9 am tomorrow and would be happy to help also. I can also bring an EZ Up.

Damn, If I knew there was going to be scrapple .....
I'm a pretty healthy eater but nothing gets me going more than scrapple. I remember going to the beach with my college friends. Stay out all night, eat scrapple at Little Anthony's, jump in the ocean, and do it all over again. My dad ate it with molasses or Karo but for me, it has to be ketchup.

I'm a pretty healthy eater but nothing gets me going more than scrapple. I remember going to the beach with my college friends. Stay out all night, eat scrapple at Little Anthony's, jump in the ocean, and do it all over again. My dad ate it with molasses or Karo but for me, it has to be ketchup.
I prefer mustard.

I like it for breakfast with eggs. The butcher shop I stop at binds it with steel cut oats. It is not very fatty and I add just a little oil to the pan to help crisp it up. It is probably better for you than sausage or bacon but its not health food.

I like it for breakfast with eggs. The butcher shop I stop at binds it with steel cut oats. It is not very fatty and I add just a little oil to the pan to help crisp it up. It is probably better for you than sausage or bacon but its not health food.
Scrapple is made with pig parts, cornmeal (and/or flour), and spices. Goetta is created with both pork and beef and uses oats as the binder

His version is called Knipp but it could be Goetta that he calls Knipp. This is a German butcher shop and Goetta is German I beleive. He only makes it with Pig heads ... that is what I was told.
I'm sure it can be made with different variations. Anyway it is good.

Last edited:
Back