Juniata River WW JAM! August 2 - 4, 2024

Very gracious of you to host this event Josh. You're to be commended for your efforts. The world needs more of your type.
You should come up. Even if you don't bass fish, there is a high quality mountain freestone stream only 2 miles away. 😃

sounds like a great time. have fun guys. i wish i could attend. camping, fishing, and good food is always fun.

You should come up. Even if you don't bass fish, there is a high quality mountain freestone stream only 2 miles away. 😃
Yo Josh - I may swing by Friday and Saturday AM for that mountain action. Actually, it's more about hooking up with the PAFF folks especially since I missed the Spring Jam. Want me to bring scrapple? Seriously, though I know it's a love/hate thang. I'll bring a couple bottles of my wife's favorite Merlot.

Yo Josh - I may swing by Friday and Saturday AM for that mountain action. Actually, it's more about hooking up with the PAFF folks especially since I missed the Spring Jam. Want me to bring scrapple? Seriously, though I know it's a love/hate thang. I'll bring a couple bottles of my wife's favorite Merlot.
Sure, come on by. I like scrapple, so I wouldn't mind that. I like merlot, too, but I gave up alcohol years ago.

The mountain crick really exists, but accessing it is not quite as easy as it used to be. It is there and fishable, but to access the bigger chunk, you need to take a longer drive. There is one small and tiny property of uninviting landowners that screw us over these days. It didn't used to be like that. I bet flows aren't great, either, but the water should be cold on that crick.

If you seriously do come by, there is always cold trout water not too far away, if you are a trout- only-kind-of-guy.

I am off Friday, so depending on who's fishing early on Friday or how early I can get moving, I am coming Friday early. Still working out details of a possible float one of those days with Joe and maybe Tim

If conditions are right, I may trout fish one day, like maybe Sunday. It seems the heat is coming back though? I actually caught my first trouts in a month in SEPA this morning. I kind of missed them...

I like Les's scrapple idea! I was thinking about bagels and spreads to supplement breakfast each day, maybe some dessert stuff like Tastykakes to bring a little Philly out there?

I am off Friday, so depending on who's fishing early on Friday or how early I can get moving, I am coming Friday early. Still working out details of a possible float one of those days with Joe and maybe Tim

If conditions are right, I may trout fish one day, like maybe Sunday. It seems the heat is coming back though? I actually caught my first trouts in a month in SEPA this morning. I kind of missed them...

I like Les's scrapple idea! I was thinking about bagels and spreads to supplement breakfast each day, maybe some dessert stuff like Tastykakes to bring a little Philly out there?
Dear Nymph-wristed,

I will be up Saturday morning. I will be bringing an inflatable pontoon with the idea I may float from Josh's parent's farm down to Granville. I've worked out the logistics of that with Josh.

I'm trying to coax a buddy to bring his kayaks up for Sunday. That may not happen, but I am planning to return on Sunday too. I don't think I'll be able to overnight with the honey-do list hanging in the balance. She's Sicilian and a stern taskmaster, plus like all Sicilians, she's good with a knife! 😉

However it plays out, I look forward to putting a couple new faces to names.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Dear Nymph-wristed,

I will be up Saturday morning. I will be bringing an inflatable pontoon with the idea I may float from Josh's parent's farm down to Granville. I've worked out the logistics of that with Josh.

I'm trying to coax a buddy to bring his kayaks up for Sunday. That may not happen, but I am planning to return on Sunday too. I don't think I'll be able to overnight with the honey-do list hanging in the balance. She's Sicilian and a stern taskmaster, plus like all Sicilians, she's good with a knife! 😉

However it plays out, I look forward to putting a couple new faces to names.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
Looking forward to meeting you, Tim! I wouldn't want you to get hurt, so you do what she says....

Maybe I'll join yinz' guys on a short Saturday float.... Maybe. I HATE fly fishing from a kayak. I guess I could bring my Jon boat and launch at my parents' and then run the truck and trailer down to the launch.

Hell, I could even man the oars on the Jon and someone could cast from the front....

Maybe I'll join yinz' guys on a short Saturday float.... Maybe. I HATE fly fishing from a kayak. I guess I could bring my Jon boat and launch at my parents' and then run the truck and trailer down to the launch.

Hell, I could even man the oars on the Jon and someone could cast from the front....
Yo Josh,

I'd volunteer to man the bow casting station but I'm a seriously big fella. Maybe I can sit at the stern and you could cast at the sky since that would be the only thing you could see.

Just a thought! 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Yo Josh,

I'd volunteer to man the bow casting station but I'm a seriously big fella. Maybe I can sit at the stern and you could cast at the sky since that would be the only thing you could see.

Just a thought! 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
How does a "seriously big fella" successfully fly fish from a kayak?

How does a "seriously big fella" successfully fly fish from a kayak?
From a big-a**ed kayak. Mine has a 425 pound capacity. As long as I bring nothing to eat, nothing to drink, and only a handful of flies with no split shot I'm golden! 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Scrapple paired with a good merlot. What more could you ask for?

i'm planning on heading out early Friday. three hour ish drive should be out there between nine and ten. ditto on the float.

I'm bringing one buddy. He is bringing a 3-man raft. We consequently have a spare seat for anybody that wants to join us for a float. Josh - if you are available Saturday morning, maybe you could either join our boat or share a shuttle?
I am kind of assuming that the best approach is to plan on fishing morning and evening and mostly recharge during the middle of the day?
We plan to fish probably the Kish Friday morning on our way there, then arrive mid-afternoon and get camp set up.
Sound like an appropriate plan?
Looking forward to meeting folks and putting some faces with names.

I'm bringing one buddy. He is bringing a 3-man raft. We consequently have a spare seat for anybody that wants to join us for a float. Josh - if you are available Saturday morning, maybe you could either join our boat or share a shuttle?
I am kind of assuming that the best approach is to plan on fishing morning and evening and mostly recharge during the middle of the day?
We plan to fish probably the Kish Friday morning on our way there, then arrive mid-afternoon and get camp set up.
Sound like an appropriate plan?
Looking forward to meeting folks and putting some faces with names.
Most people will probably fish morning and evening, but in my opinion, excellent fishing happens often throughout mid day.

It's all very play-it-by-ear..

We plan to fish probably the Kish Friday morning on our way there.
As I sit here drinking my morning coffee, this upcoming week looks hot. Just be sure to take that stream temp and make sure she's under 68°, please.

Unless we get some good rain, flows are probably gonna suck.

Having never fished the Juniata, I don't know if a raft is a reasonable way to fish the river. Is the river floatable in your area with a raft? It drafts probably 8-10 inches. The reason I ask is that if it's not worthwhile, we'll leave it at home. I also have a small raft that might be more appropriate.

Having never fished the Juniata, I don't know if a raft is a reasonable way to fish the river. Is the river floatable in your area with a raft? It drafts probably 8-10 inches. The reason I ask is that if it's not worthwhile, we'll leave it at home. I also have a small raft that might be more appropriate.
Yes, it's floatable with a raft or driftboat.

It's pretty big water. There are some places where you may have to get out to drag over some rocks or shallow riffles but this is true throughout the Juniata in summer.

I'm also bringing a three man raft.

Back