July 4th Pine/Slate area

drakeking412

drakeking412

Headed up to fish this area over the 4th since I was able to sneak a 4 day weekend. Headed up alone from Pittsburgh so anyone that would like to meet up is welcome! I'm looking for some recommendations on some streams and access in the area since I almost always just stay at Pettecote and fish Slate mouth and the stretch and I'd like to see some new waters and maybe be able to hook into my first wild brookie on the new rod wildtrouter found for me (thanks again!). Any help is greatly appreciated thank you everyone!!

Alex

Just about every tributary coming into Pine in that area has wild trout and/ or native brook trout. take a drive up slate run or cedar run and you will have as good of a chance as anywhere.

Find the Slate Run Tackle Shop website, and click on "Stream Conditions." Already it seems that Pine has gotten too warm to fish ethically for trout, and the site urges fly-fishermen to fish the smaller, colder runs. (It's a pretty nice website. Has a nice set of pics.)

Ya I read the monthly email today, I was going to keep an eye on the guage to check temps and such. Was really hoping to hook into one more big brown but totally ok with small stream fishing too

upper pine is coolerand holds big browns, though its getting close to 70. yesterday morning it was 66.

Back