Jean's Run Access Question

I imagine it could work under certain cercumstances, but I can also invision it pissing off a determined bear. But, the odds of a black bear actually attacking you are slim to none though. IMO
I totally agree.
I would only use it on an already totally pissed off bear.

But your chances of needing it are very slim

I spend a ton of time out in areas with dense bear populations. I have a heck of a time with them destroying my trail cameras and they often find them without a few hours of being deployed. Between turkey hunting, fishing and hiking I am over 20 bears for this year already. I have never once felt threatened by a black bear in pa in the woods.

I spend a ton of time out in areas with dense bear populations. I have a heck of a time with them destroying my trail cameras and they often find them without a few hours of being deployed. Between turkey hunting, fishing and hiking I am over 20 bears for this year already. I have never once felt threatened by a black bear in pa in the woods.
Yep, they seem to have a real facination with trail cams. I've seen many cams on video mode that show a bear messing with it, and sometimes pulling it from the tree.

There are rumors that some batteries may give off a smell that attracts them as well as certain lipids used as release agents in plastic molding processes that could also leave scent. I have had about 10 cameras destroyed by bear so I have resorted to using rubber gloves and spraying the cameras down.

Sorry for the divergent thoughts, back to Jean's run and the wild critters that call it home.

Well after 10 hours, 1200ft of elevation gain, 7 miles, 5 ticks, 1 bear cub, and countless brookies, this long strange trip has come to completion. Thanks to everyone for all of the last minute info and tips which ultimately led to our success! Definitely a ball buster of stream, and one to be respected…the only way out is through…

Attachments

• IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5596.png
    IMG_5596.png
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 130
Well after 10 hours, 1200ft of elevation gain, 7 miles, 5 ticks, 1 bear cub, and countless brookies, this long strange trip has come to completion. Thanks to everyone for all of the last minute info and tips which ultimately led to our success! Definitely a ball buster of stream, and one to be respected…the only way out is through…
Glad you enjoyed yourself up there! The dink in the net looks typical of the ones I was getting.

Glad you enjoyed yourself up there! The dink in the net looks typical of the ones I was getting.
Yep I would say 95% of the ones we caught were like the one in the net. With that being said my buddy did luck himself into this 9-10”er. Otherwise every fish was pretty dinky, but beautiful colors nonetheless.

Attachments

• IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 74
Yep I would say 95% of the ones we caught were like the one in the net. With that being said my buddy did luck himself into this 9-10”er. Otherwise every fish was pretty dinky, but beautiful colors nonetheless.
I was wondering what your biggest was, that's a nice one. When I first started fishing Jeans, that size native was common. On most trips I'd get a couple 10" and even an 11". Never got crazy numbers, usually around 15, but consistently good size fish.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's not really the numbers that's changed, it's the size of the natives. I'm just very curious why. Some say it's a cycle, but I've fished Jeans for 14 years now and it's situation hasn't rebounded in that time.
It certainly isn't from pressure/over harvest, can't get much more remote. I admire anybody who goes up, or down into Jeans.

Last edited:
I would think floods in this steep gradient stream may have contibuted to the the fish population being smaller and less numerous. Just a guess.

I would think floods in this steep gradient stream may have contibuted to the the fish population being smaller and less numerous. Just a guess.
Jeans is nothing but rocks and boulders/undercuts with many deep plunge pools where trout can go during flood conditions. Floods have gone on forever.

Jeans is nothing but rocks and boulders/undercuts with many deep plunge pools where trout can go during flood conditions. Floods have gone on forever.
Fish population size structures can take time. More than 14 years.

It takes at least 4-6 years to grow the fish you are considering. One bad drought, maybe a couple in successive years, throw in a flood or two, etc etc and you are looking at a 20 year plus cycle.

I was wondering what your biggest was, that's a nice one. When I first started fishing Jeans, that size native was common. On most trips I'd get a couple 10" and even an 11". Never got crazy numbers, usually around 15, but consistently good size fish.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's not really the numbers that's changed, it's the size of the natives. I'm just very curious why. Some say it's a cycle, but I've fished Jeans for 14 years now and it's situation hasn't rebounded in that time.
It certainly isn't from pressure/over harvest, can't get much more remote. I admire anybody who goes up, or down into Jeans.
Don't be sure it isn't from pressure/overharvest. How many people have posted about fishing it just on this forum?

Yeah I agree until larger rocks get moving and crashing into each other in very high conditions. Fish survive during these events but they cant be helpful.

Don't be sure it isn't from pressure/overharvest. How many people have posted about fishing it just on this forum?
I hear you. It does get fished, but not all that often. Like I mentioned, in over 40 trips to Jeans, I've seen other fishermen on two occasions. I don't think that's the issue, because even the ones who do go out of their way to get there, most are catch and release types.

WENacho....What did you wear while fishing it? shorts, waders, nylon clothing, etc....?

It was so humid yesterday (really all days recently). I can't imagine there was much of a breeze deep in. Were you sweating your butt off? I was nearby floating the Lehigh (White Haven-Rockport) and I was quite sweaty just oaring a 12' raft with three others and when the sun came out it was even worse.

Fish population size structures can take time. More than 14 years.

It takes at least 4-6 years to grow the fish you are considering. One bad drought, maybe a couple in successive years, throw in a flood or two, etc etc and you are looking at a 20 year plus cycle.
These are good points. If that's the case, I'll probably be dead before it starts producing bigger brookies again. Why aren't the 6"-7" trout I caught 5 years ago showing up as 9"-10" fish now?

WENacho....What did you wear while fishing it? shorts, waders, nylon clothing, etc....?

It was so humid yesterday (really all days recently). I can't imagine there was much of a breeze deep in. Were you sweating your butt off? I was nearby floating the Lehigh (White Haven-Rockport) and I was quite sweaty just oaring a 12' raft with three others and when the sun came out it was even worse.
Wore a long sleeve, quick drying button up since there’s a lot of bush whacking I wanted to be fully covered. Quick drying hiking pants, Korkers Greenback wading boots with frog toggs wet wading socks. My buddy pretty much wore the same. I could see wet wading not being an option on cooler days, especially when water is at its coolest earlier in the season. Water was around 58/59F.

Since we just about always had our feet in the water it never got too warm for us, all of the tree and rhododendron cover probably helped too…but once we got on top of the mountain and finished fishing, the hike back down to the car was very sweaty.

Wore a long sleeve, quick drying button up since there’s a lot of bush whacking I wanted to be fully covered. Quick drying hiking pants, Korkers Greenback wading boots with frog toggs wet wading socks. My buddy pretty much wore the same. I could see wet wading not being an option on cooler days, especially when water is at its coolest earlier in the season. Water was around 58/59F.

Since we just about always had our feet in the water it never got too warm for us, all of the tree and rhododendron cover probably helped too…but once we got on top of the mountain and finished fishing, the hike back down to the car was very sweaty.

Streams that have that kind of gradient have a built in natural air conditioning system on hot days between the cool water and the way cold air funnels down the mountain via the stream channel. You don’t realize how hot it is til you climb out the top. Can be a 20 deg+ difference.

These are good points. If that's the case, I'll probably be dead before it starts producing bigger brookies again. Why aren't the 6"-7" trout I caught 5 years ago showing up as 9"-10" fish now?
I think they are. I traded PMs with a couple of you as a result of WENacho starting this thread, but the bottom line is my bottom-to-top hike of Jeans in June produced plenty of fish above the 9" mark. They are still there.

Back