Jam Event Ideas

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
JAM EVENT IDEAS

Here are some ideas for events at this year’s Jam:

LIVE FLY SWAP – Members tie and exchange flies at the Jam and guaranteed fish! Details are in the Announcement and Events topic.

STREAM / FLY FISHING REPORT – I will try to get a local shop(s) representative to talk to us about the streams, fishing and hatches in the area. More details will follow. If any member is willing to share their FF knowledge and wishes to speak or make a presentation to the group, contact me via PM.

FLY TYING DEMOS – We have a lot of talented tyers on the board. We also have a lot of beginners and intermediate tyers. Everyone is encouraged to bring their vise, tools and materials to the Jam and set it up at a table in the pavilion. This is a great opportunity for experienced tyers to share their skill and knowledge to the group. If you are a beginning tyer or just need help with some technique or pattern…DUH!…bring your vise! (free fly tying lessons!!). Beginners should not worry about bringing or not having a lot of materials, there should be plenty to share to get you started.

CASTING DEMOS - Again, PAFF has a lot of talented casters and FFers. I would like to set a time for members to meet for fly-casting demonstrations. If you’re a beginner or an intermediate casting looking to improve or learn some new tricks….DUH!…show up with your rod in hand! If any member wishes to help teach or demonstrate casting to the group, contact me via PM.

EQUIPMENT / TACKLE SWAP – Bring your [d]junk[/d] vintage or new FF equipment, clothes or tackle. Maybe you can swap it out with another member for their [d]junk[/d] stuff. You’re on your own.

LIVE ENTERTAINMENT - Join the PAFF BAND! If any member has a musical instrument and would like to bring it to entertain, feel free. One rule, no amps, microphones or loud instruments allowed! Shakey and his beer bottleneck slide provided some great entertainment last year.

If any member has any ideas on something they would like to share at the Jam, contact me via PM.

As we get closer to the Jam date, and things get firmed up, I will post a schedule of events.

I am willing to help as needed, but am probably only qualified for tying and swapping.

I was thinking of bringing my bass for some jamming, but since it's not acoustic I was thinking about bringing a 10 inch speaker practice amp. It's like a 15 watt amp and will in no way be louder than Shakey. :-D If someone has an acoustic bass that would be better. I could bring my six string acoustic, but I feel that I am not good enough on a sixer to do Shakey's tunes any justice at all.

As far as tying goes, I will have all of my materials along, since I probably won't get to tie before I get there and am running short on flies already. We are under construction at the Boyer house and I will be losing my tying space to the new baby until next year when I get the attic finished, so my "tying demo" will be quite a necessity.

Boyer

I'm not sure if afish is repeating something he learned from Rudy regarding amplified instruments or whether he just reasonably assumes that Rudy will not permit it, but it is possible that if a small amplifier is used and does not project sound much farther than a radio would, we can still get away with its use. I think this is why they make a volume knob on those things. If it is not too much trouble, bring it along and we'll see if it can be used reasonably. Perhaps all acoustic after 12:00 PM would satisfy any concerns.

JackM wrote:
I'm not sure if afish is repeating something he learned from Rudy regarding amplified instruments or whether he just reasonably assumes that Rudy will not permit it, but it is possible that if a small amplifier is used and does not project sound much farther than a radio would, we can still get away with its use. I think this is why they make a volume knob on those things. If it is not too much trouble, bring it along and we'll see if it can be used reasonably. Perhaps all acoustic after 12:00 PM would satisfy any concerns.

That was my line of thinking. In theory, with a volume knob, I can make it even more quiet than an acoustic instrument. I think my buddy will be coming along, and he is also a musician, so I may bring my acoustic as well, and I won't forget my harmonica this time. I have a cabin this year, so that's a whole lot of tent/sleeping bag/air mattress space I will be saving in my car, and I should have some room.

Boyer

ther might be a harmonica jammed under my floormat, I'll look for it.
maybe we could string up a rod and have a makeshift "washtub" bass!

I'll see if I can't scrape the old beer residue out of a blues harp or two for the jam.

For some reason, they all end up smelling like beer and cigars...

Anyone planning on coming should have a look at my info page. It collects some helpful information and links, has maps to the campground and gathering areas and also contains the basic information on just what the heck is

The 2010 PAFF Jamboree

I loved the stream/fly fishing report last year. It was great to hear a local expert talk about the streams and tactics. I learned a lot just from sitting for 20 or 30 minutes and listening.

I have alittle set of bongos i'll throw in. (I am a drummer)

We can jam at the JAM!

Maybe we'll see how your fishing and your drumming stacks up there then ;-)

HAHAHAHA.

Ryan has been grilling me lately.

I GUESS WE WILL.

i have an idea for a jam type event have people bring miscellaneous tying materials place some totally random materials in grab bags so no one knows what they are getting and have like a "chopped " style tying contest winner gets beverages submitted by participants

Not that I'm a big drinker, but I'm with Tom... I'd rather fish, talk and eat than tie during the jam... in that order. Tying is for when there's nothing better to do.

I usually tie for a few hours after I get back from the stream, or over lunch break.

Hey flipfly, kinda like iron chef. I like that idea.

We should tag along a "dunk tank" that us just my idea.
What's the status on the crazy/odd fly (idjet fly) suggested by ryfly ?

How about an awards ceremony?
Most posts...
Best post...
Most informative poster...
Most innovative fly fishing idea...
Funniest poster...
Photo contest winners...
Most trusted poster....
etc....

here's my idea pasted from the other thread.

I had an idea... figured I'd throw it out there.

I know a lot of guys tie some crazy flies out there. Was thinking of having a little competition. The object, over the JAM weekend (or one specific day) would be to catch a fish on the craziest/ugliest fly you have invented. You will have to have either evidence of a picture of the fish with the fly in its mouth, or a reliable source. The winner will be picked by a vote of those in competition. The prize will be a donation of a few flies from each competitor, winner takes all. Figured it might be something fun to add to a day's fishing. A winner might be voted on by not only the crazy fly, but size/species of fish, stream location, etc.

What do you think?

Ryan

Back