Is there any Data to show which northeastern states have the largest tout populations?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the data.

Many of the streams where I've had my most memorable and enjoyable fishing are not on the Class A list.

One of the brook trout streams that was most enjoyable is rated Class D by the PFBC.

duckfoot wrote:
To be fair, "trout per mile" is much easier for the average American fisherman to understand than a kilogram or a hectare.
But 1000 trout per mile could be 1000 fish under 6 inches, it's no indication of what the fishing is like.
On the other hand if you want to look at PFBC reports at one of their offices, you can get a pretty good breakdown of the population structure. It is probably that way at agencies in other states. Pa is the only state that has an independent agency, so in the case of stream surveys that's a pretty big advantage over other states.

Do not misinterpret Class A streams with "class A" or excellent fishing opportunities. The class A list is riddled with decoys in the form of little mountainside runoff trickles that may hold a handful of tiny brookies in higher water conditions during certain times of the year, but they aren't anything I would want to waste vacation time on. Throw a 3" trout in a mud puddle and you've got class A biomass. Make sure to account for stream size. And keep in mind that class b, c and even d streams, especially the medium to larger sized ones, often fish better because they don't have the constant pressure that the Class A rating brings.

Back